Makro Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Makro Managing Director Juergen Schwarze
Juergen Schwarze

1. "Cassiere"

I worked at Makro part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big company with nice atmosphere and nice colleagues.

Cons

Company is far away from a public transportation, 15 min to walk from the metro. It can sometimes get cold inside since there are refrigerators on the first floor.

2. "Decent company to work for in the short term"

I worked at Makro part-time

Pros

Absolutely lovely staff, the nicest colleagues I've ever had the fortune of working with.
    They offer minimum 16 hour permanent contracts which are great because it shows they are ethical and are willing to guarantee at least a minimum number of hours for their staff, and provide a baseline of job security. They've got a few little bonus incentives which are nice little perks.

Cons

They seemed fairly lax when it comes to employee health and safety and their products are not the cheapest around. Many of the customers complain about how the store has gone down hill in their eyes.

Advice to Management

Look after the health and safety of your staff first and foremost (scanner guns and as little lifting as is feasibly possible). Hire at least one security guard per store.

3. "Makro Feedback"

Current Employee - General Assistant in Greenwich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - General Assistant in Greenwich, England (UK)

Pros

Beside 10% discount there is no any pros for employee working on Makro

Cons

Very poor management, no planned work schedule, working schedule change every day for next week and can't manage our self.

Advice to Management

Invest on better management.

"A Roller Coaster Ride"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Makro (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can say Makro once had a bunch of good people in terms of the general staff. I wonder how they managed to recruit and keep them considering the regular problems with management emanating from a poor strategy (as stated below).

Makro also had a good service idea, especially the HoReCa concept.

Cons

From the time I worked at Makro, I noticed many problems with Makro service delivery, but none of the problems come close to the problem of constant change of top management, Not sure whether this happened across the company, but at the Cribbs Causeway branch the top management hardly lasted two years. Every year or two a new Store Manager would be brought in from elsewhere in the company while his assistant would be brought in from outside the company. To say the least, most times these two would often struggle to work together. I remember a time when a colleague was asked by the Store Manager to put a product on front end of an isle. When the Assistant Store Manager passed by and saw my colleague setting up the product, he immediately told him to stop and remove the product. When my colleague mentioned that the Store Manager had given the instruction, the Assistant Store Manager ignored that and still asked him to remove the product, of which my colleague obliged. When the Store Manager passed by and saw that what he had instructed had not been done, he asked my colleague why he had not yet done what he had asked him to do. When he mentioned the Assistant Store Manager's counter instruction, the Store Manager asked my colleague to 'just do' what he had asked him to do. While it may sound like an exaggeration to say that this went on for a greater part of the day, this actually did happen, and it actually happened between one of the most successful managers of the Cribbs Causeway branch and his assistant.

Advice to Management

From my experience while working there, Makro had an incongruent strategy, and perhaps it is that strategy that caused problems such as the one above. To summaries their strategy, Makro structured itself a retailer on the one side and a wholesaler on the other. That is one they tended to promote and recruit Store Managers from within, but in order to continuously build the retail experience, they would recruit the Assistant Store Manager from outside the company, that is, from retail company such as the likes of Morrisons.

Thus Makro benchmarked its service delivery against two companies: Booker for wholesale and Tesco for retail. No wonder Makro was bought by Booker in the end.

To that effect, my advice is simple: If this strategy is still in use, change it immediately.

6. "Disgusting Management"

Former Employee - Branch Assistant in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Assistant in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I worked at Makro part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Colleagues were nice
    - Good rate of pay from the start
    - Short shift patterns
    - Free coffee I suppose...

Cons

- Management is an absolute shamble
    - You are expected to work faster than humanly possible every minute
    - Managers are very patronising and degrading when they speak to you
    - There is no progression through the company no matter how well you do
    - You are not allowed to do certain things like go on your phone or speak to other colleagues (I suppose the phone one is understandable) However, management will quite happily walk through the store playing Pokemon Go or stand and have a chat with a customer they know personally about non-work related stuff for sometimes hours.
    - 3 month rolling contracts and job safety is non-existent, having one day off because you are I'll or because there is an emergency will most likely cause job loss.
    I do not recommend working at Makro Stoke. I certainly will not be stepping foot in that store or any other Makro store again!

Advice to Management

- Higher management should keep an eye on what is going on throughout store rather than sitting in your office and twirling your fingers for hours or sitting in the staff room watching TV.

7. "Incopetant management"

Pros

Easy job as there was more staff than customers.

Cons

Poor management. No direction for the business. Lazy managers looking for someone else to blame for there poor performance

Advice to Management

You cant expect to get away with inadequate performance forever. Either raise your game or find something your capable of.

8. "Safe job is the Keyword !"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amadora (Portugal)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amadora (Portugal)

Pros

Overall good enviroment and good conditions Safe job.

Cons

It feels really stagnated. Allways trying to put out the same fires.No progression besides horizontal.

9. "replenshiment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Makro full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good firm to work for never late always on time

Cons

no cons that I can think off a very good firm to work for

Advice to Management

none

10. "Administrative Assistant / Cashier"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant/Cashier in Volos (Greece)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant/Cashier in Volos (Greece)

I have been working at Makro (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation & Benefits / Good Work-Life Balance / The company has great values and morals.

Cons

There are almost no career Opportunities except for becoming a full time worker from a part time position.

Advice to Management

When a new job opens up they should choose who really deserves the position by someones qualities.

11. "More cowboys than indians."

I have been working at Makro full-time

Pros

They respect hard work and comittment

Cons

You'l only find yourself on minimum pay regardless of how much effort you put into your work.