Mammoth Mountain Reviews | Glassdoor

Rusty Gregory

1. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor in Mammoth Lakes, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Mammoth Lakes, CA

I have been working at Mammoth Mountain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good resort town and public transportation. Decent pay rate compared to Washington state's. Good snow lately.

Cons

Large class sizes during holidays. Strict employee housing rules. No health insurance. Windy mountain.

2. "Management focuses on the wrong things!"

Former Employee - Rental Technician
    Former Employee - Rental Technician

I worked at Mammoth Mountain full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of time to ride, most employees are friendly, Eastern Sierras are so diverse winter and summer!

Cons

Management tends to not listen to their employees and loses sight of the people that work the hardest for the betterment of the whole mountain! Management plays favorites games rely on word of mouth gossip to make important decisions ! Mammoth University a joke!

Advice to Management

Listen and better reward the people that clearly put their heart and soul into the company!

3. "Good to try once and then move on"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Counter Help
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Counter Help

Pros

Free shuttle buses, free sking and snowboarding, places to hangout in town.
    Get to meet cool people both the state and around the country.
    Decent housing and lasted until early april.

Cons

Got sent home if not enough powder dumped.

5. "Lift Operator"

I worked at Mammoth Mountain part-time

Pros

Season pass, lots of time to "ride"
    employee housing
    employee dinners
    cool people
    lots of interaction with guests
    discounts on tickets
    discounts on everything

Cons

work schedule isnt great
    hardly any days off
    low pay
    looked down upon by other departments
    last of the litter type feel
    unclear in training about rules with no handbook issued
    managers play favorites

Advice to Management

Treating your employees with respect is always great motivation. Stop letting hot girls do whatever they want

6. "Mammoth Employee"

Pros

As with any big company, you'll get some complaining about one thing or another, but I've always really enjoyed working for Mammoth. I've worked in a few different departments and while all have their "quirks" and things that require a little more patience and good humor, they all also have great people who are doing what they love in a place they love to be, and for most people and situations, that's what shines by far the most.

Cons

It's not necessarily the tightest run ship (which has both pluses and minuses - I think overall a plus, as I like the down to earth attitude and approach more than I miss the rigid structure), and does get its share of bureaucracy and office politics and gossip and whatnot. People complain about the pay (generally hovering as close to minimum wage as possible without looking like they're not trying at all to be more), but I always figure you know what you're signing up for when you sign up for it so...why are you complaining? Shut up and go ski, enjoy your life, this is a fantastic opportunity to be alive and happy and out there!

7. "I like it"

Pros

If getting over 130 days on the mountain is your goal work for the call center. They allow 4 10 hour shifts with 3 days off and you can sign up for "split shifts" which allows you a 2.5 hour ski/ride break.

Cons

Like ALL ski resorts the turnover is seasonal and based on weather. Reading through some of the reviews here it seems like some of you don't know how seasonal positions work.

Advice to Management

A company gym or discount would be great.

Also, employee housing management is rude and practice unfair (and what I believe to be illegal) housing practices (lost a star over this). My advice would be to try and avoid it. It is not a great value for your money but it is day to day and you can move in or out with no notice.

8. "Overall Good expereince"

Former Employee - Gondola Operator in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Gondola Operator in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Mammoth Mountain (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good Pay
    - Great people
    - Overall good management
    - they respect overtime

Cons

- Long hours
    - Sometimes breaks dont come, and it can be cold outside

Advice to Management

Overall, I had a great season. The only part I hated was being :at will" so never being completely secured in my job.

9. "Front desk"

Former Employee - Front Desk in Mammoth Lakes, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Mammoth Lakes, CA

I worked at Mammoth Mountain full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay wasn't that bad. More than some resorts for seasonal and year-round employees. Enjoyed my employees. Loved my managers and all the bellmans. It was a job that you wake up to and was glad to come to work for.

Cons

In the middle of nowhere. Small town if you're used to the city. Nothing much to do but Ski and other mountain activities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

10. "Worst Place I Have Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Snowboard Instructor in Mammoth Lakes, CA
    Current Employee - Snowboard Instructor in Mammoth Lakes, CA

I have been working at Mammoth Mountain full-time

Pros

*There is not one single pro that you can't get somewhere else.

Cons

First, I can say unequivocally that any positive reviews of this company are coming from Mammoth HR.
    *First, they screw up everyone's pay almost every check. The idea is to wait for you to notice, if you do. And then force you to prove it.
    *This company has a 35% net margin, had almost $50 mil in net profit, and over 90% of the staff are in poverty. There are a stack of SNAP forms in the HR office.
    *As mentioned by others, the misogyny. Management openly dates (hooks up with) staff under them and favoritism ensues. Causes a really uncomfortable work environment.
    *If you are LGBT, have brown skin, or non-Christian, do not even consider Mammoth. Be careful here, highly recommend Tahoe instead, it is ALOT safer for you.
    *Employee housing is a profit machine, they charge almost double any other rent. Problem is no summer work so a year lease is difficult. Again, they make money off housing their staff.
    Bottom line: this is a bigoted, slave-wage company. I have worked for 4 other ski resorts and this is hands down, the worst. Honestly though, if you don't believe ANY of us go for it, see for yourself. Best case, it'll be an experience so bad it's hard to top so only up from there.

Advice to Management

The majority if your staff thinks you're sleazy, literally nothing you tell anyone is true or even close to accurate, and stop screwing your employees on rent. You should be ashamed of your behavior, this is hospitality you idiots, you want the guests happy then make sure those folks taking care of them are. Read the other reviews, nothing but "bad attitudes" by staff, and tho us why.

11. "Winter Sports Instructor"

I worked at Mammoth Mountain full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These are some of the finest supervisors, trainers and managers I have worked with at any resort.

Cons

As with all seasonal Winter jobs, eventually the snow melts and one must find other vocation.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek feedback from all employees.