Management Information Tools (MITS) Reviews | Glassdoor

Management Information Tools (MITS) Reviews

3.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best workplace culture I've experienced"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Management Information Tools (MITS) full-time

Pros

A couple months into working here, I told a coworker friend, "there's a lot more talking about feelings here than I expected". The company really genuinely cares about its employees, and there's a real sense of teamwork and watching out for each other. Once a month we have a casual lunch meeting where we all get together, propose topics, and discuss whatever's on our minds. This is great for communication between the teams and really fosters the sense of community.

We take that worldview to our users with our annual MITS Exchange conference. We invite users to Seattle for two fun days of talks about getting the most out of our products, and to get their input on the most valuable directions to take the product line.

As a developer, I love being on a small team because it means I get to have a real sense of ownership of the product. Unlike at one of the big software houses where I'd be stuck polishing one corner of one segment of a behemoth, here I touch the whole stack.

Misc: Good benefits. Plenty of resources - I have three computer monitors. I feel real fondness for many of my coworkers. Good coffee.

Cons

On the technology side, we are understaffed, and that does cause some stress. There's more that we want to get done than we have staff to do. Despite that, the company deeply respects the work-life balance, and we don't get pressured from management - just feel a bit pulled in multiple directions.

From the development perspective, touching the whole stack of the product means touching the parts that are less fun to work with. Though that also means having opportunities to clean up those parts, which I find enjoyable.

2. "Cool technologies + collaborative environment + smart, fun people = MITS"

Pros

Super smart people with a collective passion for helping our customers solve day-to-day problems with advanced data analysis tools. This is a truly collaborative environment (and I don't say that lightly). The benefits are out of this world. We work hard and have a lot of fun doing it, but without being asked to sacrifice time at home with family (which is very much appreciated!)

Cons

There's a lot more work to do than we have people to do it, which is a challenge. Customers want our stuff and we can't get it out fast enough, although this is sometimes challenged when we allow the noise surrounding the little stuff to delay the release of the bigger and more impactful stuff. But this is a great environment for anyone who wants to learn, grow, and feel as though their contributions are important.

Advice to Management

Better product management - especially on the smaller stuff - to help minimize interruptions that can delay larger releases.

3. "Company lacks leadership, vision - promotes nepotism"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Management Information Tools (MITS) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid technology offering. Valuable user-group events. Good company parties.

Cons

From the President on down, MITS was devoid of vision, focus, and good management sense. They made it a practice to hire family members and friends of the family and gave recent college grads with very little experience strategic roles that they were ill equipped to execute on.