Major Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Major Education Reviews

Updated Sep 26, 2019

3.2
  1. "Reputable and solid place to work"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher

I worked at Major Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good support as long as you communication with them Good structure Part time Pay very good Full time benefits decent

Cons

Pay 15 days later after you have done the work (normal practice in VN ESL jobs) Training is limited

Advice to Management

more thought out training practices

Major Education2019-09-26
  2. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Ho Chi Minh City

I have been working at Major Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly Working Environment, Open for experiment and learning

Cons

Distant working place (though they have 2+ different locations)

Major Education2019-07-22
  3. "Great Company"

Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at Major Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great support network; friendly, kind, helpful and hardworking staff & management -The Company help you from start to finish (Housing/teaching/visa etc) -Good working hours

Cons

-Sometimes travelling long distances to different schools

Major Education2019-06-25
  4. "Good option for inexperienced teachers"

Former Employee - ESL Public School Teacher

I worked at Major Education part-time for less than a year

Pros

Helpful management team, everything above board, nobody out to scam you and you always get paid what you expect to get paid.

Cons

The usual cons of working in the Vietnamese public school system - driving to work and finding the school closed and nobody bothered to tell you. Big chunks of the day waiting around for your next class, driving across town from school to school.

Major Education2019-06-04
  5. "A mix of good and bad"

Current Employee - English Teacher in Ho Chi Minh City

I have been working at Major Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Major staff are really nice and do their best to help you out when you have problems. The training was really helpful and prepared me well for working in public schools.

Cons

Not paid well enouugh for the work we do. Some people do 15 hours others over 28 a week and largely get paid the same/ a smilar amount.

Major Education2019-03-16

"I was conned and lied to"

Former Employee - Teacher in Ho Chi Minh City

I worked at Major Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

Absolutely none. Do not work for this terrible company.

Cons

I wasn't paid for the time I worked there nor were my documents returned. I was lied to and at one point my passport was withheld and I felt a prisoner. This company lies to its employees about everything. It sucks you in with false promises then becomes extremely abusive when you realise the truth. Salary is much lower than other schools and language centres. It illegally employees people without qualifications and... pays in cash so no tax is being paid It expects you to work 12 hours a day and weekends with minimal training and support. You are there to be used and at times humiliated. But don't complain because you will be insulted. Don't leave any documents with them, you'll never see them again. And expect to have fees and fines taken out of your salary. When you arrive you'll be dumped at your accommodation, which will probably be overrun with insects. Nothing is provided. Not even bedding. There will be no support. Expect to cry a lot and then wish you hadn't come. Vietnam is a wonderful place to visit. Don't let this terrible company twist you into thinking it's not. Do not work for Major Education. There are hundreds of much much better places to work.

Major Education2019-02-28

"ESL teacher"

Elementary ESL Teacher in Ho Chi Minh City

I have been working at Major Education for less than a year

Pros

- I worked full time at 1 public school. The school was very welcoming, the kids were enthusiastic, engaged and well-behaved. - I was able to take plenty of holiday to explore Vietnam - weekends away here and there plus a few 1 week / 3 week trips too. -I took the housing allowance and rented my own apartment which was ideal for me and my partner. - The first few weeks training enabled us to meet loads of other... teachers and make friends - good for people nervous about being isolated in a big new city. -The other teachers also helped and encouraged each other with advice about the city and with driving - where to get a bike and a couple of group drives.

Cons

During the first few months it was tough to adjust to living in a big, busy city. The driving was daunting and the classes were hard work. However, once I got used to the teaching, the heat and driving I really enjoyed working at Major. I taught in 1 public school full-time. The students were brilliant; well-behaved and hard working. The teaching assistants were very helpful in translating games and activities. ... There were some mistakes in schedules and pay but these were all straightened out swiftly and all down to human error. With a small administrative team and a large number of English teachers this, I think, is fair enough.

Major Education2018-06-04

"Fair experience and a good first teaching job"

Former Employee - Teacher in Ho Chi Minh City

I worked at Major Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

I found the ACs very friendly and they do the best they can with the resources available to them. I also meet some other great teachers who were a pleasure to work with and meet.

Cons

I am sure this is like many other English schools in Asia but, you will meet some expat teachers who expected HCMC to have streets to be paved with gold and then whine when they actually have to get out of bed at 8am to go to work.

Advice to Management

Make sure ACs are well supported and not over worked

Major Education2018-06-04
  9. "Great company for a first time English teacher"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Ho Chi Minh City

I have been working at Major Education full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly company, who provide training and support throughout. They have opportunities to learn Vietnamese, practice driving a scooter, and they provide help with housing and generally settling into life in Vietnam.

Cons

They have schools spread across a large area, so sometimes a lot of the day can be spent travelling to work. Most of the time my schedule was regular, working at 2 schools within half an hour of my apartment.

Major Education2018-06-04
  10. "Enjoyed my time here!"

I have been working at Major Education full-time

Pros

Great staff to work with, in an enjoyable environment. Teaching in government schools is challenging but also incredibly rewarding, and I personally gained a lot from the experience.

Cons

Struggled with sorting my work permit out

Found 17 reviews