Management Sciences for Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Management Sciences for Health Reviews

Updated February 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Much better work/life balance at entry-mid level than at other similar nonprofits (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits and good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No opportunity for growth for entry, junior- or mid-level staff (in 10 reviews)

• Also, there is a lack of transparency in how decisions are made about promotions and salaries (in 5 reviews)

"Stay away...stay very far away"

Pros

Beginning at year 2, the 401(k) is very generous

Cons

Totally mismanaged. When laying off 69 people recently, they allegedly eliminated positions and not people per se. What a load. They let go of the most recently hired people, regardless of performance while keeping a bunch of expensive, unproductive dinosaurs, who do not produce. A pack of jackals if ever there was one.

Advice to Management

Get you heads out of your posteriors.

"Massive Layoff"

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This could be a fresh start (at the expense of a lot of innocent staff) or the continuation of the death of a once well respected organization.

Cons

Around 70 staff being let go from Jan 10-12. Can MSH recover? Some of the leadership that destroyed this organization are now gone but not all of them so beware. The board has been too slow to make decisions that were obvious, harming MSH...perhaps fatally. Will the board do better going forward? It may be too late!

Advice to Management

Advice to the Board. Do NOT select an internal candidate as the new CEO! This decision is the most important decision for this organization in its history. Don't blow it.

"Can MSH be investigated for discriminating hiring practices like Chemonics was?"

Former Employee - Project Associate in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Project Associate in Medford, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some people's intentions were good

Cons

Read through the other reviews, CLEARLY MSH has a discrimination problem and I am wondering when they will be investigated for it the way Chemonics was. Chemonics was found guilty of discriminating against African Americas ( can you believe organizations that work in black countries discriminate against blacks???? And we wonder why the field of international development is a joke) and was ordered to pay $482,000 by the US department of labour in "back-pay, interest and benefits" to 124 African-American job applicants. I wonder what the outcome would be if the US department of labor investigated this company?

Advice to Management

it's 2017, get it all the way together

5. "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a learning organization. There are a lot of opportunity if you want to grow and develop your career.

Cons

Too many ideas and structural changes on after another within a short period of time in the name of Business Development that is confusing sometimes and takes away a lot of energy away from doing the right thing to do.

Advice to Management

Focusing on Technical Work more than internal management related activities.

"Rudderless"

Pros

The staff, salaries and benefits, and vision

Cons

A recent reorganization poorly handled, low morale, lots of people leaving, current search for new CEO.

Advice to Management

Better communication and transparency. Engage employees in decision-making, where appropriate. Develop a strategy, preferably with input from the staff, and implement it.

"Misleading..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Employees are very knowledgeable and respected in their fields. 401K benefits are good. Location is convenient. Field staff are great and a pleasure to collaborate with. Lots of good partnerships and external collaborations from earlier years when MSH used to be a leader. Online resources for learning and minimal funds to attend trainings.

Cons

HR and Leadership cannot be trusted.
    Employees are overworked and underpaid. Not valued for their work. Decisions are made on behalf of the employees without their consent. Negative decisions that only benefit upper management. No opportunity for growth for entry, junior- or mid-level staff. Widespread favoritism, discrimination, bullying, an inequity. Morale is extremely low. It's no longer exciting. Major retention issues - even those who've been at MSH for decades have left. When employees speak out against management, they are scolded and targeted. Employee opinions do not matter. Policies implemented often don't benefit the employees such as increased work hours with same pay and budget cuts although no effect to management activities. Poor internal communication. You're providing a service that they've paid for. Promotions and raises to some - regardless of tenure and experience. Others who ask, are discouraged. Employees are stagnating and are not marketable elsewhere.

No accountability for leaders who make poor decisions. Lack of diversity in leadership. Lack of transparency. People are terminated in humiliating manners or talked about. Lots of secrets among many groups. Discouraging performance review process. Job titles are lower than the actual responsibilities associated. Interviewso are misleading.

Finally to add insult to injury, you're told (indirectly) to quit if you don't like the decisions. "Employed at will" no matter how much youve contributed which is disrespectful.

Advice to Management

Take away power from some leaders who have too much. Hold management accountable for the conditions of the company. Listen to and solicit staff input. Give as much as you take. Create programs that build capacity. Show staff that they have value.

"Undervalued Employees"

Pros

Salary was accessed fairly, friendly staff throughout the organization

Cons

No work, management rude, political games, no autonomy, creativity not allowed

Advice to Management

Do checks and balances on mid-level management as they tend to hog the work and bully the hourly staff. Especially in NY. Don't expect to be able to take ownership of your work. Additionally, they talk bad about former staff, which will be a foreshadowing of how they will treat new staff. Lots of political games and micromanagement as well.

"Payroll Manager"

Pros

Shortly, I wouldn't recommend you to work here. Even you are leaving the company and of course your final check is not correct. They do mistake and they don't want to fix it at once, you have to wait the next pay date to receive the difference.

Cons

I wouldn't recommend this company.

"Toxic Work Environment"

Pros

Great vacation package. A handful friendly staff with genuine interest in the "going to the people..."

Cons

Poor remuneration. Favoritism. Lack of innovation. Rigid. Too much upper level staff. Poor continuing education benefit...

Advice to Management

Wake up. Smell the coffee. Get your head out of your... Change your leadership team. Be nimble, open to new ideas. Stop creating new strategies every time. Vested interest will ruin you as you are beginning to see...

"Started Out Well and Then..."

I worked at Management Sciences for Health (More than a year)

Pros

They have great PTO and health benefits. I had the opportunity to work with some wonderful coworkers who have since become friends.

Cons

First of all, I'm not sure where all the glowing reviews are coming from but my experience at MSH was very different and much more in line with the more negative feedback people have left here. Working at MSH started out well for me. Even though the pay was low, I worked on a great team and supported a portfolio of projects that allowed me to grow and develop my professional skills. Then the organizational restructuring started, and everything went to hell. The volume of my work tripled or quadrupled (with the same pay because we were conned by HR into thinking it was a lateral move), with a new set of projects that were completely boring. I went from doing professionally fulfilling work under a great manager, to doing tedious work under an incompetent manager. Also under the new structure, I ended up doing the same work as the folks in the higher employment band but getting paid much less. The inequity of it all was astounding. When I tried to raise my voice about this to HR and Managers, I was either placated by empty promises to change the system or ignored altogether. Trying to get promoted as a minority in the organization proved utterly pointless since I only saw white coworkers get promoted. Imagine, white people running the show for the work done primarily in black and brown countries. MSH has lost or will soon lose every major award that has kept the organization afloat for the last decade or so, but everyone seems to have their heads buried in the sand about this. As most people have already mentioned here - HR is a joke, Management at all levels is joke, and the C-suite is the absolute worse, with the board of trustees seemingly in la la land as the ship continues to sink.

Advice to Management

Why bother? They don't care.