Major Tool & Machine Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Stephen Weyreter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Exciting and challenging place to work!"

Current Employee - CFT Engineer
    Current Employee - CFT Engineer

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging projects and always something new. Fast-paced environment and solving complex problems. You are guaranteed to learn something new everyday, due to all the experience between employees. Advancement within the company is available, just need to show capability, have a good self-worth and dedication.

Cons

The business has hiccups here and there, but no business is perfect.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to improve the business as you are. We see changes coming, however being more vocal to the rest of the business would be beneficial. Personally, I would like to see more "town hall" type meetings every month to hear what we are focusing on and any challenges the business is facing.

2. "Could be great but"

Current Employee - White Collar in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - White Collar in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly stable employment, big name customers. Onsite health clinic saves money and time. Good coworkers.

Cons

Feeling you could be let go if a slowdown occurrs. Management doesn't always take employee's ideas and suggestions seriously. No 401K match. Health benefits are costly but an onsite clinic is helpful. A lot of good employees are leaving. Nepotism runs rampant.

Advice to Management

Actually LISTEN to your employees. Not just at special meetings but day to day. The real experts are in the trenches not sitting in an office. The VP's and CEO's, COO don't know everything. Not taking employee's opinions seriously kills moral. People stop contributing.

We revisit the same issues over and over. When team leaders move around, the same issues we solved a year ago come right back. Big money waster.

Stop taking on big projects without spending the time to fully research the customer's requirements. It isn't 1999 anymore. Employees are tired of being beat up because quotes are too low and customer expectations aren't defined early.

Training should consist of more than reading dry SOP's. Training should be hands on with testing before working on customer parts.

The nepotism is a big factor in good people leaving. Promotions are given to family instead of more qualified and loyal employees. Everyone talks about it!

Quality of customer product has been getting worse. Quality TL has little knowledge of quality. Can't manage his workload.

Sep 10, 2017 – VP Human Resources

We do believe that the people at Major are the real experts at their jobs and we encourage everyone to engage in improvement activities either through their own team or cross-functionally. We are... More

3. "A pay check"

Current Employee - Machinist
    Current Employee - Machinist

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work isnt bad. Laid back work environment. A lot of good people. Some benefits

Cons

Took the 401k from everybody. Insurance is the most I've ever spent with the least amount of coverage.

Advice to Management

If you dont want good people to keep leaving make it so we dont want to leave. Money, benefits, etc.

4. "Good and bad. Cool and challenging projects but pay and benefits need improving. Could be worse."

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Steady employment most of the time. Interesting projects to work on. 95% of the employees are great to work with. Most seem to put forth a good effort to try to meet deadlines and make customers happy. Chances for overtime exists a lot of the time.

Onsite healthcare facility is convenient and their staff is good. Although not real personable, the owner does seem to care about employees.

Cons

Upper management talks the talk but don't walk the walk on making meaningful improvements and solving issues that happen over and over. Tons of money could be saved.

Older workers are often the first to be let go when layoffs happen. Older employees feel like they could be next. Pension and 401K match taken away. Shop floor team members got substantial raises but salary employees got much smaller raises.

Health insurance plan is plain terrible. A lot of healthcare providers don't accept it. The plan administrators fight with providers. A lot of highly skilled long time employees have left for these reasons.

Nepotism, nepotism, nepotism. The owner's family members and friends of the owner's family get special positions created for them and promoted even though they have little experience.

Advice to Management

Stop penalizing employees by taking away bonuses and benefits just because management can't find ways to make a profit. Don't wait until it's too late to actually listen to your employees (experts) who actually do the work. The 401k match needs to come back. Medical plan needs fixed. Work/life balance needs improved. Work from home and flexible schedule opportunities need to be made available. Team building activities need to be more than athletic events.

The next 6 months are going to be critical in people's decision to stay at MTM. More good employees are going to seek other opportunities if benefits and moral don't improve.

Jul 20, 2017 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for the recognition in your rating that our culture and values are important and that we have been working hard at those. As a current employee, you are a part of that and in return, we... More

5. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Welder
    Current Employee - Welder

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

State of the art technology. Challenging projects to work on. I have found the people that I work with to be friendly and willing to help when it's needed. Great benefits.

Cons

I haven't been there long enough to see any cons.

Advice to Management

Nothing at the moment

"Major Tool"

Current Employee - Support Staff in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Major Tool has grown significantly over the past several years. They continually invest in not only equipment and machinery, but their employees, as well. The facilities are top-notch, including an exercise room and health care/wellness office, and the outlook for future work is stable. There are many who work here with 20+ years of experience, some even more (40+ years of employment at MTM is not unheard of!!!). A majority of the folks on the shop floor are dedicated, hard working people who will help and guide anyone just starting out.

