Maluuba Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sam Pasupalak

1. "data scientist"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maluuba full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) no lack of interesting projects to work on
    2) smart, diverse, and growing team
    3) compensation and perks are awesome (meals, health plan, events)

Cons

steep learning curve in an environment wher you are expected to hit the ground running

Advice to Management

heard they did town halls in the pass...would be cool to do monthly ones

"You don't want to work for this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maluuba full-time

Pros

Free food
    Nice coworkers
    Close to Toronto

Cons

Expect to work on various projects simultaneously but never get to finish a single one. Frustration frustration.
    Communication among different project managers doesn't exist.
    In 2015 employees were asked to leave good reviews here to leverage the score of the company therefore don't trust the good reviews. Unprofessionalism beyond imagination.

Advice to Management

Find a new CEO

"Great!"

I have been working at Maluuba full-time

Pros

A great environment with a number of super-talented people. You normally find such an opportunity in large research firms such as Google and Microsoft. With no reservation, Maluuba is a high-end research-based company, and a quite friendly environment to work for.

Cons

Extended work hours, though it would be fine (and fun!) for many people here. It definitely depends on you.

Advice to Management

Not for now.

"short time contract worker"

Former Employee - Data Collections Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Data Collections Clerk in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maluuba (Less than a year)

Pros

great work environment, working lunch is great.

Cons

i think no cons for now

"Smart Researchers Working on Interesting NLP Problems"

I have been working at Maluuba full-time

Pros

Working intimately together with a group of smart, down-to-earth colleagues who are genuinely excited about developing new approaches to solving fundamental problems. Many people on the team come from diverse backgrounds and create an environment where researcher’s thoughts are both valued and challenged in problem solving. There’s a culture of accountability so that we can focus on research and applying it into our product lines. Compensation and perks are good if not better (when considering equity) than larger tech firms like Google or Microsoft.

Cons

Having to work so closely with researchers often means we aren’t able to spend as much time collaborating with other members of the team (i.e. Product team). I’d like to do more of that personally.

Advice to Management

None so far.

"Controversial place"

Former Employee - Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maluuba full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- regular social activities, movie nights, soccer, Toronto match days etc
    - have a chance to work on things that will be demoing to giants

Cons

- toxic environment and abusive management, certain positions are treated as dispensable and people could be removed just due to short term direction changes.
    - high turnover, people come and go. Due to this a lot of things here are fragile. Legacy code could be a mystery.
    - project is not managed and most of the time deadline is not met and requires long hours.
    - management lacks idea of how to run a company. Certain words that are spoken publicly or privately are just lack of basic respect and manner. Ex-coworkers are mocked by management to create a tension to make current employees work harder. Yelling and disrespecting others from management seems very common.

Advice to Management

None.

"My experiences at Maluuba"

Current Employee - QA Tester
    Current Employee - QA Tester

Pros

When I just came here there was an internal project contest, in which I thought only engineers participate. I was neither an engineer nor a developer, and I only worked here for 2 months so I never thought I'd join. However, in the brainstorming session I happened to say a good project idea, and then I was granted a chance to get my own team and participate, and eventually my team got the 2nd place (and a hot balloon trip!). That was the time I realized one of the spirits of this company: they "judge" you by your ideas and your work, but not how long you have worked here, or how many "connections" you have in the company.
    In the brainstorm session, I was unconfident because everyone was talking about hacking stuff that I didn't even understand, so when it was my turn I nervously said "Sorry I am not an engineer and not professional...", and then our CEO replied "You may not be an engineer, but don't say you are not professional.... You can be the professional and the best." I still remember this today.

At Maluuba you can talk to whoever you want including the CEO, VP, directors and managers. They will listen to you and seriously consider your suggestions, and this rarely happens in other company. It feels like you are a member of the company, not just a gear of a big machine.
    People are nice and patient. During my time here I have learned a lot from everyone, everyday, all the time. There is no office politics here so I can simply focus on my work, and if there are misunderstanding (which happens in all company), we talk it through directly.

