KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Updated Jun 23, 2022

Found 22 of over 23 reviews

3.6

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great staff to work with, in an enjoyable environment.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
  • "In short, the accommodation, salary, constant schedule change but most of all the complete lack of respect given to the English teachers make this company one to avoid at all costs.The management is worse than I have ever worked with and I for one hope this company gets what it deserves.(in 2 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee

Depends on what you make of it

Jun 23, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent salary and the management generally cares about the well-being of all students and staff. Lots of career development opportunities. They encourage teachers to participate in decision-making and implement their own unique ideas in classes.

Cons

Communication is often unclear. There aren't enough educational experts in high positions so some of the big decisions are academically unwise or unethical.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Love

Oct 18, 2021 - English Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Major looks after it's teachers , even though we are going through a pandemic.

Cons

The emergency subbing is not nice and it is not based on a fair schedule.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fun, Kind, and Patient Company to Work For

May 2, 2021 - English Teacher in Ho Chi Minh City
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The expat staff were all easygoing, friendly, and helpful. - There were company events during special times of the year. - The training was applied and relevant. - Decent presents were always given for special times of the year (teachers day, Christmas, TET)

Cons

- Oftentimes, very short notice was given for requests (passport photos, starting new classes at new campuses), as in 1-6 days on occasion. Company-wide expats complained about this. - Resource quality (sticky balls, slappers good dice, etc.) started to decline in the later years before I stopped working there. Arguably, one could attain these things from stores, but they are harder to find than you might think. I think companies should be responsible for sourcing these things, even if teachers have to buy them.

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Gets a very bad reputation from naive ex-employees, slightly unjustified .

May 24, 2021 - English Teacher in Ho Chi Minh City
    Business Outlook

Pros

**Major is a relatively large 3rd party contractor for public (and some private) schools. Your experience will largely depend on where you are placed and who your assigned manager is.** I had a dream placement, and a horribly incompetent manager. They were willing to negotiate all aspects of contract. All my requests were negotiated and met: location, age group, hours, and wages. I had a far better deal than most of my colleagues. Make of that what you will. Regular evaluations for salary increases. The salary increase percentage is well above average. Great bonus structure too. Upper-management is great and rewards professionalism. Regular social events and functions, they go all out. Surprisingly good. Very friendly. Everyone is fun and bubbly if you're into that sort of thing. This type of behaviour is rewarded. They paid and offered new contracts to part-time teachers during school closures, due to Covid. I cannot stress this enough, they had no obligation to help, but did. They went above and beyond. This is a good illustration of upper-managements ethics compared to how some of their direct competitors handled the Covid situation.

Cons

They do largely rely on happy-go-lucky, unqualified, or non-native teachers. It takes some doing to distance yourself from being treated as such. They do still need "real" teachers to keep the better schools happy, you have to push hard for these positions. Base pay is a joke, welll below average. Negotiate. Middle-management team is extremely unorganised and unprofessional. Lacking in transparency and withholding information is common. There is an "Us Vs Them" dynamic between foreign and local staff. I often felt left in the dark. **Again, this largely depends on your assigned manager, my manager has a reputation for being clueless. This did give me zero support, but also absolute freedom which was a positive** Typical public school job. Keeping clients happy comes before education. Show up with a white face and a smile. The syllabus is weak and you will need to supply more than what is provided, or you better be good at classroom managment and time wasting. It's easy if that's what you are looking for. Lastly, they are very happy to let low-effort teachers half arse everything, and then let hard-working teachers pick up the slack. I did 6 months of full-time when I first started, and was called in to sub at the last minute constantly. It was hell. I moved to part time, and my experience drastically improved provided I had a full schedule.

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A friendly company, but highly disorganised.

Feb 9, 2021 - ESL Teacher in Ho Chi Minh City
    Business Outlook

Pros

Major Education gives you somewhere to stay as soon as you arrive. This is shared accommodation with other teachers, so you instantly get to know a network of different people. Not only that, but the company puts on a lot of social events. I think it's a good job for getting settled into HCMC, and Major are very friendly and helpful when it comes to getting you set up. There isn't much planning and really not much is asked of you. It's quite an easy role, so not bad if it's your first teaching job.

Cons

If chaos and disorganisation puts you on edge then this probably isn't for you. You have to be very flexible. This also probably isn't for you If you want to get some real experience as a teacher. If you've got a CELTA and you're expecting that you'll be able to use some of those techniques, that really isn't the case here. At times it felt more like crowd control. Sometimes it felt like teachers were expected to play the role of entertainer, rather than teacher. It can be chaotic and logic doesn't always seem to prevail when it comes to planning. For example, you may be chosen to teach in a school an hour from where you live but teachers who live really close to that school are sent elsewhere... usually somewhere really difficult for them to get to. Also, there seemed to be no logic when it came to finding substitutes for teachers who were sick. A teacher with a really busy schedule (who has already substituted several times) might be called at 6.30am to go and substitute at a school starting at 7am, whereas a teacher who has very few teaching hours may very rarely be called. Calling in sick was a really big issue, and Major doesn't do enough to follow up on teachers who are constantly calling in sick because they've been out the night before. Sadly other teachers had to pick up the slack for this.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 5.0

Great company

Nov 7, 2020 - ESL Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Major. The staff was very friendly and allowed me full creative freedom in my lessons.