Cons

As with any company, there are ups and downs. But with Major Tool, I think the biggest negative right now is the expansion (and I guess I could say, not having enough workers might be a good AND bad problem). But it will be corrected with a quickness. They are currently hiring to fill their needs, and will do so until they can match the workers-to-work ratio. It might take a while, but I have faith that MTM can achieve their goals.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're currently doing. You have made an effort to not just attract the best talent, but retain, as well. The people on the floor- and, possibly, other salaried positions- are taking notice. Also, "small" things that engage the workers are important. An HR presence on the shop floor really means a lot to them- seeing an HR rep or someone from the executive branch not just stop by and ask about the job, but maybe something about them personally makes their day. And mine, as well. If you care about a worker on a personal level, it changes everything.

"level 4 welder technician"

Former Employee - Welder in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Welder in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very interesting work and challenging. Good equipment to work with cutting edge. Even get to make custom equipment per various jobs.

Cons

As the the person said earlier about the clicks and management clubs that meet outside the company to mess with the strong employee that get it done. HR can lie all they want about UNTRUE stories. This is truth they usually have 4 to 1 management to worker bee employ.
    Management criteria( alcoholic, or ex alcoholic, drug users. divorcee, or internal affairs in company to gain power or someone else. If they feel insecure they work on you moving you around shifts, types of jobs if that don,t work they will lay you off. Therefore they don't have to a Exit Interview. Then never call you back.

Advice to Management

Hire a outside Strong COO to come in, to come in assess problem which is real easy to see. Then challenge the crooked middle/upper management shape or ship out in 6 months. then company would be awesome again like John Weyereter ran the operation. GO AHEAD HR AND COUNTER MY CLAIM. I HAVE DATES AND TIMES COUNTER YOUR UNTRUE STATEMENTS. I LETTING OTHER FUTURE EMPLOYEES KNOW THE REAL MTM SO YOU DON'T RUIN OR WASTE TIME AND HEALTH OF THERE LIVES LIKE YOU DID ME

Dec 5, 2016 – VP Human Resources

John Weyreter in fact did build and lead a very successful company until he was no longer involved in the daily business in the early 1990’s. Our company values of mutual respect, trust, hard work... More

8. "An exciting workplace"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Lots of unique and challenging jobs flow through the shop. This makes for an excellent learning environment that keeps you from getting into a stagnate routine.

High investment into the equipment..

Wonderful onsite facilities.

Cons

Employee retention is not great.
    Overall company morale is down.

Advice to Management

Focus more on investing into people instead of machines that sit idle for 12 hours a day. We should be running the equipment that we have 3 shifts a day before we get a new machine.

Experienced employees should be constantly paired with new employees to help train and assimilate. There is a lot of wasted learning opportunities.

9. "Good company"

Pros

Everyday is a new and exciting challenge with such a variety of work. Great people to work with.

Cons

Salary employees are expected to work 9 hours a day not including lunch resulting in a 10 hour day. The 401K match program has been suspended. There doesn't seem to be very good communication from management to employees.

Advice to Management

Major tool doesn't seem to be very competitive as far as salary and benefits. I think the people and type of work are primarily why people tend to stay.

10. "supervision and engineering"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

The shop floor is very clean. They utilize the latest advances in technology, (machine controls, welding techniques and methods, modeling tools). They work on some top level large projects.

Cons

I was employed with major for over 25 years. Work for them at your own peril. Management does not lead they only monitor. They take credit for everything you do well and act like they led the effort even when they had no idea what was happening. Management does what they can to ensure the team concept is used to keep wages on the floor down. Strong players are held back and their effort is never noticed. They also never give credit or recognition for work above and beyond. All of management belongs to the well kept secrete 'management club", the organization in the organization. They meet every month off site for a celebration of the months activity. This is where they pat each other on he back and enjoy bonuses for keeping cost down. They make excuses and blame their employees for everything wrong. They also enjoy a two week offsite vacation meeting somewhere like Hawaii once a year. All paid for by the company. There is one bonus at the end of the year for all employees. It is handed out based on how well you are liked and not based on your performance. This is done after management has determined their own bonuses first. The shop and support employees get whats left.The management bonuses are approximately 10 times higher than the highest shop floor bonus. Management has no respect for the shop floor employees. They also control the Indiana chapter of the NTMA and stop any employees leaving Major from working for any other company in this organization. They also don't give good references to employees that leave the company. They basically 'black ball' their employees. This includes all employees regardless of length of service. I am aware of employees that had over 10 years with them and they still gave bad references. These were good dedicated employees.Management lies to their employees. They are taught this in the 'management club'. This is not an honorable company.

Advice to Management

Start treating employees like people and not just a commodity to buy and sell. Start sharing the revenue equally and fairly with all employees and not just the management club. CEO has no idea whats going on in his own company. I'm sure he knows his management group lies to him but he needs to get out on the floor to see whats really going on.

Aug 26, 2016 – VP Human Resources

We certainly appreciate honest feedback based on facts. There are a number of pieces to this critique that are blatantly untrue, such as a secret club, monthly celebratory meetings and extravagant... More