Makerbot Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nadav Goshen
1 Rating

Pros
  • MakerBot employees are fiercely passionate about what they do- if you want to work with top talent in the 3D printing industry, this is the place to be (in 24 reviews)

• The Product: We have an amazing product line of 3D printers created by some incredibly bright, and creative people (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • No accountability from upper management (in 16 reviews)

• crap product that's still going through a lot of growing pains (in 11 reviews)

"Worker bee"

Current Employee - Maker Maker in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Maker Maker in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time

Pros

health insurance for everyone, interesting company, free lunch on friday, innovative

Cons

little loyalty to employees, contracts of employment are very restrictive, lunch is usually pretty lame, never any drinks either. impulsive management, little transparency to staff, low pay

Advice to Management

be nice to your employees

"CEO & management are paranoid and incapable"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very cool product. A lot of very smart and effective employees.

Cons

Really bad management. They simply do not communicate their intent. If and when employees finally hear what's going on, it's usually only to discover a fresh batch of poor decisions.

The "wow" factor of the product is the only thing keeping people here, and hence the only thing keeping the company alive. A lot of other companies are appearing in this space though. MakerBot's advantage will disappear quickly.

Advice to Management

Value the smart people you've hired.

And help the CEO to understand how bad at his job he is -- there's always a chance he can learn.

"An amazing group of people being taken advantage of..."

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You will never work with more talented, genuine, kindhearted and intelligent people than the ones you will find at MakerBot. Most of these people will be the leaders and innovators of the future.
    -3D printing is an amazing field to work in, it will change the world, and it is great to be a part of that process. Our products are great and could be the best.
    -Lot's of honesty and openness amongst employees. We are all on the same page.
    -Some managers and a few chief officers are good and fair people, true leaders.

Cons

-The pay is extremely low, imbalanced and an insult when compared to the money the company will waste in other places.
    -Certain employees are treated terribly. Paid unlivable wages, forced to work more than should be expected of one person and treated poorly the entire time.
    - There is a clear divide between production, corporate and retail that is getting worse and causing communication to become difficult.
    -The most powerful, and I'm assuming highest paid, employees are mostly friends or relatives. This wouldn't be so bad if they seemed more capable.
    - We have already started to lose the best employees, and more will follow if things don't get better.

Advice to Management

To the good managers and leaders:
    Keep fighting the good fight. Push back against unrealistic goals and deadlines. Pay close attention to your employees.
    To the very top:
    Please leave. You're stifling, suffocating and negative. Your paranoia and greed are showing. Make your money and get out.
    To the current and future investors:
    This company is a gold mine full of amazing talent and opportunity. We are waiting to flourish. Have us treated better and there is nothing we can't accomplish.

"My experience at Makerbot Industries (I call the place "The Enchanted Land of MakerBot")"

Former Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Productor in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They provide their employees with full health and dental benefits through Aetna. Full-time hourly employees receive 10 PAID days off (although any specific day requires one-month advance notice) each calendar year as well as 5 "sick" days (I believe this is right???) They participate in NYCT's TransitChek program. They offer direct deposit. It is BROOKLYN!!! and there is, from the factory, a spectacular view of the city. There is fresh fruit available in the break area every morning. The vending machines dispense snacks and beverages for twenty-five cents apiece. They give out cupcakes at the beginning of every month to celebrate the birthdays of any employee for whom it might then be applicable. There is a monthly "bagel breakfast" held at which a newly instituted 'employee-of-the-month' (as well as other incentive-based awards) program happens. Sometimes they buy pizza or sandwiches from Costco for the employees' lunch. There was one time when they actually served ice cream. There is a company softball team (although I never played on it). Everybody gets a t-shirt (I still got mine but really and truly never wear it). I was offered stock options. And there are some people there who I will remember fondly all the rest of my days.

