Managed Health Care Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael J. Sicilian

1. "Working at MHA"

Current Employee - Personal Account Representative in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Personal Account Representative in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at Managed Health Care Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am relatively new, so I have no complaints so far. I came in the company at a wonderful time (end of year holiday season.) The team that I work for is AMAZING. They are very knowledgeable and are always willing to help out. I came from a different industry, so for me, the learning curve is steep, but my team makes it manageable.

In the short time I've been here, I've seen different associates promoted, so room for growth is apparent. I am hyped at the potential I can reach being here.

Cons

None reported at this time.

"Don't work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

I worked at Managed Health Care Associates (More than a year)

Pros

Nice building. Nice area. Discount on drugs, gym membership.

Cons

Poor pay, inflexible, rigid. Lures you in saying they are one big happy family, far from the truth. Top heavy- never saw so many Directors and VP's in one small company.

Advice to Management

Get with the times, look at what employees really want now. Flexible schedules, trust and respect.

"Great place to get started"

Former Employee - Analyst in Florham Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Analyst in Florham Park, NJ

I worked at Managed Health Care Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very open company, where ambition to learn is generally recognized and appreciated. No doors are closed between employees due to differences in title. Naturally, some employees have some of their own ambitions that don't quite make the overall company better, but that is par for the course.

Cons

Common downside listed here is lack of opportunity for growth. In my opinion, I cannot necessarily disagree, but must say that I think the organizational structure that a GPO requires naturally creates a wide body and narrow bottleneck at the top. When an entire business centers around contract negotiation, those business interactions become inefficient as more and more people get added to the mix. I believe this necessitates the wide body of lower level employees and narrow bottleneck of higher level. This is not a failure of the company, it is a facet of businesses working in contract negotiation.

Secondly, compensation is not the most competitive. Bonus structure gives an inconsequential amount to all, rather than a meaningful amount to those who go above and beyond.

Advice to Management

Defend your organizational structure. Common complaints in person and on Glassdoor commonly hit on lack of opportunity for growth. Proactively explaining that lateral movement, not just vertical, is also useful might go a long way for employees that do not have the experience to recognize such benefits.

Some office politics around the C-level that did not exist a few years ago. Commonly I felt I was told some stories around reasons for reorganization that did not quite work. Rather insulting to my intelligence at times.

"Systemic failure to meet employee needs"

I worked at Managed Health Care Associates full-time

Pros

Still has (somewhat) of a small company feel, lots of great employees who are passionate about what they do and the clients they serve

Cons

Even though upper management and president have acknowledged over and over that they need to do better in terms of meeting the demands of the employees, it's been all talk and no action for years. Pay is well below acceptable market value, opportunity growth is near nonexistent (moving to another department for a different job but same pay and similar responsibilities is not "growth"), benefits are mediocre at best and sub-par in some cases, and company morale has absolutely plummeted due to very talented and bright employees leaving the company. Despite all this, they have continued to hire more VPs at an alarming pace, so top-heavy it's almost comical if it wasn't so insulting to the people who really make the company run.

Advice to Management

Talking about what needs to be done and actually getting it done are two different things - your employees understand the difference and are leaving for this reason.

5. "Analyzing membership status along with constant communication between members"

Current Employee - Membership Analyst in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Membership Analyst in Florham Park, NJ

Pros

Great atmosphere and work environment, this company allows expansion and continued success in your career life

Cons

The only con would be the traffic on the commute getting to work

6. "Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Data Reconciliation Analyst in Plainsboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Data Reconciliation Analyst in Plainsboro, NJ

I worked at Managed Health Care Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, extremely relaxed environment, growing company. Excellent health benefits, nice area. Exposure to big pharma companies that will hire you in the future.

Cons

Minimal growth opportunity within the company, so nobody strives to be better than the next guy/gal. Less than competitive pay. I worked there in 2010.

Advice to Management

When I was there, I felt like the entry-level folks such as myself weren't challenged enough. They could have downsized my particular department, and better compensated a selected group of talented individuals.

7. "Pretty Good Company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

Pros

This is a pretty good company. They pay decent, offer benefits, have pizza parties often, most of the people are great too. They do not micro manage, you come in do your work and the day goes by pretty quick.

Cons

Too many pointless meetings and they waste too much paper - go green MHA!

Advice to Management

Too many meetings.

"Good for recent college graduates to gain experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

Pros

Good company for entry level position to get some experience. Most employees are in their 20's and 30's.

Cons

Not good for long term employment. Revolving door for employees who are employed for more than 3 years. No room for growth.

9. "After acquisition by large public parent corporation - things went downhill."

Former Employee - General and Administrative in Florham Park, NJ
    Former Employee - General and Administrative in Florham Park, NJ

I worked at Managed Health Care Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very clean office space, competitive salaries, some very friendly colleagues, nice activities during and after work on occasion.

Cons

When Roper took over in May 2013, things immediately changed. Management structure was played with and it was out with the old and in with the new. Employees started leaving, there were increases in benefit costs along with reductions in coverage. What once was a very friendly work environment changed to a bit more hostile due to demands from Roper to perform. In the year 2014 people expect a little bit of flexibility when it comes to work from home and flex time -- MHA is not great with it. There are a LOT of clock watchers that are just waiting for the end of the day.

Advice to Management

Focus on the future, but don't forget the past. A slew of good people were terminated in the course of 18 months and it had a very negative effect on employee morale. Flexible work schedules and laptops for employees to work from home should be a priority. Communicate better with employees - make sure managers are honest with their subordinates.

"Used to be a great place to work. Not so much anymore. Salaries too low. Senior management reaps all benefits."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at Managed Health Care Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young enviornment, company picnic, free coffee

Cons

Due to acquistion by a publicly traded company, things are not the same.

Very high turnover from resignations and firings. You never know who's next.

Senior management team has huge egos. They won't listen to employee concerns or accept criticism. They keep hiring new VP's to 'help the company grow' but the organization is already top heavy and they won't listen to new ideas anyway. The senior management team reaps all of the benefits while the sales team and admins do all of the work and get paid horribly.

Salaries are low and benefits are basically non-existent. Vacation time is minimal and managers give you trouble about taking time off. It takes 5 years to get 3 weeks.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Give us some recognition. Go back to the old way of running MHA. It was a much better place to be.