Cons

A few of the academic coordinators have no idea what they are doing which can be good or bad depending on if you like to take personal responsibility for your lessons.

7. 4.0

Just as expected

Apr 18, 2018 - English As A Second Language Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly work environment - Both Vietnamese and Foreign staff are quite sociable so if you're travelling to Vietnam alone for the first time it's quite reassuring. Support staff are quite helpful - Whenever I've had an issue, I simply send them an e-mail or walk in to the office to get it fixed and it's done as soon as possible. I've had little inconveniences whilst I've been here. Classes - Although there are certainly 1 or 2 classes that can be challenging I would say if you're not prepared for that, then perhaps this isn't the job for you. Compared to the behaviour of schools in other countries, these kids are saints. Public schools are government funded and can be poor, so when coming to a hot city, be prepared to sweat. It'll happen regardless. Housing allowance/Accommodation - If you're not sure about finding a place to live in Ho Chi Minh, then majors accommodation would is a good choice. It's also a great way to meet some colleagues. Alternatively, you can opt for higher pay and find your own accommodation which suits you.

Cons

Major has contracts with a number of schools and some schools are a sizeable distance away which can make the commute a long one (though you are paid extra for any commute that is 'too far'). The language center side of major needs to enforce stricter rules upon students, as a decent proportion of language center students can be quite antagonizing.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

ESL teacher

Jun 3, 2018 - Elementary ESL Teacher in Ho Chi Minh City
    Business Outlook

Pros

- I worked full time at 1 public school. The school was very welcoming, the kids were enthusiastic, engaged and well-behaved. - I was able to take plenty of holiday to explore Vietnam - weekends away here and there plus a few 1 week / 3 week trips too. -I took the housing allowance and rented my own apartment which was ideal for me and my partner. - The first few weeks training enabled us to meet loads of other teachers and make friends - good for people nervous about being isolated in a big new city. -The other teachers also helped and encouraged each other with advice about the city and with driving - where to get a bike and a couple of group drives.

Cons

During the first few months it was tough to adjust to living in a big, busy city. The driving was daunting and the classes were hard work. However, once I got used to the teaching, the heat and driving I really enjoyed working at Major. I taught in 1 public school full-time. The students were brilliant; well-behaved and hard working. The teaching assistants were very helpful in translating games and activities. There were some mistakes in schedules and pay but these were all straightened out swiftly and all down to human error. With a small administrative team and a large number of English teachers this, I think, is fair enough.

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

As bad as it gets

Apr 27, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Ho Chi Minh City
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Living in Vietnam - Some cool expat co-workers

Cons

The turnaround rate is extremely, extremly high. This place is a sinking ship and it's such a bad working environment. The preparation material is close to none and the pay is horrible (after deductions you get payed roughly 7$ USD per hour). At other more reputable schools around the city the rate is easily 25-40 USD per hour. The worst part is the deceiving and conniving management. She plays the fake nice with employees but if you ever do something that she does not like, you get a barrage of threats. The work permit is basically payed by the teacher, as the school deducts the amount of your paycheck. Also, they pay in cash every month (that's a red flag!) so you are basically illegally employed in Vietnam. The housing is also complete garbage. The place is filthy and not taken care of by the management. Never trust what is said to you because most of the time it is not the complete picture. Most people come work for this company because they are promised that it's a great way to enjoy Vietnam. Well with the number of working hours (which comes to easily 80+hrs a week in teaching, preparation and overtime). Basically, avoid this company like the plague and do yourself a favor and find a better school. *Little tip* Do thorough research on the job market in Vietnam and read the labour code. It'll help tremendously in avoiding traps or loophole that companies such as this one do to current and prospective employees.

5 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0

Teacher mill that embodies the "business" of English education in Vietnam

Jun 19, 2018 - Chairman of An English Department in Bangkok
    Business Outlook

Pros

Accommodation is provided and there is help for obtaining a motorbike. Transportation is provided to far-flung schools within the Ho Chi Minh area. The salary was alright and was generally on time.

Cons

The company has absolutely no concern as to how the students are affected by the constant turnover of teachers during their terms. Major gives foreigners a bad name in English education in Vietnam, and continues the stereotype that horny backpackers can be let loose to teach kids how to conjugate useless verbs. The company mandates their teachers to spend a couple of hours each morning preparing lesson plans for the day and submit them for approval. There is a highly structured method of using tons of games to play with students, but they don't really learn much, except how to play games. Major's secret to getting contracts with government schools is charging a teacher fee PLUS a finder's fee for the provided teacher, but then paying out to the teacher a different figure than what the government school thinks the teacher is being paid. We were told not to have too many conversations with teaching staff, and the local staff seems to know this, and so they didn't talk to us much. The Europeans who work for Major are a bunch of hacks designed to put a Euro face on a "very" Vietnamese business model (pick-pocketing the customer while smiling).

3 people found this review helpful