Makerbot Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 23, 2016

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nadav Goshen

Pros
  • MakerBot employees are fiercely passionate about what they do- if you want to work with top talent in the 3D printing industry, this is the place to be (in 24 reviews)

• The Product: We have an amazing product line of 3D printers created by some incredibly bright, and creative people (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • No accountability from upper management (in 17 reviews)

• crap product that's still going through a lot of growing pains (in 11 reviews)

"Open communication"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff here is extremely friendly. Everyone is here to help you including the managers. Makerbot is the true definition of happy employees = happy company.

Cons

I have nothing to add. This is truly a great company. They are always looking to be better and are open hearing for their team.

Advice to Management

Keep being there for your team. It's great to have that open communication.

2. "MakerBot"

Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

MakerBot's technology sits at the forefront of the industry, and exciting things are happening here every day

MakerBot employees are fiercely passionate about what they do- if you want to work with top talent in the 3D printing industry, this is the place to be. I have met some of the smartest people I know here.

Company Culture is techy, creative, fun, and very welcoming.

There is a feedback loop that actually results in changes (ex. As an employee, if something bothers me I can go to HR or management and there will be steps taken to make a change for the better)

MakerBot's office has amazing views of the city from every window

Uninhibited access to 3D printing

Typical tech company perks- snacks, ping pong and pool tables, etc.

Cons

At times there can be a disconnect between the higher levels of management and the boots on the ground employees (regarding expectations, needs, concerns, etc). In my time here I have noticed steps taken to change this dynamic, but I think there is still work to be done.

Advice to Management

Making more of an effort to connect with employees will go a long way for morale. Most, if not all, employees are giving 110% to MakerBot. Recognizing that will go a long way in terms of feeling valued at the company.

"Come Back Kids"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MakerBot has been on quite the journey over the past few years. I'm happy to report that the past year has been it's strongest and it only continues to improve. The company is still young and growing but has incredible talent from Jr staff up through leadership. If you're hungry to learn and grow, this is the place as you'll have the opportunity to partake in a variety of projects.

The office is great, downtown Brooklyn, incredible Brooklyn/Manhattan views with all transport close by (A/F train into the building). The kitchen is stock to the ceiling with snacks, coffee machine on site and HR throws parties throughout the year.

Most important, the technology is one of the best industries to work in. If you love 3d printing, a fast paced environment and want to learn, you'll thrive here. Everyone is young, driven to perform and pushes you to improve.

Cons

Pay is a bit under average for the industry but is improving.

Advice to Management

Keep open dialogues with the company and listen to the employees, it will pay off.

"Everyone Loves a Comeback Story"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

- exposure and access to emerging technologies
    - mostly brilliant coworkers, strong learning culture
    - challenging and rewarding work
    - employees are well equipped to do their jobs, great office space too

Cons

- negative industry perception, slowly turnging around though
    - unusually high amount of bureaucratic waste and inefficiency for a tech startup
    - employees exhibit occasional cynicism and internal competition that can be distracting

Advice to Management

- ignore the haters and keep improving one process at a time
    - hire more experienced, proven talent
    - keep demanding higher quality and efficiency from every department, no excuses

"Vibrant, Innovative, and Fun Company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A dynamic working environment with lots of hands-on engineering. Access to tons of 3D printers and printing resources. A young company with constant new ideas and improvements.

Cons

Brooklyn can be an expensive place to live/work. A very small chain of management requires you to take initiative and work independently.

"Cool Company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Cool technology
    - Smart co-workers
    - Young and diverse workforce
    -Chances to work on projects that are fun but challenging
    - I learn something new every day

Cons

With any young company there are growing pains but I think we have the right leadership team in place.

Advice to Management

Keep being innovative and taking risks.

"Best Company and Talents in the 3D Industry, Many Career Opportunities"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

MakerBot is the best/largest company in the 3D industry. I have a chance working alongside the best talents in the industry. New leadership that appointed in 2015 have turned the company to be the leader in this field. They care about the employees with competitive benefit and encourage innovation. MakerBot is part of Stratasys which open many career opportunities.

Cons

MakerBot is located in Brooklyn downtown, which is not my favorite. not an extremely large company. many new people came on board in this year.

"Fantastic company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Makerbot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, Talented & Diligent group of people.
    Great benefits package - 401K, 3 weeks Paid Vacation, Medical, Dental & Vision Plan all supported with an FSA plan.

Cons

Company had multiple locations which kept the workforce fragmented. They have since sought to consolidate their multiple locations into mainly the downtown Brooklyn corporate location which is fantastic.

Advice to Management

Unleash the creativity that is MakerBot! That is what made and will continue to make MakerBot unique!

"Good Company with room for growth!!!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

-The culture and people are great. All employees are Energetic, Innovative, Creative and Collaborative. Which makes this an exciting place work.
    -Great Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision), 401K Match, PTO
    -Flexible work life balance (9-6), but are understanding of personal or life problems.
    - Ping Pong / Pool table
    - unlimited 3d printer access (most employees have their own on desk)
    - Room for growth (Internal transfers and promotions)
    - Great views

Cons

- more of a snack variety
    - pay is average at best.

Advice to Management

keep asking employees for their opinions and being as transparent as can be.

"Amazing People and Culture Driving the"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MakerBot is truly a unique and special place to work. The most important factor are its people and culture - the work force is young and incredibly talented. Working within both the sales and marketing groups for just under two years, I can say that I have never worked with such collaborative and hard working teams at any other company.

The leadership and teams of both the marketing and sales departments are incredible. These are the types of teams you want to join if you're talented and want a place to learn and grow with the types of hands on experience that larger companies just can't provide. Leadership allows you to truly own your portion of the business and there is no one in the office that does not feel personally responsible for pushing the business forward.

The office and culture truly buzz with positive energy - this is a place where you will never want to miss a single work event, and Downtown Brooklyn has no shortage of great establishments to visit. The office location is fantastic and I would look forward to arriving each morning.

MakerBot has also found its first true leader in CEO Jonathan Jaglom - he had to make tough decisions immediately that others could or would not do, and he is passionate about the business and company. He really trusts and supports employees at all levels to work hard and innovate relentlessly to grow the business.

MakerBot is one of the best tech companies in NYC, and a professional experience I will never forget. If you can thrive in a fast paced environment that is demanding and ultimately rewarding, it is the place for you.

Cons

Compensation was lower than average but there have been great improvements in that area- MakerBot has fostered a great environment that makes you want to stay employed there. New HR leadership has done a fantastic job where there have been issues in the past.

The product line had a ton of room for improvement in 2014 and most of 2015 - the hardware and software engineers are doing an incredible job of innovating the products to ensure that MakerBot is producing the best desktop 3D Printing technology on the market. Customer Service has also made incredible strides.

Advice to Management

2016 is going to going to be an amazing year for MakerBot - I can't wait to see where you go next.