Mainspring Energy Reviews

Updated Apr 29, 2022

Found 38 of over 40 reviews

4.6
Mainspring Energy Founder/CEO Shannon Miller  (no image)
Shannon Miller

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Collaborative culture, goal oriented individuals, inclusive team spirit from the top down.(in 5 reviews)
  • "The people are all friendly and extremely competant.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Company culture is excellent, innovation, collaboration, and problem solving are all highly encouraged.(in 3 reviews)
  • "driven and team oriented.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Exciting technology with a great team

Mar 26, 2022 - Mechanical Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You'll be surrounded by great people here, who have excellent technical know-how and are motivated to get things done. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. Leadership is great at keeping nimble focus on the critical path forward, disagreement is encouraged and there's a great emphasis on making data-driven decisions

Cons

The pace of work may feel too demanding for some, though I was always given additional support or direction on re-prioritization when I asked for it. Resources can be constrained and are directed toward the highest priority projects, so it can occasionally feel like some projects are moving slower than they could be with more resources.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee

just my thoughts

Apr 29, 2022 - Field Service Technician
    Business Outlook

Pros

facilities, some of the greatest and most knowledgeable people

Cons

The manager of the team was too involved in how employees interacted and was generally was incompetent

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Awesome Team!

Feb 16, 2022 - Supply Chain Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really unique and powerful culture of transparency, collaboration, humility, and inclusion. The team is focused on bringing our new disruptive, clean power generation technology to the world and does not get distracted by anything else.

Cons

Really no downside except maybe that we need to welcome more teammates rapidly to support our growth!

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Extremely smart and humble teams

Feb 24, 2022 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the most intelligent yet humble coworkers, great work culture, latte machine, and incredibly transparent CEO.

Cons

In the most expensive area of CA.

5. 5.0

Best Job I've Had

Jun 9, 2021 - Mechanical Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are some of the brightest, most well-rounded human beings I've ever met. The problems being worked on are extremely interesting technically, and they'll have a huge impact on making energy clean and affordable. The product is fascinating to learn about, and there's really no shortage of ways to make it better. Despite being a small startup with lots of potential, Mainspring's culture is not toxic at all: there's no pressure to sacrifice your mental and physical wellbeing in order to crank out more work to one-up coworkers. In fact, the core cultural values are clearly stated and are designed to maximize longevity and general satisfaction at work, while moving the company's goals forward. Employees seem happy and have families/a multitude of hobbies outside work. The leadership is excellent, and super down-to-earth. There is a lot of trust built between the difference layers of the organization. Everything is very transparent, and I can tell we are on a positive trajectory.

Cons

There are no major drawbacks that I can tell. Of course, every startup is going to have a bit more work (on occasion) than the usual 9-5, more architecture churn than established companies as requirements/priorities change, and a bit less "predicability" in roles/responsibilities. However, Mainspring manages it well. It feels like there is just enough support to make things work, and teams are continuing to grow.

6. 5.0

Cool technology, meaningful work

Nov 12, 2021 - Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The engineers at Mainspring are not only some of the smartest I've met, but they are also very thoughtful, which makes work enjoyable. The technical work is very interesting (both what I do and what I see others do) and keeps me engaged. Timelines are optimistic as expected for a startup, but it's enforced in a reasonable way such that work/life balance is respected and expected.

Cons

None that I can think of.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Exciting, fast-paced company

May 7, 2021 - --- in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Mainspring is an exciting, quickly growing startup with a truly innovative product. It's full of smart and passionate people who care about solving energy issues through cutting-edge technology. Everyone is generally good to work with, and willing to work hard to support each other. Since it's still a small company, the culture is relatively non-bureaucratic and transparent; everyone has the chance to learn about the high-level company goals, schedules, trajectory, and challenges. I've also had highly positive experiences with management and general company leadership. I've been truly grateful to work at Mainspring, where I'm engaged and challenged in new ways every day. I'd definitely recommend to anyone who cares about alternative energy tech and is willing to work hard to help develop a product with immense potential.

Cons

There have been no major cons for me working at Mainspring. Certainly everyone is expected to work hard and be a team player, and put in extra hours when necessary. The workload can be challenging, as there's always a lot to do. That said, I've been able to achieve a very reasonable "work-life balance."

8. 5.0

So glad that I joined!

May 28, 2021 - Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart and fun people. Transparent culture and management. Lots of genuine passion for the company's clean energy mission. Exciting and challenging work. Great career opportunities. Safety and employee well-being is taken seriously, and I've been impressed with how the company has handled operations during the pandemic. Growing fast and has great vision.

Cons

Hoping to see more women and minorities in senior roles soon. It's a start-up so of course there is lots of work to do - That being said I think that we could be even more proactive about hiring.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Innovative company with bright future

May 26, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Corporate culture at Mainspring is very open where everybody is working together towards the company goals. It is refreshing to be in a place where there is very little politics involved in the company decision making. Lots of supportive and smart people at the company all the way from last hire to the founders who are all with the company. The product is great and is taking us closer to the clean energy goal.

Cons

The company has grown a lot over the last year and it has been challenging to maintain the corporate culture, especially in COVID times. Looking forward for more people return to the office.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great team, challenging but rewarding work

Jul 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with and a highly competent team. The work environment is flexible and there is quite a bit of opportunity to advance your career. The product that is being developed is technically interesting and being a part of developing a sustainable energy solution is very rewarding.

Cons

As with any startup, the timeline targets can be a little ambitious but that makes for interesting and challenging (rewarding) work.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 38 Reviews

Mainspring Energy Reviews FAQs

Mainspring Energy has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5, based on over 40 reviews left anonymously by employees. 93% of employees would recommend working at Mainspring Energy to a friend and 86% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Mainspring Energy employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Mainspring Energy. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

93% of Mainspring Energy employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Mainspring Energy 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.5 for culture and values and 4.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Mainspring Energy to be senior leadership, career development, culture and the cons to be compensation, diversity and inclusion, management.

Popular Careers with Mainspring Energy Job Seekers