Maine Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Maine Medical Center President and CEO Richard W. (Rich) Petersen
Richard W. (Rich) Petersen

Pros
Cons
  • sometimes the work/life balance is a bit skewed (in 3 reviews)

• No one had bothered to pay any attention to it since then (in 4 reviews)

1. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, local, kind, Tufts teaching hospital, very good medical care -- with heart.

Cons

Food +/-. Parking can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Put a suggestion box somewhere, and recognize the ideas that come in.

"Great Hospital in Southern Maine"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Portland, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of committees for nurses to join to have input about nursing practice change. Pay is competitive and you get compensated more for working night shifts or evening shifts etc... Lots of growth for nurses if you want it bad enough.

Cons

Most floors rotate day/night shifts and scheduling is a nightmare. PTO is accrued and is very low and takes many years to accumulate more than 2 weeks time off. The worst thing is that you are only given 3 sick days in a rolling calendar year and you can't use your PTO for random days off during the week. They must be used for your vacation only. You get a written warning for calling out sick 4 times in a rolling calendar year, then for 5 you get a disciplinary action, and for 6 call outs you get fired. If you leave halfway through a shift, it is counted as a call out or sick day and counts against you.

"CBO Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scarborough, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Over the past 3 years the CBO has gone from a horrible place to work to the best place in Maine and possible the country. We have awesome leadership and empowered high performing work teams. Our co workers are great and you become very close and the two new leaders who arrived from away ((CT )(PC &FU) and brought a vision and some wild ideas of Lean and high performing work teams. They were like Trump making MMC great again and the establishment resisted and resisted. They brought in some of the best minds and leaders nationally such as ACR RR, MP, MN, JN, WP and many others. I was a bit resistant initially as my cubical went away was put into a Kaizen with these HEI engineers came in applying math and creating programs while guiding us in process. Over the last couple of years we have succeeded like crazy. It's like working at google or Apple we are engaged, drive change and love, the google like open workspace. I am speaking for HB, Cash, RI teams we all love it! In the past nothing got done today we escalate issues and problems when necessary have tools and process agreements and most importantly WE drive change and process and have authority and we don't have consultants giving us process. PC believes the people doing the job are the best consultants that is us!

Cons

There is still some old culture holding on especially in the PB teams but it appears leadership is beginning to start the transformation work over there.

Advice to Management

Please keep up driving change and don't give up. I think every night that I could never go back to the way it was. I would have to leave if our VP & his core leadership team left. I know there are some negative outlooks on this site that why i wrote and am encouraging my team to do the same we want great, bright, hardworking teammates. Don't be discouraged by what the minority says come and see for yourself if you are a team player and a hard work this is the place for you. Slacks need not apply as your team members will not tolerate a member not pulling their weight.

"Sr. Database Administrator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I worked at Maine Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent Salary, good manager, great co-workers.

Cons

Poor senior management, IT division has limited understanding of technology, and no formal strategic or tactical planning.

Advice to Management

Place higher value on senior IT managers with development and operational experience. Place higher value on development skills. Focus on process quality and engineering.

"Performance Evaluations in the Emergency Room,"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Portland, ME

I worked at Maine Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you were friends of the two managers , you would automatically receive an excellent review, , it didn't matter what you did, how much workyou did or didn't do, , how you treated patients or other staff , you could do no wrong..

Cons

On the flip side there were the other half of the nursing staff that the two members of nursing"management" would of rathered just sent packing . And actually they did, they lied for each other and got nurses fired. Reviews were a huge joke in the ED by these two individuals . Staff were given peer reviews forms to give out to their nursing colleagues, have them filled out on your preformance and then returned to these to management. This was to give management input into staff's skill level.They would of if anybody read them. I had left over information on my review from 3 years past which had been resolved in 2013. No one had bothered to pay any attention to it since then. They just cut and paste around it. No one that works with you actually has anything to do with your evaluation.
    because they don't have any money for merit or cost of living raises.so it didn't matter what a good job you did , they told you you were " average." Therefore not eligible for a raise. I said to my boss, How do I get a raise next year. She said " join a committee. I said "i have to work other jobs for what they arent paying me. I joined a committee the following year, guess what???? Review time came and I was still average, Imagine that. It was then I knew I was just hurting myself.

Advice to Management

Redo the entire evaluation process. Have the target goals actually apply to the work that is being done. For instance- if there is no Team to work with - Don't put down Works well with the interdisplinary team. Make it real. Instead, Stick with what matters, ask Rich Peterson and his peers who are not associated with nursing management ( because they have been pulling the rug over peoples eyes for years) Ask Mr. Peterson to interview patients on how well they are being treated. Were they made to feel welcome, where there medicated on time, were the side effects explained to them, were their questions asked, was the ED process explained , if they were anxious and said something what technique did the nurse use to help them, did the RN offer to assist with getting ready for a shower or bed, did the RN help the patient feel safe, did the RN instill confindence in what she was saying . My list is endless. Performance evaluations in the ED are not about going to a committee, its about taking the best possible care I could of someone's loved one's- And that is why I no longer work in the ED anymore . I can now use my own nursing judgement and take care of whats really important .

"Seems they have lost their way"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scarborough, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is decent. Decent pay (5 word minimum)

Cons

Management does not care or value employees.

Advice to Management

No one likes open concept, stop trying to act like they do.

8. "Security"

Former Employee - Security in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Security in Portland, ME

I worked at Maine Medical Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great hours and flexibility as needed

Cons

Low wages I would encourage more increases

Advice to Management

Increase wages so that turnover can be avoided

9. "Case manager"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co workers. Challenging work. Autonomy. The opportunity to learn and grow every day. The pay. The cafeteria is handy (too handy) and the food is pretty good

Cons

Poor paid time off. Parking is atrocious. Parking off site and being shuttled is mandatory. On site parking available only to long term employees e.g. 25 years or longer

Advice to Management

Fix the PTO. Have separate banks for holiday and sick time. Address the parking concerns.

10. "Staff nurse"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Portland, ME

Pros

MMC is one of the best hospitals I have worked at in my 30 years of nursing practice. I work here now part-time and my Director and Manager support and encourage my continued practice in the field of nursing. I have opportunities here that I have not found elsewhere. Nurses are respected and listened to here.

Cons

As with any institution, there are things that could improve. There is more need for support for direct care staff (the outside community has become almost belligerent as a result of the focus on family satisfaction).and the stress on constant "satisfaction surveys" has ironically created less rather than more focus on the care of patients. Nurses are now working under the scrutiny not of the best practice standards but instead under the scrutiny of irate (often without cause) family. Constant visitation has decreased nurse to patient engagement and often creates a dis-connect between nurses and their patients.

Advice to Management

Increase the times that nurses have with one another and with patients. Revise the visitation policy to ensure that nurses have time for assessment, medication administration, inter-professional communication (rounds). Increase support to new nurses, float nurses, part-time nurses to ensure the patient has the best possible care. Optimize staffing so that this is possible! MMC has a great reputation because it has ALWAYS done this. Do not lose this! The reason you are a great hospital is because you recruit and retain great nurses. Do not forget this.

11. "Business office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scarborough, ME

I have been working at Maine Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The health insurance benefit plans are good. There is a wow program with cash benefits if you pass the tests.

Cons

This department has changed drastically and is run by bullies. You are only there to fill a seat they could care less for you as a human being. They have lost a great number of valuable long term employees

Advice to Management

Start treating employees with respect