Cons

The "at-will" termination clause written into each hourly employees' contract. The puntiliousness, reminiscent of my experience in elementary school, in the observance of their "occurrence" (i.e. tardiness) policy. Their policy of "mandatory overtime". The operational culture there is arguably nepotistic and not meritocratic. The most salient and germane of their deficiencies is the poor management capabilities -- very poor indeed (and by which I do mean more than simply the physical separation of their corporate offices from the factory/ warehouse facilities). Allow me, however, to steer back once again toward the statement of verifiable fact (having admittedly swayed into the oncoming traffic lane of personal opinion, indeed): I began work at MakerBot Industries on February 20th, 2013 as a 'Productor'. I, along with four other gentlemen winnowed out during the previous week's interview process (please see appropriate section), arrived at the "Botcave" (as the 'original' space is still affectionately known) along with the entire production staff -- almost every single one of whom was then returning from a two-week UNPAID hiatus resulting from a supply-chain interruption. At approximately the same time (the end of February) an entire level of management was hired on to oversee operations at what was to become their new factory/ warehouse facility. (The corporate office had by then already been established downtown.) Over the course of my almost-five-months-long tenure at their factory/ warehouse (I did resign on July 10th, 2013) I performed five distinct operational tasks: subassembly, final assembly, inspection, packaging and inventory control. In my first 45 days of employment I had three-and-one-half days off total. These were predominantly 10-hour-long days and involved either "ramped-up" production (before the relocation of the production facilities on April 1st) or, toward the end of March, everything that was involved in physically moving into "The Enchanted Land" (as I call the place). Soon after reaching 90 days of employment I received a perfectly satisfactory performance review (I had used one sick-day, waking up with it in the morning and calling in that day, and two days when I was one-and-one-half hours late {though these were days when I had previously informed, and received permission to be late from, my immediate supervisor} -- he also being my performance reviewer who in response to the direct question I asked at the end of the evaluation, "What more can I do better for you all?" answered "Not a thing.") and accordingly received the maximum allowable pay-wage increase of $3.00 per/hour. Roughly the last five weeks were wholeheartedly devoted to the systematic organization of their warehouse and the execution of an annual "auditing" (counting of the entire warehouse on-hand stock) procedure. "Arguably" (my tell-tale word) from mismanagement, poor decision-making and simply the chaos involved in actually 'moving' everything one has to anywhere else, "undesirable" (again my word) numbers and confusion resulted. Although "mandatory overtime" was no longer obliged of me (or anyone else by that time), I did, on more than a handful of occasions, go home completely and utterly exhausted (indeed having stayed late) only to pass out at home and just hoping to be able to be reasonably functional on the next-day. I suffered an allergic reaction (such as requires medical attention) to a pair of work gloves I unfortunately decided to make use of one day -- but kept on working. My birthday (which I, perhaps idiosyncratically, am wont to take off and spend as I will) fell on the day right in the middle of the week long affair the "auditing" process itself turned out to be: I worked it (my hands messed up)!!! The actual results of how everything turned out, for well or for ill, I was not made privy to. I had given to them my best efforts though; yet despite enabling the duly-licensed outside 'auditors' to most easily make their assessments (items most readily countable were invariably chosen by them and reflect my exclusive preparation (mine and that of my three helpers), and the fact that my own numbers were invariably within 1% of these same professionals' (and I dare say God's) own reckoning, I nonetheless could not persuade upper management that I merited the advertised, and salaried, position of "Supply-Chain Project Manager" (the job description for which would imply, at the very least, the disallowal of any such "arguably" mismanaged affairs ever again occurring in the future). It is, however, company policy for newly-hired Productors to wait six months before applying to any other position not constituting a "lateral move" (whatever that may mean). I, personally, haven't the patience and am at an absolute loss to understand what more I might have shown them in those last five weeks which would have prompted any further consideration on their part -- Oh yeah, that's right, I did have something, didn't I? (and have, in fact, just made a wicked 'inside' joke to those very few who are indeed in the know about this -- and to all others who aren't but still have had the patience to continue reading this far, please understand that I have finally arrived at my point): If anything about what I have written here, (because every one of these statements -- exempting those duly noted -- can be substantiated) has "raised a red-flag" in your mind, I stipulate that MakerBot Industries really and truly has no place for someone like you. Unless, of course, you are willing to do the kind of work I have alluded to, as well as I did, for $13 per/hour (this is a 30% pay increase from the actual starting wage so one shouldn't expect the next to be so very
    'generous'), or you are an engineer. Because if you are (either) then Come on down I dare say MakerBot will make up (if not find) a job for you (since) Engineers, I have said this before (out loud, in fact, just ask 'um), are Cool -- really and truly. But Productors - for them I just cannot see any there ever thriving until they take upon themselves the organization of a union. And there are some people there who I will not remember fondly any of the rest of my days.

