Major Tool & Machine Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Stephen Weyreter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good place to work due to the constant changing environment and the ability to learn and grow within the company."

Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I’ve been working here for over 10 years and I can say that no two weeks have ever been the same. We are constantly faced with unique challenges that make this a one of a kind place to work. We provide work for multiple industries including defense and Aerospace. Completing projects that I know are going to aid in technological advances is very satisfying.

On-site clinic has been helpful multiple times for myself and my family.

I have been given many chances to cross train and learn new machines throughout my career here. This has allowed me to be more useful throughout the shop.

In December 2017 , the 401K Match was reinstated and paid retroactive for the entire year of 2017. This was a nice surprise.

This year, there has been a quarterly bonus implemented based on Efficiency. We can get up to a 40 Hour Bonus per quarter depending on how our company performed. This is something that the company doesn’t have to offer, but has chosen to anyway.

Over the 10+ years I’ve worked here, my pay has continued to increase with the exception of a few years.

Lots of opportunities to participate in company functions.

Access to a workout facility. Free of charge.

Cons

As a skilled machinist, I would like to be more involved in the planning of the projects that are coming to my machine. Often, a part shows up for me to run, and I am seeing it for the first time.

I would like more direct feedback from Management. I am often unsure how well I’m actually doing until my review comes.

Advice to Management

Continue with the Training Programs because it’s important that we grow our skilled work force.

Continue to invest in our current employees in order to retain our highly skilled workforce.

2. "Disappointing"

Current Employee - Senior Machinist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Machinist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This a perfect place for someone getting into the trade. They are all about new people. We have interns everywhere, Engineers right out of school, a weld class with a full time teacher. A machining class room for training guys just out of school or with little to no experience.

Cons

To much emphasis on white collar training. Can you say overhead. We have been between 90-105% efficiency the last few months and all they keep saying is our shop rates to high, go faster. Implemented a bonus plan this year instead of raise. They have raised the goal every single time we hit it.

Advice to Management

Be more appreciative of the people actually making the parts. They are the ones who basically pay your wages. The company doesn’t get paid to be a school. Heck your paying your interns as much as your skilled employees. In what world does that make since. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great we are getting young people in this field but not at the expense of guy on the floor that has a family, kids, mortgage, etc. We are the ones that make this possible, not the kid in college that still lives with his parents.

Aug 7, 2018 – VP Human Resources

First, thank you for your kind words regarding our machinists and welding training program. Enhancing skills for all of our employees is one of our highest priorities. The skill level required to... More

3. "Machinists"

Former Employee - CNC Machinist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - CNC Machinist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They will manage company treat their people very fairly

Cons

Having more diversity in the management

Advice to Management

Doing more to have diversity in the company

4. "Professional"

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dynamic company, reinvests in people and technology

Cons

Privately held small businesses always have pros and cons.
    More pros than cons.

Advice to Management

Keep investing

5. "Small but family feel company"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Close-knit workplace, opportunities to move horizontally, shop experience, diverse work

Cons

Intern program wasn’t as chalkenging as hoped, looking for something that gives me more responsibilities

"Could be great but"

Current Employee - White Collar in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - White Collar in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly stable employment, big name customers. Onsite health clinic saves money and time. Good coworkers.

Cons

Feeling you could be let go if a slowdown occurrs. Management doesn't always take employee's ideas and suggestions seriously. No 401K match. Health benefits are costly but an onsite clinic is helpful. A lot of good employees are leaving. Nepotism runs rampant.

Advice to Management

Actually LISTEN to your employees. Not just at special meetings but day to day. The real experts are in the trenches not sitting in an office. The VP's and CEO's, COO don't know everything. Not taking employee's opinions seriously kills moral. People stop contributing.

We revisit the same issues over and over. When team leaders move around, the same issues we solved a year ago come right back. Big money waster.

Stop taking on big projects without spending the time to fully research the customer's requirements. It isn't 1999 anymore. Employees are tired of being beat up because quotes are too low and customer expectations aren't defined early.

Training should consist of more than reading dry SOP's. Training should be hands on with testing before working on customer parts.

