Management Sciences for Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Management Sciences for Health Reviews

Updated June 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Much better work/life balance at entry-mid level than at other similar nonprofits (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits - generous 401k match, TONS of vacation (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No opportunity for growth for entry, junior- or mid-level staff (in 11 reviews)

• Very little mid-level staff so jr staff are way overworked while senior leadership travel a lot and accumulate frequent flier miles (in 10 reviews)

"AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS"

Former Employee - Program Officer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Program Officer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

Even though most staff are unhappy with the C-Suite, Management and lack of transparency, you'll meet incredible (yet miserable) SME in public health.

Cons

EVERYTHING. First, the C Suite hired (as if the company isn't wasting enough money on perks for their favorite staff) a public relations firm to help clean up their Glassdoor page and hide their secrets. For months, they wasted time and funding, trying to promote the new project management model, to "engage junior/mid-level staff” - just for those suggestions to be thrown out for the final approach (wasted months organizing and submitting feedback). I worked in one of the health groups, where there is the worst representation of women leadership (lacking integrity and commitment, instead of problem solving - advocates for the blame game, only promotes favorites - usually white junior/mid and senior level colleagues, disorganized, doesn't know how to be punctual, the list could go on...). Just flat out NO RESPECT for the working minorities in the HQ staff. I will agree that your professional development here is also based on your supervisor - which is a rare find in this team of friends. Recruitment/promotion decisions are based on gossip and popularity contests, not qualifications or a successful track record of meeting deliverables. There's a lack of transparency is ALL the recent changes - an end without means. Inconsistent HR policies but don't worry if you're white there's always an exception - which is interesting because we bid on projects to work in Sub-Saharan Africa (DONORS WATCH OUT). If you look at the HQ staff of the other health program group, there's actually diversity at ALL levels (leadership is African American - surprise surprise).

Advice to Management

HR/C-Suite should conduct an investigation on the concerns raised by staff and ACTUALLY follow through on ALL their "promises." If company morale is important to the work environment, then this is definitely something to look into!

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The best people - it's a pleasure to go to work each day and work with such a motivated, diverse group of people!
    - Great work, results, and mission
    - Great benefits - generous 401k match, TONS of vacation
    - Excellent work/life balance - I've felt supported anytime I've needed to work from home, take time off, etc. Not only do we get a ton of vacation time, but I'm actually encouraged to use it by my supervisor!
    - Room for advancement - I have an excellent supervisor who has helped me advance a lot relative to the amount of time I've been at MSH

Cons

- No parental leave for moms or dads, which is pretty ridiculous for a health organization! We do have short term disability for women who gave birth, but it's only for a few weeks and isn't full pay.
    - No tuition reimbursement
    - Like any workplace, your experience as an employee at MSH can depend largely on who your supervisor is. There are some lousy managers here (like everywhere else!), but there are also some excellent ones who enable employees to get results and grow!

Advice to Management

You're doing great with all the organizational change, but keep listening to staff, especially at the lower levels!

"MSH review"

Current Employee - Director in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Medford, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Mission driven, results focused. Willing to change.

Cons

Hectic pace; demanding work; work life balance could be better.

"Well Intentioned, Poorly Executed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many of my colleagues were amazing people with big hearts. The field staff were amazing.

Cons

Leadership, poor pay, complete lack of growth potential. Scorched earth policy in recent layoffs.

Advice to Management

It's not working.

"Place is a joke"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, some people care about the mission. And thats about it !

Cons

Where to start ? this places is a joke. First off the Leadership team lacks basic leadership skills, so there it starts, the CEO is a joke he went on a Sabbatical at a time the company needed him the most, everyone blames HR for everything which is funny cause its the LT that should be blamed not only HR, but HR sucks and upper management is cancerous and keeps the BS up. Junior staff are treated like inconveniences to upper long term management. Greedy people, you ever see bears hungry in the woods ? this is people looking to freeload on anything they can, its disgusting, ohh people dont know how to be nice to one another or appreciative, you do everything for the senior staff they take the credit, again lack basic leadership skills. Ohh the best was someone complained there was no more honey for tea and they were told there was no budget for that but lets have a budget to send our Board on a trip to Africa and use some of MSH's money for the millionaires they are and keep hiring in people with 6 figure salaries cause they have PHD's even if its not in the field they want and then tell junior mid level staff we have no money .. its comical, again place is a joke. Save your time and DO NOT WORK HERE!!

Advice to Management

hahaha I would give some but reality is they wont take it or read it or care, so advice is read the 21 Characteristics of a leader, then realize you have none of those and learn to get some and fast.

