Makerbot Reviews | Glassdoor

Makerbot Reviews

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nadav Goshen

Pros
  • MakerBot employees are fiercely passionate about what they do- if you want to work with top talent in the 3D printing industry, this is the place to be (in 24 reviews)

• The Product: We have an amazing product line of 3D printers created by some incredibly bright, and creative people (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • No accountability from upper management (in 17 reviews)

• crap product that's still going through a lot of growing pains (in 11 reviews)

1. "MakerBot"

Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

MakerBot's technology sits at the forefront of the industry, and exciting things are happening here every day

MakerBot employees are fiercely passionate about what they do- if you want to work with top talent in the 3D printing industry, this is the place to be. I have met some of the smartest people I know here.

Company Culture is techy, creative, fun, and very welcoming.

There is a feedback loop that actually results in changes (ex. As an employee, if something bothers me I can go to HR or management and there will be steps taken to make a change for the better)

MakerBot's office has amazing views of the city from every window

Uninhibited access to 3D printing

Typical tech company perks- snacks, ping pong and pool tables, etc.

Cons

At times there can be a disconnect between the higher levels of management and the boots on the ground employees (regarding expectations, needs, concerns, etc). In my time here I have noticed steps taken to change this dynamic, but I think there is still work to be done.

Advice to Management

Making more of an effort to connect with employees will go a long way for morale. Most, if not all, employees are giving 110% to MakerBot. Recognizing that will go a long way in terms of feeling valued at the company.

"Open communication"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff here is extremely friendly. Everyone is here to help you including the managers. Makerbot is the true definition of happy employees = happy company.

Cons

I have nothing to add. This is truly a great company. They are always looking to be better and are open hearing for their team.

Advice to Management

Keep being there for your team. It's great to have that open communication.

"Great Coworkers"

Pros

- Group of smart individuals
    - Company perks
    - Lots of 3D printing

Cons

- Dislike the micro management style

Advice to Management

Trust in your teams

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Makerbot (More than a year)

Pros

- The Product: We have an amazing product line of 3D printers created by some incredibly bright, and creative people.
    - The Culture: Friendly, intelligent, driven, and creative co-workers, and a collaborative, innovative, yet laid back work environment. One of my favorite things we do is called "Creative Council". It's a monthly meeting where employees from each department meet to collaborate and come up with ideas and action plans to continuously improve our company culture.
    - My Team: I love the team I work with. Everyone is so supportive and kind!
    - The Perks: Beyond the medical benefits, we also have fun monthly themed office parties, offsite parties, free snacks, and coffee, a pool and ping pong table, and lots of board games!

Cons

Cross-departmental communication needs a little bit more work, but we've improved tremendously from when I first started. Now we have monthly company wide newsletters where we get to see what each department is up to which is great!

Advice to Management

Continue being transparent with employees and listening to them. Invest more in learning & development.

"Come Back Kids"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MakerBot has been on quite the journey over the past few years. I'm happy to report that the past year has been it's strongest and it only continues to improve. The company is still young and growing but has incredible talent from Jr staff up through leadership. If you're hungry to learn and grow, this is the place as you'll have the opportunity to partake in a variety of projects.

The office is great, downtown Brooklyn, incredible Brooklyn/Manhattan views with all transport close by (A/F train into the building). The kitchen is stock to the ceiling with snacks, coffee machine on site and HR throws parties throughout the year.

Most important, the technology is one of the best industries to work in. If you love 3d printing, a fast paced environment and want to learn, you'll thrive here. Everyone is young, driven to perform and pushes you to improve.

Cons

Pay is a bit under average for the industry but is improving.

Advice to Management

Keep open dialogues with the company and listen to the employees, it will pay off.

"Everyone Loves a Comeback Story"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

- exposure and access to emerging technologies
    - mostly brilliant coworkers, strong learning culture
    - challenging and rewarding work
    - employees are well equipped to do their jobs, great office space too

Cons

- negative industry perception, slowly turnging around though
    - unusually high amount of bureaucratic waste and inefficiency for a tech startup
    - employees exhibit occasional cynicism and internal competition that can be distracting

Advice to Management

- ignore the haters and keep improving one process at a time
    - hire more experienced, proven talent
    - keep demanding higher quality and efficiency from every department, no excuses

"Vibrant, Innovative, and Fun Company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A dynamic working environment with lots of hands-on engineering. Access to tons of 3D printers and printing resources. A young company with constant new ideas and improvements.

Cons

Brooklyn can be an expensive place to live/work. A very small chain of management requires you to take initiative and work independently.

"Cool Company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Makerbot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Cool technology
    - Smart co-workers
    - Young and diverse workforce
    -Chances to work on projects that are fun but challenging
    - I learn something new every day

Cons

With any young company there are growing pains but I think we have the right leadership team in place.

Advice to Management

Keep being innovative and taking risks.

"Best Company and Talents in the 3D Industry, Many Career Opportunities"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

MakerBot is the best/largest company in the 3D industry. I have a chance working alongside the best talents in the industry. New leadership that appointed in 2015 have turned the company to be the leader in this field. They care about the employees with competitive benefit and encourage innovation. MakerBot is part of Stratasys which open many career opportunities.

Cons

MakerBot is located in Brooklyn downtown, which is not my favorite. not an extremely large company. many new people came on board in this year.

"anonymous"

I have been working at Makerbot full-time

Pros

care about values and about staff deeply. want to do what is right both as a company and as leaders within the industry

Cons

still a bit of trauma from history but getting better by the day. exciting to be part of it

Advice to Management

keep values close to heart. they define the company