Management Sciences for Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Management Sciences for Health President and CEO Marian Wentworth
Marian Wentworth

Pros
Cons
  • No opportunity for growth for entry, junior- or mid-level staff (in 11 reviews)

• Junior staff are often under-valued (in 9 reviews)

"Needs to refocus management"

Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Employee benefits package.
    - Laid-back.

Cons

- Salaries are usually low for middle to entry level employees.
    - Management

Advice to Management

Must take more risks and look outwards instead of always looking inwards and doing the tried and tested.

2. "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a learning organization. There are a lot of opportunity if you want to grow and develop your career.

Cons

Too many ideas and structural changes on after another within a short period of time in the name of Business Development that is confusing sometimes and takes away a lot of energy away from doing the right thing to do.

Advice to Management

Focusing on Technical Work more than internal management related activities.

"Feels like it has lost its way..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

There are some absolutely wonderful people within the organization who are extremely dedicated. Great benefits and good work/life balance. Diverse staff.

Cons

Lots of employee turnover, and some discouragement about the many, many changes taking place simultaneous. It feels a little colder than the family-like nonprofit that it used to be. Raises are so minimal that it's a bit insulting.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending that everything is great, and be real with employees about what is/isn't going well. Find a way to maintain a warm and caring environment while putting changes in place.

"Project Associate"

Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, learning opportunities, values, culture, diversity

Cons

Compensation, senior management, low advancement, politics, hierarchy

"Change is always unsettling but constant"

Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

Pros

I have been with MSH for just over 3 years now and I have seen a tremendous change in the organization. The transition from being one big family to a more corporate like environment has been visible but necessary. The organization has great people working here and I personally enjoy working here even if it seems chaotic at times. All organizations experience similar behaviors. The project staff are wonderful and continue to do the good work.

Cons

The changes that are currently associated with the reorganization is unsettling and the moral a little low. That is understandable and we all hope that once it is over, we can settle down and hopefully see the change in action. I do believe that it is the right direction and will enable MSH to focus on new business development.

Advice to Management

Middle Management need to step up and take ownership. They feel entitled and blame everything on the LT.

"Skeleton Crew"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

Pros

I have met some amazingly talented and brilliant people at MSH however very few remain after they recognized how clueless and self absorbed the Senior Leadership has become.

Cons

Senior leadership has forgotten that project staff (not them) are the people that make the organization look good and bring in new work.
    A multitude of changes in 1 year with no transparency or logic has caused the organization to hemorrhage the best employees.
    The hardest working staff are paid the least and treated with little respect though most are sitting on years of experience and masters degrees.
    High paid upper management positions continue to be created and filled while project staff dwindles and stress increases on the few remaining employees.
    Many departments are short on staff and behind on work because of a lack of direction and understanding causing a ripple effect across the organization.
    Zero room for growth and any upward movement is only available when staff quit because of frustration with the organization.

Advice to Management

In over 3 years I have watched this organization go from a brilliant, respectable functioning place to a sinking ship that everyone can't wait to get off. The CEO used to make a presence in every department and visit staff working after hours, these days no one has seen anyone in upper management visit in over a year.
    Stop hiring VP's and upper management positions and invest in your project staff and new business teams.

8. "MSH review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Global presence with core technical business related to strengthening health systems. Such a diversity provides a great opportunity to work and learn in various settings and health disease areas. Great benefit package for all full-time employees.

Cons

Too bureaucratic internal systems. Need to improve management style. Technical leadership is not uniform. There are some silos across many technical areas. Technical centers have also become quite territorial with limited synergies.

Advice to Management

Improve efficiency at various levels of the organization. Consider consolidation of technical teams to improve technical leadership. Build better systems in place across a small number of core/key functions.

"Too many captains, not enough sailors."

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

The project work is fulfilling and gratifying.
    Very diverse group of international colleagues with impressive experience.

Cons

The organization is a group of isolated camps, creating fracture lines down through the organization, polarizing the people who have to interact across them.

Little incentive to cooperate, collaborate, share information, or team up to pursue mission-critical outcomes.

Mentoring or training and is viewed as a cost or expense rather than an investment.

There is basically a 1-3% difference in the raise a high performer receives and a lower less engaged employee. If your job requires you to work harder, why bother?

Advice to Management

Invest in your lower level staff and promote from within.

Hiring layer upon layer of management and executives from the outside doesn't fix the problems, it adds to them.

Focus on one primary goal, strategy, or problem long enough to gain momentum in solving it.

"Change is all around us... Give it time"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Medford, MA

Pros

Some of the most intelligent, dedicated, diverse, and wonderful people I have ever worked with. A mission with a world-wide purpose and incredibly intricate. The two US locations might be rocky at the moment, but field offices and projects are the heart of what we do and continue to use their expertise to make the world a better place and remind us what it means to have passion for what we do.

Cons

Internal issues rarely get solved because either the wrong people/offices are blamed or information isn't understood or utilized. Staff are so focused on joining the cool crowd of complainers these days that even in the Glassdoor reviews you can find completely inaccurate information that can easily be found by utilizing the company's intranet. Turn over is high at the moment and although salaries and compensation are often the cause, the pay structure hasn't improved.

Advice to Management

Sometimes you really need to make immediate changes to address a crisis which is what is happening a the moment. Policies, procedures, and analytics aren't going to matter too much if you don't have the people in place to perform anyhow. Long-term goals are essential, but short-term solutions are necessary at times and no one seems to understand this.

11. "Lots of passion, diversity in the office, working towards a common goal"

Current Employee - Program Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Program Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

I love working alongside passionate individuals who have the same mission that I do
    I feel like I am being supported and have the ability to seek out resources to grow professionally
    The organization really is creating health change abroad and has created a number of tools that are being used by individuals all over the world.
    I'm proud to work for MSH and proud of what the organization continues to accomplish

Cons

Not being used for my skillset
    I have a Master's degree but am not doing any type of work that is worthy of a Master's degree
    The organization is very USAID project focused - need to focus on innovation and thinking outside the box (away from government funding) and do something different to really ensure the organization's survival
    People in high level positions are afraid to stray from what they are used to doing - there is general mentality that if it's different than what has been done in the past, it won't work
    Low salaries, little money can be budgeted (if any) for career development
    Few opportunities for mid-level careers (many entry level and high level positions)

Advice to Management

MSH needs to become more of a supportive community. Staff from all over the world needs to know one another. It is especially telling by the fact that staff work on different floors in the same building in Arlington and Medford and don't know each other