Malcolm Cisneros Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Arturo M. Cisneros

"Run by non-attorneys"

Pros

Family feel. Good insurance. Good Friday perks

Cons

Despite the managing partners, this firm is largely run by non-attorneys.

2. "Bankruptcy Specialist"

Pros

I can't think of any

Cons

Many cons. It was a ridiculous place to work. The work load was unbelievable. The bankruptcy manager will run you into to the ground until you quit or you get fired. If you want to take time off for something important you are viewed as not working hard enough. You will not be appreciated and you will be made to feel like you can never live up to unrealistic expectations of work. The bankruptcy manager is unbearable to work with. I do not recommend you take a job in this department if you are offered it.

Advice to Management

Be kind to your employees and reward them for hard work, instead of treating them poorly.

3. "YOU WILL FAIL FROM THE START"

I worked at Malcolm Cisneros full-time

Pros

I met cool peers who went through the same hell.

Cons

250CaseLoadwhich have been TERRIBLY MANAGED 2) TERRIBLE MGMT

Advice to Management

Seriously you need to apprehend the main person responsible for that department's failure. The Non-Attorney Cracking her whip and allowing MALPRACTICE to occur on a daily basis.

5. "Stressfull,underpaid, and overworked"

Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal in Irvine, CA

Pros

Free Breakfast Fridays, Casual Dress, I met some really cool people working there.

Cons

They pay extremely low well below the market rate, they hire people with very little to no experience to justify their low wages but the expectations are not entry level. You will be given a case load that is impossible to manage even the experienced paralegals were drowning in their files. Management is completely unaware how terrible things are and how their team is mostly miserable they don't understand why they have such a high turnover rate. Clients were always frustrated because we were not producing our files up to speed when in reality we were so overworked 10 - 11hour days wouldn't even get you up to speed. You will get some training but it will only cover the basics there are multiple systems to adapt too. This is the most unorganized firm i have ever worked for. The trainers think they are above you when in reality they hold the same title as you and will hound you to keep up when in reality they cant either. Some attorneys have a bad attitude because they are overworked as well and will take it out on you the paralegal.

Advice to Management

Stop paying people so poorly and expect them to manage a caseload of over 250 files and update client systems daily. Maybe then you will resolve the revolving door issue that is always occurring at your firm. Use technology to improve the workload for each individual.

"Worst job I ever had"

Pros

- They let me adjust my hours a little bit to accommodate some night classes I was taking
    - I met a couple good friends there. I think we bonded because we were going through hell together.
    - This job made me truly appreciate the job I have now

Cons

- Run like a sweatshop. Given too much work to ever catch up.
    - Pretty sure they are violating fire code. Five or six of us were crammed in a tiny 12X12 room.
    - Always asked to work overtime, nights/weekends
    - Pay was insultingly low. (it was the only job i could find at the time and I had to pay my bills).
    - High turnover, extremely low morale
    - Managers would constantly send condescending and passive-aggressive emails. They barely ever met with us directly.

"Bankruptcy Specialist"

I worked at Malcolm Cisneros full-time

Pros

Free breakfast on Fridays. Once a month free lunch from Panera or California Pizza Kitchen. Mostly casual dress policy though you have to "earn" the days by getting good client score card numbers.

Cons

Low pay. Very low pay. Strict client requirements and deadlines. Reporting to several bosses. If something isn't done by the deadline, you have to deal with many people and the client. Case management system isn't great and is pretty inefficient. Tons of "steps" for each file. No workflow report or good way to keep track of your work unless you create your own report

Advice to Management

Look into a new case management program. Move to a more paperless office environment. Allow telecommuting as this job can be done from home very easily. Ease up on all of the reports of "urgent" matters that must be done by noon or end of business. Get on board with the average pay rate for the area.

"Assistant Paralegal"

I worked at Malcolm Cisneros full-time

Pros

Great work experience.
    Great people.
    Lots of overtime opportunities.

Cons

Terrible pay for the work you do.
    Will give you a workload that is impossible to maintain.
    Treat you bad if you can't keep up with a crazy workload.

Advice to Management

You will retain more paralegals if you pay them an amount that is consistent with the amount of work you expect them to do.

"Overall bad experience, but great for a first job"

Former Employee - Assistant Paralegal in Irvine, CA

Pros

Good for a first job. Good for gaining experience. Many employees were recent college graduates and were fun to work with. Bill Malcom was personable but Cisneros was unapproachable.

Cons

High rate of turnover due to low pay. No pay raises. Micro-management. Low morale. Work was like a factory mill. Out of date methods for doing the legal work.

"I am still having nightmares!"

Pros

Casual days, good health insurance.

Cons

Where do I begin...low pay, horrible software program for bk motion department, using a program that prepares legal documents that are formatted so wrong that you spend more time fixing the formatting problems than working on the guts of the document itself, assembly line environment, $13 an hour and I had experience, but unfortunately needed a jon quickly. Pressured into working overtime and weekends, no work / life balance. The ones that have stuck around have to train new people constantly because of the revolving door issue....I am sure that gets old for them. I hope they are paying them well, but as much as they worked OT I highly doubt it. Most are kids right out of law school waiting for their bar results..the people who hold the higher positions are all part of the "family" and have no knowledge about bankruptcy law. I was embarrassed to work there and I felt like a peon. Good luck.

Advice to Management

Learn bankruptcy law. If you are not an attorney you should not be in a position managing paralegals or law clerks. They know more than you, and should be paid as such.

"Easy-going law firm"

Former Employee - Attorney in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Attorney in Irvine, CA

I worked at Malcolm Cisneros full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed environment; the management and senior attorneys are very easy to work for/with. It has a small family feel to it. No long hours required.

Cons

Lack of support staff. Lower(ish) pay and benefits. No room for upward growth in company. No motivation to work here long term, but great place to start out as a young attorney.

Advice to Management

Bump compensation for young attorneys, provide more support staff for attorneys, streamline work flow, and add transparency to the direction that the company is taking.