Management Sciences for Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Management Sciences for Health Reviews

Found 200 reviews

Management Sciences for Health CEO Marian Wentworth
Marian Wentworth
Pros
  • "Much better work/life balance at entry-mid level than at other similar nonprofits(in 10 reviews)

• "Good mission - great people/friends(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very little mid-level staff so jr staff are way overworked while senior leadership travel a lot and accumulate frequent flier miles(in 11 reviews)

• "Junior staff are given the work of managers but will never see a promotion or meaningful raise(in 11 reviews)

Your pessimism aside...

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

I don't think I've felt so connected to a company! I'm still young, only been working here some years, but I am optimistic. It has been a tough few years for the organization, but people are so humble and work hard at their jobs. Every day, I feel inspired by those who work at MSH because they are talented, ambitious, and strategic. As a junior staff, I feel valued and I look forward to contributing to MSH the way others...

Cons

I think some staff members share my view and are critical in a good way, but some staff members are very critical and mope when they don't make the change they want to see. In that sense, the organizational culture needs improvement and communication to/from leadership could be better.

Advice to Management

Management could listen to staff better - I know it's messy to get more people involved with decision-making, but just as much as leadership wants lead company direction, staff also want to have a voice and input ideas with what they see at the bottom.

2. downward spiral

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Good mission, some really nice and dedicated people, flexible schedules, no pressure most of the time, good career-builder place - if you have no skills or knowledge you can sit there and progress within 10 to 20 years to a nice position

Cons

Really inefficient, far from team environment, management does not care to remove the obviously unqualified personnel (among themselves too), tons of very low skilled, no experience, no knowledge, highly paid directors/managers who don't do much but the work is somewhat performed by low paid employees (who usually can't land a job anywhere else) between checking their fb and some apparel online :)

Advice to Management

Actually, the board of directors are the ones that should initiate the change. Management is bringing in their moron friends on high salaries while the organization is operating at a loss. This decreases the moral of the few qualified and dedicated people.

3. Poor management from head to toe...the supply chain “savvy” NGO

Former Employee - Senior Manager in West Medford, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health part-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Long tradition in the field of global health

Cons

The Management team lacks capacity and vision

Advice to Management

Please move away from supply chain and SIAPS you could do much better

Terrible Culture....

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

There are not many pros of the company, but there many great people here who are smart and good at their jobs. Benefits are also good for the sector.

Cons

Culture is horrible and leadership uninspiring. They keep promising change, but nothing happens. It is unclear where the organization is going both technically and operationally.

Advice to Management

Please, fix the culture. We need a culture that brings people together, not drags us down. Please get out of your offices and find out what is happening to those doing the work. It is harder out here than you think it is.

5. Senior Manager

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Great people, committed and hardworking

Cons

Leadership crisis decimating the organization of its talent

Advice to Management

Wake up and rescue MSH

6. Adjusting headcount to smaller revenue stream

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Smart, committed, reliable people. Interesting and important work

Cons

Too much reliance on a single donor. Also, work does not always seem cutting edge

Advice to Management

Need to articulate a strategy and show how investment line up against it

Wonderful people, sad decline. Hopeful for future.

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful people work at MSH who care about the mission and are quick to lend a helping hand. Very friendly staff and it feels like family. The benefits and work-life-balance are also phenomenal. Management has made some key strategic hires to get the organization back on track.

Cons

Unfortunately MSH is in a severe decline. Massive layoffs happened in January of 2017 and even with the addition of a new CEO, CFO, CCO, and Chief People and Culture Officer, the organization is struggling to win new business due to outdated technical approaches and some mismanagement of current projects. MSH is an organization that means so well, however bureaucracy, former financial problems, and current technical approaches...

Advice to Management

Revamp new business development and technical strategy including letting go of top technical personnel that are not contributing to project wins. Define clearer paths for advancement for junior staff, although this is nearly impossible currently since there is so much change and turnover.

8. Great place to work

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Focused on global health work all over the world. Worked with many talented staff.

Cons

Junior staff needed more opportunities to grow and advance.

• Great communication from new CEO!

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

MSH has some good people, great field offices, and an inspiring history.

Cons

MSH struggles to connect with its history and mission. The funding environment is getting tougher too.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good communication from the CEO.

• Short-term

I worked at Management Sciences for Health

Pros

Great mission, great people to work with

Cons

Continuous change in management made it difficult to advance

Found 200 reviews