Management Sciences for Health Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Management Sciences for Health President and CEO Marian Wentworth
Marian Wentworth

Pros
  • Much better work/life balance at entry-mid level than at other similar nonprofits (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits and good work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No opportunity for growth for entry, junior- or mid-level staff (in 11 reviews)

• Junior staff are often under-valued (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great place to work, ability to make impact, and contributions valued."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mission is great and a lot of smart, committed people are dedicated to the core principle of the organization. A good place to make meaningful impact in global health. Lots of opportunities for career growth and advancement. Supportive, team oriented work environment.

Cons

I've been here a little less than a year and it takes a while to learn the various systems and processes.

"Great Mission...great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Without question, most staff are dedicated to MSH's mission and the Tao of Leadership. The recent move of the Massachusetts location to a LEED Gold Certified building in Medford was a move in the right direction. Rather than the cubicle farm being relegated to the dark recesses of the interiors of the previous office, the cubicles are in the sunshine and open spaces. This environment tends to foster more collaboration among the staff.

MSH is currently undergoing a lot change initiatives, which will keep MSH from stagnating and living in the past. Once these initiatives have landed, MSH will be much more streamlined and efficient in its processes and systems.

Cons

Some of the more long-term staff exhibit a strong sense of entitlement and are so entrenched in their "old MSH ways" that they continually against the change initiatives that are being implemented. They are being very short-sighted and their negativity can be trying on the rest of the staff, particularly since new staff should be able to look up to those with more experience.

Advice to Management

Find and rid the barrel of bad apples. They bring down morale and just create an atmosphere of negativity. What MSH does is priceless and it should not be ruined by a few bad seeds.

3. "Exciting place to work with great opportunities for growth."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A strong mission that attracts intelligent, and passionate individuals.
    Supportive environment that fosters professional and personal growth.
    Endless opportunities to engage with and learn from a diverse group of dedicated professionals.

Cons

I truly enjoy working for MSH; nothing negative to say.

"Solid, Caring Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

MSH is a great place to work. I've worked at MSH for over 5 years. I've held 4 different jobs, 2 of them were promotions with good raises. I've always felt that my leaders were looking out for me, listening to me, and giving me opportunities for growth. Overall, salaries at MSH, in comparison to many other NGOs out there, are competitive; and the benefits package is outstanding.
    The other thing about MSH that I don't see elsewhere, is that people who leave want to come back. I've seen at least 10 employees make their way back into the organization after leaving for what they thought were greener pastures. I know of many more who want to come back. I think that says a lot about the type of organization MSH is.

Cons

MSH is a place where multiculturalism IS the norm - and because of that, it isn't the right fit for everyone. MSH is not perfect, it has its share of bad managers, communicators, and problem projects and people - but you'd be hard pressed to find a company that doesn't.
    Overall, MSHers at all levels care deeply about the impact of their work, and the managers I have worked with try to foster a good work-life balance and a friendly, warm working environment. I've truly enjoyed working here and intend to continue doing so!

"A Great Place to Work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

Pros

Leadership that cares deeply about employees and effectively/efficiently achieving the mission to serve others. Employees are given the accountability and authority necessary to succeed in achieving results. You don't find many places where the CEO, COO and VP of HR will actually meet with staff to increase employee satisfaction. COO inspires staff to achieve impact.

Cons

No cons at all. I look forward to going to work each and everyday! MSH is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Stay on the path to 3E + 2A and the 3Rs. This is what makes MSH a great place to work!

7. "An international development company with a heart"

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Fantastic, open-hearted colleagues who are all very dedicated to the cause of the company. Friends for life who you care about long after.

Cons

Sometimes long hours with a system that had come to expect it and was not always as rewarding as it could have been. Won through competition the programs last for a few years while they are funded. This creates a culture where people come and go. Years of effort toward breaking a very siloed culture were only beginning to scratch the surface.

Advice to Management

Lighten the paperwork for yearly reviews. Recognize the achievements of employees at all echelons and have a steady long-term strategy for the company.

8. "Great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, supporting a really worth-while cause. Allowed me to feel good about my work while maintaining my ideal work/life balance.

Cons

I was not looking for a career, just a job during a transitional time in my life; I therefore didn't push to ensure my tasks remained fully engaging, or try to advance my career. Someone with more ambition would likely have had a different experience.

9. "Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Management Sciences for Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

No cons. loved interning there!

10. "Why are people complaining?"

Pros

I've worked at some pretty crappy places, but this place is not one of them. I don't honestly see what all the fuss is about. I've heard some complaints and they are so trivial and petty; I don't know who they are, but I suspect they won't be happy anywhere they work.

As far as the atmosphere goes, the people here are great. Please don't skim that last sentence and assign no value to it. Co-workers truly make the difference between a good place and a great place. Take it from me, they can also make an otherwise innocuous workplace quite unpleasant. I'm happy to report that MSH is a delight to work at.

The benefits are great, particularly the health insurance, 10/10. They recently slashed the benefits for new hires, but it''s still a great, competitive package.

Cons

I think I am paid fairly (I'd probably have taken less, honestly), but I could imagine that some people, particularly those with advanced technical skills, might feel underpaid. Though as far as I'm concerned, non-profit pay is a given at a non-profit organization. But hey what do I know.

I've also heard complaints that the company is lopsided, heavy on the managerial side, most of whom are ineffective. However, the company just went through a reorganization (a lot of layoffs), so we'll see how that goes, if it changes anything.

HR could use some work, particularly in talent acquisition, which is a shame because they're the first point of contact, and provide the first impression for non-MSHers. However, I know they know it needs works, and I'm pretty sure they've been taking strides in that department to fix it.

Advice to Management

Stop going for small bids, it's a waste of our time and money. Validating it to yourself by emphasizing the need to diversify doesn't change the outcome to our bottom line.

"MSH review"

Current Employee - Director in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Medford, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mission driven, results focused. Willing to change.

Cons

Hectic pace; demanding work; work life balance could be better.