Management Sciences for Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Management Sciences for Health President and CEO Marian Wentworth
Marian Wentworth
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, talented staff, a long track record in global health and redirecting its business strategy for the upcoming years (in 17 reviews)

• Much better work/life balance at entry-mid level than at other similar nonprofits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No opportunity for growth for entry, junior- or mid-level staff (in 11 reviews)

• Very little mid-level staff so jr staff are way overworked while senior leadership travel a lot and accumulate frequent flier miles (in 11 reviews)

"Technical Advisor"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Medford, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work and mission is good and potentially interesting

Cons

Please donot work for MSH. If you need to take longer looking for a job, take longer, stay one more month on unemployment. The waiting time will be worth it. I was the person on the other side of the computer, reading these reviews. I read all reviews and thought that it surely cannot be that bad. I took the job and have been through hell. I am working away, disappointed in the organization. It is not a meritocracy, the people doing most of the work are not the ones promoted. Upward movement is based primarily on allegiance, who is looking out for you and politicking. There are other organizations that are worth your talent, passion and hard work. Please do your research carefully and talk to people in the organization before you take a job with MSH. Your might have to wait a long time before the new CEO turns things around. Dont bet on it

Advice to Management

None.

"Isn't It Ironic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are no pros to joining this horrible organization

Cons

For an organization promoting universal health care, employees are being laid off without severance and only a couple of months of paid COBRA.

Advice to Management

Weed your garden

3. "Higher Staff Treat Employees as Disposable"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Management Sciences for Health as a contractor

Pros

None to report from this organization.

Cons

I had high hopes for this organization since they funded one of the programs in the country I served as a Peace Corps Volunteer, but my opinion is forever tarnished. I was hired as a temp to hire. I was interviewed by my supervisor and she offered me the position the next day. Looking back, the few times my supervisor interacted with me, they seemed nervous and apprehensive. I tried to be friendly with everyone, I was picking up on my training quickly and did a great deal of work on my third day. After three days of work, however, I was informed that I would no longer be working there by my recruiting agent. It was a shock to me and I kept trying to figure out what I could have done wrong. Talking to my recruiter the next day, the only feedback she got from my supervisor was that it was not a personality match. I have never known an employer to make that decision after only three days. Also, no issues were ever brought to my attention. If they were, I would have been happy to address them. But because of the passive aggressive behavior of my supervisor, I had a sudden interruption in income. This organization does not care about the people who work with them, but instead they only feed on the prestige that comes with seeming to care about people.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like human beings. Communicate with them rather than tossing them aside.

"Still needs a lot of work"

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You gain a lot of experience here and you can make incredible friends.
    Good benefits but no maternity leave

Cons

Still paying former CEO
    Board is all white and admits it does not know about major donor
    CEO talks a lot but isn't saying much

Advice to Management

Answer real questions
    Explain why the FCI program is still so seperate
    Why is the website so poorly managed

5. "Ok experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Management Sciences for Health as an intern

Pros

People are friendly and open.

Cons

Everyone is so busy that there is little engagement with and learning opportunities for the interns.

"Incredible mission and vision, LOUSY infrastructure and culture...."

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Incredible mission, vision and company history. Location is great - some feel it's isolated, but it's "out" of the city, which can be a huge pro, office building is fantastic and has great amenities. Great benefits and some departments allow for flexible and remote working.

Cons

The culture of the organization can only be described as back-stabbing, short-sighted and unproductive to growth and development. The decisions being made are not based on any sort of logic or reason from a business perspective. Generally horrible treatment of individual employees in most departments.

Advice to Management

Go back to business basics, especially "respect for people."

"Heartless"

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Great colleagues. Nice office space. Flexible work arrangements.

Cons

No appreciation of long-term employees who have dedicated their careers to the organization. Rushed them out the door with not so much as a good bye lunch during the last round of lay-offs. Cruel and mean spirited.

Advice to Management

Revisit your mission. Remember that you are a nonprofit and not a fortune 500 company!

"Director"

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Some very bright, talented, and mission driven individuals work or have worked at MSH.

Cons

The management chases its tail like a puppy, with no vision, no communication, and no purpose. There is absolutely NO respect or value for employees or their work. The mission is forgotten completely in favor of hanging on to dead-weight or playing favorites. Would not recommend coming near MSH until all leadership changes, and they are able to produce some viable wins that will keep your job steady. MSH just laid off over 70 people, huge gutting.

Advice to Management

Get a direction, stop being secretive and acting like there is a huge stock market impact to your decisions. You are a non-profit with a mission we supposedly all share. Make that the mission, what we ALL share. It isn't about you and your salary.

"Stay away"

Pros

MSH used to be a good place to work with moral, mission driven leadership and committed people. Still many good people and projects.

Cons

Incompetent, irresponsible CEO and senior leadership team who have not provided smart, unified,strategic leadership in this current environment. Occasional infighting among leaders and badmouthing and backstabbing of each other as well as employees. Many bad management decisions that wasted money, time and energy and negatively impacted the organization and its people. Poor role models. Very sad to see what has happened to MSH

Advice to Management

Let go of rest of senior leadership team. They are also part of the problem and toxicity. Get expert help from outside people who know what they are doing. Elect a board that knows what they are doing. MSH has had problems for years. where was the board all this time? Hopefully the new CEO will make a positive difference but huge changes needed. Hire moral smart leaders who know how to lead and manage and care.

"Large scale layoffs in January, heed with caution if you want a career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

MSH was a great place to work many years ago and still has some talented and committed staff.

Cons

Huge financial constraints due to significant losses and poor leadership at the top has left the organization as place that anyone should carefully consider before joining. Recent layoffs resulted in the termination of approximately 70 staff, and it is the second downsizing that has been announced in less that two years. Resource constraints have led to turfy behavior among senior and mid-senior staff. Several large programs are scheduled to end in the next twelve months, which will likely compound existing problems. If you are considering a position at MSH, do your homework, understand your positions funding, and heed with caution.

Advice to Management

Replace leadership vacant CEO and COO positions with individuals who can pull the organization out of this mess and bring it back to a place where it can deliver on it's mission.