"A place for driven, self-starters to thrive"

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First, please note this is not a fake review - please don't assume that any positive review of MSH is a plant.
    Many opportunities for growth, and in whichever direction your heart takes you. My professional growth was closely fostered by my 3 formal supervisors. Although I have heard many junior staff at MSH say that they are not provided opportunities for growth, I cannot echo their sentiment – my hard work was rewarded with praise and increased trust, responsibility, and opportunity. My supervisors pushed me to strongly consider my desired career direction, encouraged and enabled me to try my hand in varied projects and initiatives, and supported me in every step along the way. Despite what others have said, MSH's leadership team does care about their company succeeding and how their staff are feeling. A lot of change has happened in a short time in order to get MSH back on track with the direction of the development world, and although hard choices had to be made, I believe it was all necessary and will enable MSH to become a stronger, more agile and resilient organization.

Cons

There is a lack of accountability at middle and upper management levels that allows senior staff to pass down important requests with unreasonable timelines. In many situations, junior staff are not empowered to push back on such requests. There is also significant work to be done around policies and procedures that should be simplified and standardized across the organization to reduce confusion.

Advice to Management

You're on the right track, leadership! Keep challenging the status quo and working towards becoming more flexible and transparent and communicating better both internally and externally. When bringing on talent, consider more mid-level and junior staffers before hiring senior level staff.

"An Organization Full of Suspicious Practices"

Current Employee - Project Associate in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Medford, MA

Pros

The mission is commendable......how great the company actually carries out the mission and its actual impact and effectiveness in these developing countries is another story. Read up on non-profit work and foreign aid in developing countries if you really care about international development.

One positive thing I do have to say about MSH is that the work/life balance is pretty good, especially if you work in upper management. Some of them come into the office twice or three times a week and "work from home" the other days.

Cons

Don't want to waste space enumerating all the ways the company FAILS at managing just read the other comments about the mismanagement they are pretty much accurate. MSH is currently undergoing some reconstruction which may have caused a lot of people to have even more of a negative outlook on the company, however my comments are UNRELATED to the reconstruction and focuses more on the culture of the company prior to the changes.

Fragmented- MSH is extremely hierarchal and bureaucratic, more than most of the private sector companies that I have work for. Upper management can be extremely patronizing to those who work below their pay grade. There is no collaboration or communication between departments which makes even the simplest everyday tasks extremely difficult to carry out. It is shocking that there lacks any real EFFICIENT SOP for basic company operations, such as paying invoices in a timely manner.

Discriminatory (part I) - You cannot ignore the fact that the culture that has fostered at MSH is discriminatory at best, flat out racist at worst. Many MSH employees at the headquarter office in Medford speak to and about the country offices in the developing countries so condescendingly its uncomfortable. For a company that claims to follow the "The Tao way of Leadership" you wouldn't expect such neo-colonial practice, rhetoric, and way of thinking to be so prevalent in the organization.

Discriminatory (part II)- Despite the fact the company works primarily in black and brown countries, the FULL-TIME PERMANENT EMPLOYEES at the headquarter office is almost exclusively white. Inherently this may not be an issue, and of course there can be other variables to account for the disproportionality and underrepresentation of people of color. HOWEVER, you only need half a brain and an ear to hear how some of upper management talks about other ethnicities to realize that the racial makeup of the office is not due to "coincidence" but due to discriminatory hiring practices. To cover it up, MSH hires a bunch of black temporary workers so to look as if there are people of color in the office, however after a few months they get rid of them and replace them with white permanent hires. Many of the black temporary workers I have spoken to have told me they interviewed for the same positions they were working in for months, but were told they would not get hired.

Opportunities for Career Advancement- There're basically are none. Raises are extremely minimal and opportunities for growth are only nominal.

Advice to Management

I would give my advice to management, but they don't take advice so I am not going to bother.

"Feels like it has lost its way..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time

Pros

There are some absolutely wonderful people within the organization who are extremely dedicated. Great benefits and good work/life balance. Diverse staff.

Cons

Lots of employee turnover, and some discouragement about the many, many changes taking place simultaneous. It feels a little colder than the family-like nonprofit that it used to be. Raises are so minimal that it's a bit insulting.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending that everything is great, and be real with employees about what is/isn't going well. Find a way to maintain a warm and caring environment while putting changes in place.

"Moving Towards a Better Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I have been working at Management Sciences for Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission. Great benefits. Some really passionate, intelligent and dedicated staff.

Cons

Some top level senior managers (not leadership team) need to get over themselves and let the up and comers prove their mettle without being belittled by the more senior staff who find them so intimidating that the only way they can manage is to cut these people off at the knees or to take credit for a job well done that they did not do.

Advice to Management

Since the Leadership Team seems to have gotten its act together finally...please, please, please do something about the tyrants and toxic mid level managers who have no management or people experience, and who seem to have forgotten the people we are here to serve - the world's most vulnerable and poorest populations.

"Toxic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Pay and benefits, depending on your seniority. Flexible work schedule. Opps to travel.

Cons

The people and mean-spirited culture

Advice to Management

Learn to respect your colleagues and start demanding accountability from senior staff