Maluuba provides the food including lunch, dinner, drinks and snacks! Although people complained the food sometimes, I am really appreciated about this. If the company doesn't provide the food I would spend a lot time preparing my meals or have Tim Horton's everyday...

There are also a lot events and activities here. Normally we play soccer every week, games night every month. We also go to movies. There are also BBQ, hiking, laser tag, beach, skiing and all kinds of parties through the year. In the last year's Christmas Party, almost everyone preformed, and in the last dance, the whole company stood up, held hands and danced in a big circle surrounding the whole party room. This is one of my best memory at Maluuba.

Cons

- Fast-paced and sometimes stressful, especially when there is a tight deadline. (However, my time management skill was improved a lot during the time.)

- Sometimes disorganized, in both management and documentation. This is a must taken road for any start-up company, and I can see the management is getting better. With a better management and documentation we can definitely be more efficient.

- Need to work overtime sometimes. Maluuba is not for the 9 to 5 people. It's for people who are dedicated, ambitious and hard-working. If you want to have a job that you can clock in and clock out, do repetitive tasks everyday, it's not for you.

- You'd better be a self-learner to work here because the training is not that complete. People are nice so you can always ask and learn. But if you are not proactive and self-motivated, then Maluuba is probably not for you.

Advice to Management

It's better to focus on one project and do the best than to work on a couple projects at the same time. Also, we need better planning and specification for all projects so that people have clear objectives and goals.

"Intense and Fulfilling Work Environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Maluuba full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, great vision, smoking hot technologies. It is definitely all one can expect of a high tech computer science startup that is also in a great growth acceleration phase with investments and solid sources of revenue. Lots of impressive business prospects make it a great place to be at the moment. Real professional growth opportunities. Food come from restaurants in the region selected and ranked by employee's ratings - in our wiki there is even a graph that connects people based on the similarity of their food ratings/preferences. Yoga and Chess Club!

Cons

Often important deadlines will come up and people here will jump in creating a temporary hackathon environment that eventually results in longer work hours and tons of intense team work. This may be a problem for people with strict time constraints in their schedules. Also there are a lot of projects going on at the same time so one might be expected to switch contexts very frequently during a busy week.

Advice to Management

Don't spend too long between the general company meetings where the vision and company strategy are presented by the upper management and discussed with everyone. This kind of event is of great importance for the young, ambitious and energetic people in the company as it helps them shape their dreams and plan their long term goals accordingly.

"Life is never boring in Maluuba"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

It has many big clients and millions of users, so the product you build is really used by people. And the company grows well and fast.

You can learn and use cutting-edge technology in Maluuba. And the company always explores more effective approaches to do things and encourages to innovate a lot.

People working her are smart, and have different background. Also it's very multi-cultural since the people are from all over the world. Always can learn from them.

The company structure is flat. It's easy to approach and talk to managers, VPs, CTO and CEO. And they are open to talk and likely to listen.

A lot of company activities every week: outings, video games night, board games night, chess night, movie night, etc. You don't need to worry about food or snacks any more when you work in Maluuba.

Cons

Sometimes the task is challenging and the deadline is tight. You need to work really hard to meet the deadline. But usually this is how the start-ups grow and also how you grow. You may be exhausted after a few days of work, but you would also realize the big potential you have. In addition, usually you would learn a lot in this.

Advice to Management

Compared to many other companies, the management process is less regular and formal here. The management level pays much attention to the company’s growth, but less on the regular process. It’s ok now, but may be an issue in the near future when the company is growing so fast.

"Great technology, smart team, close to UW."

I have been working at Maluuba full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks are great. Team is very friendly and really smart. Company is working on really interesting problems (machine learning and natural language processing). Lunch and dinners are great! Management travels a lot and but is easy to approach and always available when requested for meetings.

Cons

Work is fast moving and shifts been *super* tight deadlines and regular pace operations.

Advice to Management

More interaction with employees would be great. Other than that, looking forward to working on exciting and innovative projects in the future!