Maine Veterans Home Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Kelley J. Kash
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Maine Veterans Home full-time

Pros

MVH is a great place to work.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

2. "Only People Valued More Than the Employees are the Veterans"

I have been working at Maine Veterans Home full-time

Pros

In the past 15 years, I have been involved with businesses large and small, and have never come across an organization that is more committed to quality and continuous process improvement than Maine Veterans' Homes.

Cons

Like many not-for-profit organizations, the only real limiting factor is resources. I am confident that if the organization had more resources, they would use those resources to better the lives of residents and staff.

3. "Great place to work - important mission!"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Augusta, ME
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Augusta, ME

Pros

Nationally recognized quality and innovation in long-term care. Committed to being employer of choice. Robust wellness and benefits programs. Outstanding mission and staff!

Cons

Challenging work. Regional and nationwide nursing shortage puts added pressures on existing staff. Likewise, increasing state and federal regulatory mandates add to workload without increased reimbursement.

4. "Wouldn't put my dog here!"

Former Employee - CMT in Augusta, ME
    Former Employee - CMT in Augusta, ME

Pros

So rewarding working with the veterans. Met so many wonderful vets during my employment.

Cons

Staff acts like high school children. They don't take appropriate care of the veterans. They sure don't give the veterans the proper respect they deserve serving our country. All around neglectful and management turns a bind eye!

Advice to Management

Weed out your bad employees and let your outstanding ones shine! The ones that go above and beyond get overlooked due to cliquey management.

Nov 9, 2016 – Director of Marketing

We’re sorry to hear that you had a bad experience; we strive to treat our employees well and create a great working environment for everyone. We would love to address your concerns. If you would... More

5. "High School environment."

Former Employee - Certified Nurses Aide in Augusta, ME
    Former Employee - Certified Nurses Aide in Augusta, ME

I worked at Maine Veterans Home full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The residents. Working with Veterans is very rewarding. The majority is the staff. The pay is nice also along with some incentives.

Cons

The employee screaming at employees and talking down to them, knowing they will get away with it.
    False reports not getting looked into before employees are being brought into the office and screamed at so loud the rest of the staff can hear it.

Advice to Management

Look into why a lot of people are quitting on one unit and who the common denominator is. Interview the staff one by one along with all the employees that have quit recently. This one employee is costing you a lot of great employees along with making the work environment stressful. She gets away with it because she is friends with upper management.

Nov 9, 2016 – Director of Marketing

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We strive to treat our employees well and build a great working environment for everyone, and we're sorry that you had a bad experience. We would love... More

"Upper management doesn't hold their buddies accountable when they do something wrong."

Former Employee - Nurse in Augusta, ME
    Former Employee - Nurse in Augusta, ME

I worked at Maine Veterans Home part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The residents!! The staff that actually does their job and doesn't expect people to do it for them!! The pay is nice also!!

Cons

Staff that goes on bipolar rampages through the unit and get away with it because they are friends with upper management.

Advice to Management

You are losing good employees due to your lack of control over your other employees who are just there to socialize and collect a paycheck.

Nov 9, 2016 – Director of Marketing

We’re sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. We strive to be the employer of choice, and we take situations like the one you described very seriously. We would love to address your concerns... More

"Ethics = What you do when no one will ever find out."

Pros

Working for veterans is a privilege!

Cons

Many expenditures make you wonder how they are a NOT-FOR-PROFIT. Sr. management pay, expenses, waste, accountability - could be better spent on the veterans themselves.

"Love the residents, but as workers immediate to their care we have very little time and heavy workload"

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

I have been working at Maine Veterans Home full-time

Pros

Good benefits, medical/dental/eye insurance, great shifts, current Director is fantastic and works hard to work with employees, good Core Values

Cons

Poor pay, often short staffed, difficult work-life balance when time off is required, stressful and heavy work load, little time to provide great care or one-on-one time

Advice to Management

Provide adequate staffing, more education opportunities for on floor staff, increase resident activities and positive stimulation for their senses, make the Volunteer application procedure more efficient
    Listen to what residents are saying!!

9. "Very satisfied with my tenure there."

Current Employee - Director of Maintenance in Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Director of Maintenance in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Maine Veterans Home full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great feeling of accomplishment while making great friends with staff and residents.

Cons

I don't have any Cons.

"Ok place to work; some employees busier than others"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Augusta, ME

I have been working at Maine Veterans Home full-time

Pros

Overall pleasant staff and work environment
    Can be a busy work day depending on your department

Cons

A lot of clique, high school type behavior in upper management and administration
    Can be a slow work day depending on your department