Malvern Instruments Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good company"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Malvern Instruments (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable employment, nice benefits, excellent products.

Cons

Poor management in the US, unable to make decisions without approval from the UK.

Advice to Management

They should be able to make decisions locally to be able to be proactive instead of reactive.

"Management is destroying this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA

I worked at Malvern Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good, hard working people in U.S. & UK.
    Company is a good stepping stone in one's career for a few years

Cons

Little chance of true career progression in U.S. office
    Senior management in U.S. poor
    Too many senior managers there too long & don't create opportunities for others
    All important strategic decisions are made in UK - US management are sales people with inflated titles

Advice to Management

Retire. Get out of the way - you are blocking the careers of people more talented than you. Another re-org is coming due to poor financial performance, yet no senior manager on either side of the ocean is ever held to account.

"a good company gone whacked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

At least up till about two years ago when I was still there, I enjoyed working with great number of very nice and smart people - colleagues I made a life time friends with even after leaving Malvern. Not sure about the situation now but I am sure some of them are still there.

Cons

What to say? It is a very strange place. The way they lay off people are very strange, and unprofessional to the least. Me and my teammate were laid off without any warning and was told we had two hours to go. There wasn't any prior warnings to my team of about to be laid off. In fact, we were the best performers. My teammate had to pull her car to the highway side to answer a phone call from HR to be informed the news of she being let go - when she was on her way to do a demo for a customer.

I worked at many places my life, never saw a place that would lay off people without any notice in advance. Not sure whose decision this was and surely not modern management behavior.

I would not recommend to work for this company at the moment, till they get their acts together and

Advice to Management

Not sure they will listen so not going to waste my time here.

"Malvern Instruments"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Malvern Instruments full-time

Pros

They really care about employees. Good benefits. Lots of training opportunities. Track your personal goals as well as company goals.

Cons

Constant, largely pointless, meetings. Every meeting lasts one hour even if everything that needs to be done is finished in the first five minutes. ISO 9000 procedures require written plans for everything whether it makes any real difference or not. Be careful not to make a bad suggestion. You'll have to write a report about why they shouldn't do it.

Advice to Management

Change focus from slavish adherence to internal processes to solving customer problems. It's amazing how well this works in other companies.

"Dissapointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Malvern Instruments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice coworkers. Broad range of interesting technologies. Allows reasonable work/life balance.

Cons

Disappointingly slow pace of development with little focus on the market. Lay-offs, budget cuts and rollbacks now seem to be the new normal.

Advice to Management

Management needs to take a closer look at the strengths & weaknesses of those leading the company and realign where necessary.

"Moving Houston engineering projects to the UK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA

I have been working at Malvern Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with/for

Cons

They closing down engineering projects in Houston and moving them to the UK by the end of 2015

"Far too much work for Far too little recognition"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I have been working at Malvern Instruments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In two words... your coworkers. These have been, for the most part some of the finest individuals I have had the pleasure of working with. All have their faults but we are all human and when it hits the fan most of us pull together and get the job done.

Cons

Well, let's see... pay sucks. On average you can expect to be about 30% below national average for workers in your field. Management isn't too bad but they have a tendency to turn a blind eye to the extra time and effort you put in and few of them are even reasonably competent to do your job. Most of them couldn't handle your workload. When you DO put in the extra time and effort you can be sure they will be there to take the credit even when they leave early almost every day.

Advice to Management

Recognize when your employees are working hard and reward them accordingly. Remember that you are only their boss as long as they let you be their boss, stop taking credit for their successes and throwing them under the bus for YOUR failures. In short, stop trying to be the coach and start being a team player. We are all in this together.

8. "US Materials Manager"

Current Employee - US Materials Manager in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - US Materials Manager in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Malvern Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, fair salary, very facilities, excellent environment to work in.

Cons

No too much opportunity for career growth.

"Lay-offs every few years"

I have been working at Malvern Instruments full-time

Pros

Great work life balance
    Nice facility
    Interesting work
    Great coworkers

Cons

Financially unstable, has led to multiple rounds of layoffs.

"Service Review"

Former Employee - Service Engineer
    Former Employee - Service Engineer

I worked at Malvern Instruments full-time

Pros

Loved doing the job. My coworkers were great to work with even in other company sites. Always helpful.

Cons

Most Management (especially upper management) didn't appreciate hard work. The job entailed so much and when extra effort was expended, they complained. Even employees in their main plant say similar things. They have good conduct and ethics policies but do not uphold them when management is the one breaking the rules. Most Management didn't support employees to do a better job.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the hard work and extra effort your employees put into the company.