Makosi Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Makosi CEO Darren Isaacs
Darren Isaacs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Have your voice heard."

I have been working at Makosi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great company if you are looking for entrepreneurial spirit.
    - Upon joining Makosi you are immediately awarded and asked for you opinion on how the company can improve and help you reach your personal goals.
    - Given ownership of driving your ideas forward.

Cons

- Could improve marketing their brand to clients

2. "Assistant Vice President"

Pros

Growing company. Makosi has been expanding for the last 5 years that I have been with them. Opportunities constantly flow in from top tie banks and financial institutions.

Good career development programs, company provide professional trainings and sponsor employees for professional certification.

Supporting system, company has dedicated support team to help consultant with administrative work and focus on client.

Cons

Currently no matching for 401k plan;
    More options for insurance plan; better network.
    Clients are limited to financial service industry at this point.

3. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Makosi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Management cares and wants you to do what you're interested in and gets you motivated
    - Great worklife balance
    - Friendly, teamwork-oriented environment
    - Excellent company values that show throughout all processes

Cons

- No 401k matching
    - Expensive insurance plans

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do!

"Great Experience and Equally Exciting Work Life Balance"

Former Employee - Vice President in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Makosi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management that cares about their staff, upward mobility, mentoring, multiple opportunities to earn additional income.

Cons

None as far as I can say.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

5. "Great place to grow"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Makosi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many pros in working for a company like Makosi: Management supports an "open door policy" which they actually follow through on, you are challenged daily to grow your skills, and your ideas are always taken into consideration.

Cons

Need to grow the internal team

6. "Great place to work - I was sad to leave"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Makosi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great attitude to people
    Fair employer
    Big on continuous improvement

Cons

Changes in client management staff

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Retain talent where possible, although hard as Makosi can inadvertently be an incubator for people to move on to bigger roles

7. "Always Improving"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Makosi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Makosi as both a consultant and as part of the in-house staff. I always felt supported on site when I worked with one of their clients. With Makosi, you don't feel like a number, but part of an extended family. Working as a member of the sales team the past year, it became evident that this is a special company. Their approach towards managing relationships with clients while supporting resources is unique.

Cons

The internal systems are constantly changing, so it is sometimes difficult for employees to constantly switch platforms.

8. "Satisfied Employee"

I have been working at Makosi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent culture, many fun networking and team-building events, good compensation, management is always willing to listen to employees, CEO will not only make time for you-but encourages you to schedule 1-on-1 time with him. Makosi is very easy to work for, meaning reviews, timesheets and other admin items are kept to a minimum. Makosi doesn't waste anyone's time, freeing employees up to succeed for their clients. There is also a support/concierge person assigned to each consultant to handle any questions/concerns within 24 hours. Benefits are excellent for employees, and standard if you want to cover your family. I was very impressed with the employee only healthcare costs.

Cons

Although considered full-time (and W2) most employees who work at a client site are paid hourly/daily with the only paid time off being the mandatory NYC sick leave.

Advice to Management

Offer 1 paid week off for every year of employment for hourly/daily employees.

"Stay Away"

I worked at Makosi full-time

Pros

The best reason to work for Makosi is if you are desperate for a contract role.

Otherwise, go to a more reputable consulting firm where they will not try to talk you down to your bottom dollar.

Makosi aims for more than a 50 percent profit margin off their consultants hard work at minimum. Do yourself a favor and ask for more money.

The moment you are off contract they will forget about you, especially if you accept a daily rate from them.

Cons

No support on site.

Makosi recruiters lie outright during recruitment with promises of reallocation. They either won't be able to or won't even try.

If you are full time with a bank, do yourself a favor and stay there.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Advice to Management

Stick by the people you bring on. You claim to be employee focused but fail miserably.

Don't bother responding to this with your generic responses about reaching out to discuss because you don't care if you ruin someone's life in the process of profiting off their back.

Makosi Response

Oct 24, 2016 – CEO

We appreciate your feedback and are sincerely sorry to hear you had a negative experience with us. Makosi endeavors to ensure that all our employees and consultants have a fulfilling experience with... More

"Good reviews and negative reviews are both correct"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Makosi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If they find a role for you, it's probably going to be a good role. I have made myself a little bit of a career based on the role I took. No consulting firm bull like you have to deal with at other firms (internal work, internal reviews that matter, politics, etc.). If you think you can sell work, they can help you close.
    I'd really like to post more positive takeaways from my time here, but for the most part, you're getting put on a client site and you are either going to sink or swim, that's up to you. Negotiate a rate you are happy coming in at, then you really don't need to be connected going forward unless you'd like to be. They'll be socials and touch points with a relationship manager, but your focus is and should be on client work. To me, that was what Makosi did best.

Cons

It's not a consulting firm. That's not a bad thing - in fact, I liked that, but if you are coming from an established firm and appreciate a mature infrastructure - be warned, that doesn't exist here. HR policies are a joke, borderline teetering on criminal. Benefits are terrible - worst I've come across. If you are sinking on client site, Makosi doesn't have your back and it's not likely they'll keep you on the bench if you are sent there. Client delivery was 100% on me.

I realize this reads more negative than the positive section reads positive. That's because when things go right, they are taken for granted - again, they found a great role for me and I wouldn't have gotten the position without them. But enough things went wrong that I feel prospective employees need to know, mainly:
    - massive internal turnover that felt uncomfortable and was hush hush - more of a glaring red flag than issue I faced
    - variable compensation as a salaried employee was depressingly low. It was so low, that I almost had to call out of work on client site because I was distraught. After my bonus was paid out, my take home pay was 40% of what I had billed. As you know, that number is supposed to be 60%. I asked for the "equation" on how my bonus was determined but all I was told was that I was a top tier bonus recipient... Thoughts and prayers to anyone in a lower tiers.

As my title suggests, read the positive reviews, they are true. Read the negative reviews, they too are true. I don't regret my time by any means. Unfortunately for me and unfortunately for this review I felt like my compensation was unfair and anything but transparent. And to me, i don't really care about anything else at this point in my life. If you pay me I can overlook a lot.

Had I just been paid, this review would have been 4.5 / 5.

Advice to Management

The bread and butter regulatory compliance long term roles are going away, i would advise diversification of your portfolio

Makosi Response

Sep 1, 2016 – CEO

We appreciate this review and find it very helpful. We'd love to understand more about what you disliked about our benefits package so that we can make Makosi a top place to work. As people move on... More