Mainspring Energy Menlo Park Reviews

Updated Mar 26, 2022

Found 21 of over 40 reviews

4.8
Mainspring Energy Founder/CEO Shannon Miller  (no image)
Shannon Miller
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Exciting technology with a great team

Mar 26, 2022 - Mechanical Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You'll be surrounded by great people here, who have excellent technical know-how and are motivated to get things done. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. Leadership is great at keeping nimble focus on the critical path forward, disagreement is encouraged and there's a great emphasis on making data-driven decisions

Cons

The pace of work may feel too demanding for some, though I was always given additional support or direction on re-prioritization when I asked for it. Resources can be constrained and are directed toward the highest priority projects, so it can occasionally feel like some projects are moving slower than they could be with more resources.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Awesome Team!

Feb 16, 2022 - Supply Chain Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really unique and powerful culture of transparency, collaboration, humility, and inclusion. The team is focused on bringing our new disruptive, clean power generation technology to the world and does not get distracted by anything else.

Cons

Really no downside except maybe that we need to welcome more teammates rapidly to support our growth!

3. 5.0

Best Job I've Had

Jun 9, 2021 - Mechanical Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are some of the brightest, most well-rounded human beings I've ever met. The problems being worked on are extremely interesting technically, and they'll have a huge impact on making energy clean and affordable. The product is fascinating to learn about, and there's really no shortage of ways to make it better. Despite being a small startup with lots of potential, Mainspring's culture is not toxic at all: there's no pressure to sacrifice your mental and physical wellbeing in order to crank out more work to one-up coworkers. In fact, the core cultural values are clearly stated and are designed to maximize longevity and general satisfaction at work, while moving the company's goals forward. Employees seem happy and have families/a multitude of hobbies outside work. The leadership is excellent, and super down-to-earth. There is a lot of trust built between the difference layers of the organization. Everything is very transparent, and I can tell we are on a positive trajectory.

Cons

There are no major drawbacks that I can tell. Of course, every startup is going to have a bit more work (on occasion) than the usual 9-5, more architecture churn than established companies as requirements/priorities change, and a bit less "predicability" in roles/responsibilities. However, Mainspring manages it well. It feels like there is just enough support to make things work, and teams are continuing to grow.

4. 5.0

Cool technology, meaningful work

Nov 12, 2021 - Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The engineers at Mainspring are not only some of the smartest I've met, but they are also very thoughtful, which makes work enjoyable. The technical work is very interesting (both what I do and what I see others do) and keeps me engaged. Timelines are optimistic as expected for a startup, but it's enforced in a reasonable way such that work/life balance is respected and expected.

Cons

None that I can think of.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Exciting, fast-paced company

May 7, 2021 - --- in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Mainspring is an exciting, quickly growing startup with a truly innovative product. It's full of smart and passionate people who care about solving energy issues through cutting-edge technology. Everyone is generally good to work with, and willing to work hard to support each other. Since it's still a small company, the culture is relatively non-bureaucratic and transparent; everyone has the chance to learn about the high-level company goals, schedules, trajectory, and challenges. I've also had highly positive experiences with management and general company leadership. I've been truly grateful to work at Mainspring, where I'm engaged and challenged in new ways every day. I'd definitely recommend to anyone who cares about alternative energy tech and is willing to work hard to help develop a product with immense potential.

Cons

There have been no major cons for me working at Mainspring. Certainly everyone is expected to work hard and be a team player, and put in extra hours when necessary. The workload can be challenging, as there's always a lot to do. That said, I've been able to achieve a very reasonable "work-life balance."

6. 5.0

So glad that I joined!

May 28, 2021 - Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart and fun people. Transparent culture and management. Lots of genuine passion for the company's clean energy mission. Exciting and challenging work. Great career opportunities. Safety and employee well-being is taken seriously, and I've been impressed with how the company has handled operations during the pandemic. Growing fast and has great vision.

Cons

Hoping to see more women and minorities in senior roles soon. It's a start-up so of course there is lots of work to do - That being said I think that we could be even more proactive about hiring.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great team, challenging but rewarding work

Jul 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with and a highly competent team. The work environment is flexible and there is quite a bit of opportunity to advance your career. The product that is being developed is technically interesting and being a part of developing a sustainable energy solution is very rewarding.

Cons

As with any startup, the timeline targets can be a little ambitious but that makes for interesting and challenging (rewarding) work.

8. 5.0

Great team to work with

Jun 3, 2021 - Mechanical Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, cool technology, interesting challenges, a high-performance product that works! Coming from a large engineering firm, Mainspring has a level of transparency that is new to me, and a breath of fresh air. This is a very cooperative work environment.

Cons

We need more resources - people, test equipment and so on. A perennial problem in times of growth!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

May 27, 2021 - Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Mainspring Energy is growing at a fast pace and there is always a space for new ideas and continuous growth both personally and professionally -We get to work with various levels of management and learn a lot -A company that is committed to clean energy

Cons

As a growing company, there are a lot of changes that comes up (adding office spaces, technology updates etc.,), however, what is important is the progress in action and the role we play to support the growth.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fast Paced Innovation in Highly Collaborative Environment

Jun 9, 2021 - Staff Mechanical Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The engineering problems are challenging and diverse. I've learned a lot. The team is amazing with a company culture oriented around solving difficult problems quickly and effectively.

Cons

A fast growing startup that can feel chaotic at times as we strive to do more with limited resources. Fast growth is hard but that comes with the territory.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 Reviews