The nepotism is a big factor in good people leaving. Promotions are given to family instead of more qualified and loyal employees. Everyone talks about it!

Quality of customer product has been getting worse. Quality TL has little knowledge of quality. Can't manage his workload.

Sep 10, 2017 – VP Human Resources

We do believe that the people at Major are the real experts at their jobs and we encourage everyone to engage in improvement activities either through their own team or cross-functionally. We are... More

7. "Exciting and challenging place to work!"

Current Employee - CFT Engineer
    Current Employee - CFT Engineer

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging projects and always something new. Fast-paced environment and solving complex problems. You are guaranteed to learn something new everyday, due to all the experience between employees. Advancement within the company is available, just need to show capability, have a good self-worth and dedication.

Cons

The business has hiccups here and there, but no business is perfect.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to improve the business as you are. We see changes coming, however being more vocal to the rest of the business would be beneficial. Personally, I would like to see more "town hall" type meetings every month to hear what we are focusing on and any challenges the business is facing.

8. "Good and bad. Cool and challenging projects but pay and benefits need improving. Could be worse."

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Steady employment most of the time. Interesting projects to work on. 95% of the employees are great to work with. Most seem to put forth a good effort to try to meet deadlines and make customers happy. Chances for overtime exists a lot of the time.

Onsite healthcare facility is convenient and their staff is good. Although not real personable, the owner does seem to care about employees.

Cons

Upper management talks the talk but don't walk the walk on making meaningful improvements and solving issues that happen over and over. Tons of money could be saved.

Older workers are often the first to be let go when layoffs happen. Older employees feel like they could be next. Pension and 401K match taken away. Shop floor team members got substantial raises but salary employees got much smaller raises.

Health insurance plan is plain terrible. A lot of healthcare providers don't accept it. The plan administrators fight with providers. A lot of highly skilled long time employees have left for these reasons.

Nepotism, nepotism, nepotism. The owner's family members and friends of the owner's family get special positions created for them and promoted even though they have little experience.

Advice to Management

Stop penalizing employees by taking away bonuses and benefits just because management can't find ways to make a profit. Don't wait until it's too late to actually listen to your employees (experts) who actually do the work. The 401k match needs to come back. Medical plan needs fixed. Work/life balance needs improved. Work from home and flexible schedule opportunities need to be made available. Team building activities need to be more than athletic events.

The next 6 months are going to be critical in people's decision to stay at MTM. More good employees are going to seek other opportunities if benefits and moral don't improve.

Jul 20, 2017 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for the recognition in your rating that our culture and values are important and that we have been working hard at those. As a current employee, you are a part of that and in return, we... More

9. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Welder
    Current Employee - Welder

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

State of the art technology. Challenging projects to work on. I have found the people that I work with to be friendly and willing to help when it's needed. Great benefits.

Cons

I haven't been there long enough to see any cons.

Advice to Management

Nothing at the moment

"Major Tool"

Current Employee - Support Staff in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Major Tool & Machine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Major Tool has grown significantly over the past several years. They continually invest in not only equipment and machinery, but their employees, as well. The facilities are top-notch, including an exercise room and health care/wellness office, and the outlook for future work is stable. There are many who work here with 20+ years of experience, some even more (40+ years of employment at MTM is not unheard of!!!). A majority of the folks on the shop floor are dedicated, hard working people who will help and guide anyone just starting out.

Cons

As with any company, there are ups and downs. But with Major Tool, I think the biggest negative right now is the expansion (and I guess I could say, not having enough workers might be a good AND bad problem). But it will be corrected with a quickness. They are currently hiring to fill their needs, and will do so until they can match the workers-to-work ratio. It might take a while, but I have faith that MTM can achieve their goals.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're currently doing. You have made an effort to not just attract the best talent, but retain, as well. The people on the floor- and, possibly, other salaried positions- are taking notice. Also, "small" things that engage the workers are important. An HR presence on the shop floor really means a lot to them- seeing an HR rep or someone from the executive branch not just stop by and ask about the job, but maybe something about them personally makes their day. And mine, as well. If you care about a worker on a personal level, it changes everything.