Advice to Management

To the Director of Operations at the factory/ warehouse (and those to whom such petitions must eventually be made): central heat/ AC on the factory, if not warehouse, floor. To the members of the "leadership" team: think hard to answer the question as to why Adam Mayer and Zack Smith (among any number of other presumably hard-working and talented individuals) no longer wish to be involved in what may well prove to be your history-making endeavor; and then go ahead and cash-in the winning lottery ticket you all are sitting on -- Lord knows you deserve it. Let Stratasys, Ltd. make a corporation of your company and please remember for the rest of your days what is, in fact, the god's honest truth: We are all of us in this-(business-of-life)-thing together; and so you share the work, and you share the wealth. And to Bre: you need a speechwriter (while everyone else is pondering the inquiry proposed above).

"Designer"

Former Contractor - Designer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to a lot of food options for lunch. The view out of the building was good, but made me realize I could be somewhere else.

Cons

Completely disorganized. Unoriginal marketing tactics (very cheesy). Not very integrated or understanding of each other's capabilities. Attempts to create a company culture but turns out being plain creepy.

Advice to Management

In the design department: quick and educated design decisions need to be made instead of staring at something for 30 minutes only to not be able to decide what looks better.

"Talented people, doing cool work, but underappreciated and overworked employees."

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Making 3D printers is fun and challenging. Most people are nice and willing to help. Fast paced environment where things are always changing.

Cons

Overall, a disorganized company. Company values being cheap and underpaying employees.

"Wonderful people, terrible senior management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the most amazing people you will ever work with. I was constantly astounded by the company's ability to find the smartest, most creative and awe-inspiring individuals to work for them. Used to be a great place to work a few years ago, but no longer resembles the promising company it once was.

Cons

Soul-sucking work, terrible senior management who are pushing the company into ruin. CEO acts like a literal child. Company won't hire enough people for the amount of work that they themselves created by release a sub-par product, and as a result. Terribly unorganized. Employees are extremely underpaid, overworked and undervalued. Management seems to think a "rewards" program will bandage it's inability to pay people a liveable wage. Plastic stars don't pay rent.

Advice to Management

Senior management- Take your money and LEAVE - you are destroying the company

"Soul Crushing and Toxic"

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a ton about start up to corporate culture, about high volume work and dealing with truncated and ever-changing timelines. Made amazing connections. Also wouldn't trade all the pain and toxicity for how much I learned about the technology, and what it takes (and doesn't) to produce and support a mainstream tech product.

Cons

Terrible culture of fear, back stabbing and under-the-bus fly bys.
    Management was inconsistent, leaving a hard working population oft directionless, or direction-wrong.
    Lack of responsibility given and taken by management.
    Terrible pay, and little incentive in the way of raises.

Advice to Management

Wake up? Look around you? Is your staff happy?
    Are they really as productive as they could be?

"Amazing coworkers, horrible management"

Former Contractor - Designer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented and smart people, amazing work space, benefits are okay. The greatest aspect of this job is really the relationships you come away with from working there.

Cons

You're expected to work 10 hour days, work most federal holidays and everything is completely disorganized. The money compensation is terrible. Instead of paying people more money when they work hard for years of service they just promote them to new roles with promises of pay raise.

Advice to Management

Instead of working employees harder, I would hire more people to spread out the projects. There is now enough money to do that after the merger. I would also consider cutting back works hours to more reasonable times.

"Learn what you can then leave"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Makerbot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot about 3D printing
    Smart Co-workers
    Great job opportunities when you leave
    Free access to 3D printers

Cons

Horrible decisions from management
    Pay is way below average
    Products are rushed out the door
    Advancement is based on your who your family/friends are

Advice to Management

Too late for advice. Your demise is already at hand.