Major Players Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jack Gratton

1. "Had a lot of potential but company strategy all wrong."

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Major Players full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice offices and still a few consultants who know the industry. Still relatively well-known in the industry.

Cons

No longer competitive bonus or salary and leadership with limited understanding of the creative industries. It feels like a recruitment company suited to junior recruiters. Erratic MD who has limited knowledge of the client base.

Advice to Management

Re-look at your strategy. Recruitment is a relationship game and not a numbers game. Value your staff and spend more time to understand your customer; the client and candidate.

Mar 2, 2017 – chairman

I write this just over a year after that comment re our strategy. We did need to review it and we have. we now have the systems and processes to back up our unique culture so our employees can shine ... More

2. "Good company"

I worked at Major Players full-time

Pros

The people are very nice, one of the freelance team leads particularly really took me under her wing and tried really hard to help me in any way she could. Great office and athmosphere

Cons

It can be quite clichy and its just expected that as long as your a big biller you can behave any way you want and treat people as badly as you want.

Advice to Management

My manager really tried to understand what motivated me so when she was trying to set me goals they would be very much based around her own agenda and not what I wanted long term.
    Sort out your top biller!

Mar 2, 2017 – chairman

We are really working on not being seen to be "clichy". we have buddy and mentor schemes which try to engage everyone as one big happy team. thanks Jx

3. "Team Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Major Players full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great bunch of people who had a good time and a great laugh

Cons

No real business focus and consistent service to clients and candidates was few and fair between.

Mar 2, 2017 – chairman

Our client and candidate service is an area we are really investing. We use netpromoter to see how we are doing and then act quickly on any areas of concern. Our score has moved to 9 in recent ... More

"Major players"

I have been working at Major Players full-time

Pros

Very well known agency, good reputation and as a result very much live clients/candidates. A head above the competition in terms of marketing and the extra support provided for consultants ie support staff

Cons

Very stats led, with fairly rigid daily structure which can feel slightly restricting. The monthly verses quarterly based targets can make it more stressful than other environments I've worked in.

The windowless environment... An office move would be great!

Advice to Management

I'd really like to see it becoming more of a quaterly targeted environment verses monthly - I meant his regarding monetary stats not overall stats

Mar 16, 2017 – chairman

Thanks for your review, I think it was generally positive! I guess on the office front, the pay off of being in a fantastic Covent Garden location is that we don't have that much natural light. Our ... More

6. "A fun, creative and enjoyable recruitment consultancy environment"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

During my time at MPL, back in the early noughties, it was staffed by ex-industry professionals who were relaxed, creatrive and godo fun - the social scene was fantastic and the woirking culture was very relaxed. The work ethics were strong, which attracted me and they stuck to their word when it came to ethical recruitment.

Cons

At times some of the management showed a level of unprofessionalism towards members of staff and that would ocassionally erupt in to political issues. Basic salaries were not very high and the bonus system did not seem to be particularly great.

Advice to Management

Hold on to the creative approach, the relaxed feel and the ex-industry consultants.

7. "Working at Major Players"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Great culture, lovely people, they look after you as a company. Rewarded for doing well. Clear guidance and KPIs.

Cons

A lot of targets and KPIs. But that's the nature of recruitment.

Advice to Management

Keep being approachable and transparent.

8. "Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Covent Garden, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Covent Garden, England (UK)

I have been working at Major Players full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a very fast paced environment and lots of opportunity. There is never a dull moment in the office. If you work hard, you are rewarded. It's a business, but also a family like environment. The great part of Major Players is they are very passionate about the areas they recruit in. All consultants seem to have a great knowledge of their areas they recruit in, and that is highly encouraged by the senior management team.. It's a great team environment and a very supportive place to work.

Cons

There are targets for consultants which you are expected to meet- like any other recruitment business.

Advice to Management

Can't think of any.

Mar 2, 2017 – chairman

Thanks for your review. I love the family atmosphere here. Jx

9. "Working at Major Players"

I have been working at Major Players full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We really champion an inclusive environment and reward hard workers really well. One of the main attractions for me when joining Major Players, was that everyone I met was a real person, they didn't speak any recruiter jargon and everyone seemed genuinely interested in the sector they recruit for. After being here for a while, that's not changed and everyone genuinely wants to work hard and do well!

Cons

At times the focus on the numbers can get frustrating, as well as the usual recruitment issues (clients not responding, candidates being flaky) but apart from this, it's a really great agency. If anything, I wish there was more natural light in the office but beggars can't be choosers, when we have a fab location.

Advice to Management

I'm really keen to continue learning all the time, whether it be a new way of working or a new client but not everyone is able to do this in exactly the same way. Try to harness the skills that people have and work with these...

Mar 2, 2017 – chairman

We have doubled our Training budget in 2017, we know it's key and we are on it! Thanks Jx

10. "Challenging but rewarding business"

I have been working at Major Players full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A business that is built around autonomy and progression. Major Players have grown and gone through, as any business does, changes. However, this business is what you make it. You want to develop a desk, do it. You want to manage, do it. The concept of glass ceilings are quite frankly shattered within an organisation like this.
    The cultural is young and vibrant (which may not be to everyone's taste), however like all businesses we are built on being commercial and successful. We tend to reflect our clients and the social / cultural aspect of the business is testament to that.
    We are fortunate to have a wide range of backgrounds in the business from ex industry, different recruitment businesses to completely different industries all together which makes for a diverse working space.
    Strong senior and consistent leadership team too.

Cons

Long hours and hard work if you want to be successful, as this business is based around building something that is your own - shouldn't be a surprise in a sales environment though.
    Quite a young team - which some people may not want.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Apr 7, 2017 – chairman

Great feedback thank you. A good reflection on what I feel we are about. Jx

11. "Progressive, creative and super fun culture"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Major Players full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a really progressive company, that is growing rapidly and investing loads into its developing its staff and making itself the best creative recruiter out there..
    I feel really valued at Major Players and unlike alot of boutique recruitment companies out there, there is real career progression available..
    There is no top drawering, or hogging of clients etc... Everyone is so helpful to each other and works together to build a better company.
    Socially its great, there is a bar in the office and dj decks, bacon sarnies and biccies - there is a real social vibe to the whole business, not your typical recruitment company..

Cons

Like any company out there that wants to grow and be successful there are targets in place but I wouldnt say they are over the top... they are achievable and still in line with making sure people work really effectively but with integrity...

I wouldn't recommend Major Players to someone who just wants to coast by and not do much, its a really transparent environment and its a progressive business that is driving creative recruitment forward so you have to be driven to work here... I believe last year a significant amount of people left because they weren't committed to driving the business forward.

Advice to Management

Training is really important for new recruiters and the training here at Major Players is way better than it used to be.. Its now a 2 week induction course. I think that all consultants junior or senior should take part.
    Work life balance is good (as good as it can be in recruitment)
    The benefits scheme seems good and better than alot of other recruiters out there.