Malin Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Robert E. McCarter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Malin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, excellent work environment.
    co-workers always willing to share their knowledge and experience.
    Still has a family like atmosphere.

Cons

Yearly raises are not very significant.
    Increasing amount "big brother" mindset by corporate office I.e. micro-management.
    Complete Changes in standard work procedure Every few months.

2. "From long time employee"

Current Employee - Field Tech Team Lead in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Field Tech Team Lead in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Malin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is good. Don't really have anything else since they company has changed so much.

Cons

Constant change means no one is ever on the same page. Communication is none existent.

Advice to Management

Get some real management that will talk with people not just the " in group"
    Quit making changes on jobs you know nothing about.

"Run!"

Former Employee - Core Sales Representative in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Core Sales Representative in Addison, TX

I worked at Malin (More than a year)

Pros

I did make some great connections while working here.

Cons

This place is a complete quack farm.
    Everyone was really great when I first started, telling me how wonderful of a place it is to work, how they've been there for 20 years, 15, 30 etc etc..(there is really only a handful of these in the whole 400 person company but they like to showcase it)

I feel like there were a few red flags during the hiring process. (They kept emphasizing the 90 days, their cultural training etc..) but I thought to myself, I've been in sales for 12 years, have always excelled, crushed my goals, parted ways in amicable terms. I thought, naah "I'll be fine, I could never get fired, I get along with everybody, I'm a hard worker. This will be a great place to work"

With that, I would tell anyone looking to incorporate this experience into your career here:

I started in a training class of 19, (2) years ago.. By the time I left, I was #3 out of that 19.. still remaining. The worst part about that is, EVERY single one of those people were fired.
    There were several networking events I went to during my time here. I must've run into at least 6 or 7 people (all still in the industry mind you) that shared stories of their terminations from Malin. (So awkward). I still thought, "nah wouldn't happen to me, sucks for those people."

Well so it happens, I receive an offer to work for a fortune 500 company, you figure these people would be happy for me..At the very least professional about it. Instead, AFTER putting my notice in, 1 day before my last scheduled day.. they terminated me... and my boss who encouraged me to work from home for a few days during that time? Pretended like it didn't happen.. and I didn't get paid for those days.... and this was 2 weeks before Christmas.

The other kicker is, I was told I would be given a bonus/commission structure after 3 months of training. This was in writing, in my offer letter. After 2 years, it still hadn't happened (the only reason I even considered accepting the other position).

Anyway, that's my experience with Malin. I will remember it for the rest of my career. Best of luck to those of you in the job hunting process right now - I know it's tough, but I highly recommend you keep looking.

Advice to Management

No words

4. "Good company"

Former Employee - Material Handling Industrial Engineer & Project Manager in Kaufman, TX

I worked at Malin (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great profitable company, great people

Cons

Under paid and over worked

"Service"

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Addison, TX

I worked at Malin (More than a year)

Pros

Made a few friends. The techs were the only plus. They were down to earth and always so friendly. I think that's about it.

Cons

Long hours in a very nasty environment. I wouldn't know anything good about the place because we stayed copped up in a poorly lit room with no windows and crap ventilation. It was noisy, chaotic and extremely stressful. Management was two faced and very unorganized. It was pretty awful

Advice to Management

Get some professionalism

"Administration"

I have been working at Malin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have only worked for really large companies in the past. Working for this size company, knowing all of the people who work here, really feels like a family atmosphere.

Cons

So much business right now, we are all hard at work!

Advice to Management

Continue to bring in the big accounts and focus on people, even as the company continues to grow.

"Ask for a high salary"

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Addison, TX

I worked at Malin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Alot of great co workers

Cons

It was hard to get promoted unless you got along with the supervisors

8. "Accounts Receivables"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivables in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivables in Addison, TX

I worked at Malin (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and room for growth

Cons

People dont last that long. Staff is treated unfairly and they'll try to get you in any way.

Advice to Management

Respect your staff and give better benefit rates

9. "Searched my whole career for a company like Malin"

I have been working at Malin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are overall very genuine and nice. They are committed to the cause and to providing customers with a service experience like no other. The leadership is personable, helpful and carries a tenure of average 10 years - there's something to be said for that. Opportunities exist for those that work hard, take initiative and accountability. Those that aren't successful wait to be told what to do. Leadership and HR work hard to make this a comfortable, fun place to work - ice cream trucks, grilling, shaved ice, holiday parties, trainings and lunch and learns to name a few.

Cons

The company is working to make processes more streamlined and electronic. There are growing pains and patience that come along with that while those kinks get worked out.

Advice to Management

Don't let our growing size keep you from continuing to do great things for employees.

"Service Department problems"

Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Service Coordinator in Addison, TX

I have been working at Malin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can start off making up to $21/hr as a Service Coordinator, but you need to negotiate this at hire, raises afterward suck. Upward mobility and work from home opportunities occasionally present themselves if you make yourself valuable and likeable enough. Depending on the role you are placed in in Service, you can really get away with doing very little actual work. The job comes with benefits as well. The employees here are very friendly and nice and you'll like working with them.

Cons

If you're not in the right clique you will end up having to pick up the slack for less money than those who sit around and gossip on personal calls. It's very hard to take off to take yourself or your child to the doctor. They make you use your PTO in four hour blocks at a time to go to the doctor, leaving you without vacation. Service is the only department at Malin that does this. Sometimes managment is rude. If you fail to negotiate at hire, you will end up making $14-$15 an hour to do the same job as other people. The insurance is very expensive as well and overtime is often mandatory!

Advice to Management

There is a reason turnover is getting out of hand. People in other departments are wondering what's going on up in service. Stop taking people's PTO and letting your favorites work from home and stroll into the office whenever they want. And stop paying people with equal experience at a $5-$6 hour difference from your tenured employees. Show a little respect.