Management Science Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Management Science Associates President and CEO Cathy Opsitnick
Cathy Opsitnick

Pros
  • Casual dress is a plus and there is some working at home (in 16 reviews)

• Allows work from home 2X a month (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • 401k match is barely noticeable (in 7 reviews)

• You can't add a spouse or family to your health insurance without paying an outrageous amount of money (in 7 reviews)

1. "Application Analyst"

Former Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Management Science Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This position was wonderful to work in. Coworkers were very helpful in how to do the tasks. I wish I could've seen more about how the implementations provided graceful solutions to the clients. The solutions we provided were massive and therefore it was very hard to personalize anything. When it became personal we called the reporting ad-hoc. It was a small measure to take to make each client feel appreciated.

Cons

This was a new position and did not have much leadership. The position was task orientated and the title was not congruent to the duties.

Advice to Management

Analysis is a skill that is taught. What needed analysed is the effective of the medium more than the quality of the output.

"Growth Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Management Science Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If this company does one thing good it is the potential for career growth. If you want the chance to grow and learn and develop this is a good place to start.

Cons

The pay can be a little on the low side compared to the industry.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Opportunity to diversify career, being able to take on many responsibilities and wear many hats. Good company to start your career out of school because of this.

Cons

Has a hard time deciding on who they would like to be and how to get there. Not competetive when it comes to salaries, compensation and other benefits. Little to no investment into employees which results in high turnover.

Advice to Management

Invest in employees with real opportunities instead of smoke and mirrors. Be more transparent and honest.

"good"

Pros

Smaller company, great training, great people

Cons

work is proprietary, pay could be better

Advice to Management

update software

"different"

I worked at Management Science Associates full-time

Pros

Allowed to wear casual work attire and they also provide flexible work hours and parking. Many technologies great place to gain experience.

Cons

Pay is below market and the hours and work life balance are not good

"Lifer or Bust"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Management Science Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay very early in the day on pay days, never late
    Good cafeteria
    Easy work

Cons

Huge "lifer" mentality. They will subject you to scrutiny and harassment if you do not show absolute enjoyment of being there at all time.
    Downsizes often, more than once a year. Known to create false reports of misconduct against employees to assist in downsizes.

Advice to Management

Improve employee moral and job safety in your non-lifers

"Lots going for it but too much bad"

Former Employee - Technical Support in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Management Science Associates (More than a year)

Pros

Great people (other than management), free parking is nice, the cafeteria is decent. The building is OK but has much to be desired, my boss was a cool person.

Cons

Building is deplorable. The bathrooms are like those really old high school bathrooms that are dirty and/or very outdated. You have to park in a lot a mile away and take a shuttle that's CONSTANTLY breaking down.
    Management is full of people who i feel like they have no idea what they're doing.
    The current major software platform that clients use in my division just got its first patch in over a year. Your clients are here because you collect data but your software is garbage but the company is all focused on NextGen without any concern for current-gen.
    Most project managers are clueless as to how projects should be run and you learn about major deadlines a week before they're due and then they miss deadlines because of how many bugs and issues they find right before deployment.
    Benefits are a sick joke. The company puts a maximum of $600 towards your 401K, offers NO tuition reimbursement (but we get a whopping 20% off at Chatham, woohoo!), bonuses are non-existent, and you can't even get a free cup of coffee. There are coffee stations throughout the building but but employees have setup these pay plans so you contribute to help pay for it, I mean come on at least give us a cup of coffee for all the work we do...such a bunch of cheapskates.
    Communication between departments is laughable at best. Good luck getting assistance from another department when you have customer issues on hold, they'll ignore you for days-weeks before getting back to you if they ever do.

Advice to Management

Clear house. Most management is useless, project managers don't understand what a project is, invest in your employees, Lynda.com is not investing it's being cheap. Give us free coffee. If this company was sold to another company it'd be for the better, the current ET has no idea what they're doing.

"Unorganized and confused management"

Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Management Science Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great, smart people mismatched to jobs and lacking any management guidance.
    Casual dress all week long.

Cons

lack of management insight, really poor benefits

Advice to Management

Try listening occasionally to your employees and not trampling them when your ego is bruised because they make a suggestion to move the company forward.

10. "Manager"

Pros

Moving to a new technology base.

Cons

Benefits are not very desirable.

11. "Data Analyst"

Pros

Everyone is very pleasant to work with; very helpful and accommodating for the part-time work that I was completing for them

Cons

Time lags in information - I did consulting work and sometimes there were unhelpful time lags

Advice to Management

from the experiences I had with management, no complaints. They all seem to have a single vision they are working towards and it was great to work with them