Management Sciences for Health Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Management Sciences for Health President and CEO Marian Wentworth
Marian Wentworth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Much better work/life balance at entry-mid level than at other similar nonprofits (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits - generous 401k match, TONS of vacation (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No opportunity for growth for entry, junior- or mid-level staff (in 11 reviews)

• Very little mid-level staff so jr staff are way overworked while senior leadership travel a lot and accumulate frequent flier miles (in 10 reviews)

1. "Senior payroll specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Payroll Specialist in Medford, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a very nice company to work for. Have a greet management team

Cons

Even though the company is only 25 miles but the travel going home took two hours or even more

Advice to Management

I really have no advice other than saying it is very nice to work with the employees as well the management team

2. "A good organization that is on the path to becoming a much better one."

Current Employee - Project Support in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Support in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New CEO who is committed to the organization.
    Great people to work with.
    Very competitive benefits package.

Cons

Need to work on operational processes.

Advice to Management

Give the new CEO time to create and manage change. MSH has been through a lot of upheaval and it has been painful. But the new CEO is bringing energy and a more caring culture to the organization.

3. "MSH does great work and takes good care of their employees."

Former Employee - Operations Officer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Operations Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work in world health, diverse staff (including in the US offices) excellent benefits and very competitive non-profit pay, & opportunities to grow.

Cons

Some challenges/divides between operational and technical staff (a common challenge in these types of orgs) as well between home office and country offices.

4. "Senior Project Support Officer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerville, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great training opportunities
    - Fantastic colleagues: truly committed and qualified
    - In my division: strong mid/senior-level leaders
    - Much better work/life balance at entry-mid level than at other similar nonprofits

Cons

- Top-level strategy not apparent in past two years
    - Risk management prioritized at the cost of efficiency and effectiveness

Advice to Management

Given the belt-tightening, hopefully the new CEO can revamp MSH's structure to match the scope of business and nature of projects.

"Leadership development consultant"

Former Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Leadership Development Program Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have a long experience in health field and in leadership and management development for health professionals.
    I think I can contrepute to the achievement of the goals of the comoany

Cons

I need better communication regarding sutable jobs that meets my experience

Advice to Management

Not keeping in touch with ghe ex employee with long experience.

"Your experience depends on your project"

Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Advisor in Arlington, VA

Pros

Your experience depends on the team you join. Having worked on 1 team, then joined a new team through internal promotion, I can tell you that my experience was night and day. On my current team I have an AWESOME supervisor that supports my professional development. My team is really great and I enjoy working with them. This project is strong and really makes a difference. People are doing good work and care.

HR has been gradually trying to listen to internal complaints about professional development and they have opened up funds for professional development for junior and mid-level staff. They have two rounds of funds that you can apply for every year. This is a great change. There has been a lot of discontent lately due to some reorganization and layoffs, but the company is moving in the right direction. Let's hope they move fast enough.

Fantastic benefits. 401k match is awesome, PPO health insurance is really good and the company pays a lot of money for it!, vacation/sick leave are also really generous

Cons

Low pay. CEO is not very great. Lack of diversity in funders- we need to diversity our funding source and have been very slow to do this.

Advice to Management

Diversity our funding source!! Seriously, we need to go after other bids. Increase public/private partnerships.

7. "Overall, a good place to work"

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Good people, interesting projects, and opportunities for growth. Great benefits!

Cons

Some frustrating bureaucracy/policies and slow organizational change processes

"Depending on the project you work for, MSH can be an excellent or a less-than-fulfilling place to work."

Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Diverse colleagues from all around the world; fun work and office environment; plenty of social events; warm and welcoming atmosphere in the Arlington office.

Cons

Not many opportunities for professional growth. The salaries are low, as are the yearly raises. For young professionals, work can be discouraging if there doesn't seem to be promising room for growth within the company.

"A place for driven, self-starters to thrive"

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Arlington, VA

Pros

First, please note this is not a fake review - please don't assume that any positive review of MSH is a plant.
    Many opportunities for growth, and in whichever direction your heart takes you. My professional growth was closely fostered by my 3 formal supervisors. Although I have heard many junior staff at MSH say that they are not provided opportunities for growth, I cannot echo their sentiment – my hard work was rewarded with praise and increased trust, responsibility, and opportunity. My supervisors pushed me to strongly consider my desired career direction, encouraged and enabled me to try my hand in varied projects and initiatives, and supported me in every step along the way. Despite what others have said, MSH's leadership team does care about their company succeeding and how their staff are feeling. A lot of change has happened in a short time in order to get MSH back on track with the direction of the development world, and although hard choices had to be made, I believe it was all necessary and will enable MSH to become a stronger, more agile and resilient organization.

Cons

There is a lack of accountability at middle and upper management levels that allows senior staff to pass down important requests with unreasonable timelines. In many situations, junior staff are not empowered to push back on such requests. There is also significant work to be done around policies and procedures that should be simplified and standardized across the organization to reduce confusion.

Advice to Management

You're on the right track, leadership! Keep challenging the status quo and working towards becoming more flexible and transparent and communicating better both internally and externally. When bringing on talent, consider more mid-level and junior staffers before hiring senior level staff.

"Moving Towards a Better Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

Pros

Great mission. Great benefits. Some really passionate, intelligent and dedicated staff.

Cons

Some top level senior managers (not leadership team) need to get over themselves and let the up and comers prove their mettle without being belittled by the more senior staff who find them so intimidating that the only way they can manage is to cut these people off at the knees or to take credit for a job well done that they did not do.

Advice to Management

Since the Leadership Team seems to have gotten its act together finally...please, please, please do something about the tyrants and toxic mid level managers who have no management or people experience, and who seem to have forgotten the people we are here to serve - the world's most vulnerable and poorest populations.