Managing Editor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dennis McGuire

1. "A great place to work on cutting edge technology in the publishing industry."

Former Employee - Director in Jenkintown, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Jenkintown, PA

I worked at Managing Editor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A small company with an excellent list of customers comprised the most recognizable brands in publishing. MEI has been in business for over 20 years with the same leadership team in place and has been at the forefront of publishing technology since its inception. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there as an employee. It was characterized by working with highly motivated, capable peers in a flat hierarchy with the ability to contribute directly to the success of the company. I loved being focused less on meetings and more on doing.

Cons

MEI is a small company that runs lean so there isn't any place to for unproductive people. As with most small companies, employees have to be comfortable wearing many hats. People who arrived expecting the same structure they had at their 'big company' job usually didn't enjoy themselves unless they could flex to the entrepreneurial culture at MEI.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I hope you continue to be nimble and innovate so you continue to lead your space for another 20 years!

2. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Jenkintown, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Jenkintown, PA

I worked at Managing Editor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very nice people. I made many friends while employed there.

Cons

Most of the criticism I've read on here are merely training issues.

Advice to Management

Create an integrated training program with employee engagement and personal growth at its core.

"TOXIC!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jenkintown, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jenkintown, PA

I worked at Managing Editor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They hire really exceptional and talented people -- the staff is the only positive thing about the company. The management on the other hand...

Cons

MEI is run by arrogant, misogynistic and ethically-challenged leadership (if you can even call them that). These are money grubbing people who don't care at all for their employees and care even less for their customers. Their client list looks impressive, but unless they're roped into an enterprise-level service contract they don't stick around once the price gouging and nickel and diming starts. The 3rd party software that they sell is fine -- and the MEI technical support staff are great. However, MEI-developed software products (in the last decade, at least) are subpar and underdeveloped. Huge bait and switch -- they'll sell bells and whistles and then charge ridiculous chunks of money if you want it to actually work the way they said it would -- they oversell (lie more like it) and under deliver. Client retention is a big issue and when they do stay, it is because of the staff -- not products or management. The shady business practices put customer-facing employees and support staff in really uncomfortable positions, trying to do the right thing with hands tied.

Greedy, crooked, cunning, devious, unscrupulous -- just a few terms that come to mind when reflecting on MEI. I honestly don't know how they stay afloat.

Advice to Management

Take some continuous improvement courses on good leadership practices, ethics, values and integrity (you are so slimy it makes me nauseous just thinking about it). Appreciate your staff. You hire exceptionally talented people -- let them do their jobs! Try treating employees like human beings.

"Great Environment if your looking at them from 50000 feet"

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Jenkintown, PA
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Jenkintown, PA

I have been working at Managing Editor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid tools to sell, so long as they didnt make them.

Cons

Arrogance, Ignorance, Rude, Terrible, Management. Never had I see how a Software Company looks at money over client satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Some of the worst managers I have ever seen

"Great people"

I worked at Managing Editor (More than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with.
    Easy to interact with all levels of the company.

Cons

Good luck with getting a raise regardless of performance.

"Unethical bunch"

I worked at Managing Editor full-time

Pros

Some of the people make the place bearable. After those few individuals this place is a nightmare!

Cons

What’s wrong with MEI? I could take pages to discuss all the ways this company is just toxic, so let me make this short. This company’s management group is all about squeezing clients and employees to make a penny. Most who have done business with MEI come to regret that decision. This group looks for ways to increase revenue by whatever means possible. If you do business with this company don’t look for a partnership.

Advice to Management

Sell the company and get out. The market and industry sees you for what you are and they are not buying are they!

"Not a Company Worthy of Your Time"

I worked at Managing Editor full-time

Pros

There are some people at MEI who are legitimately good at their jobs and are easy to work with on projects. Sometimes MEI has company-wide lunches. There are free bagels once a week.

Cons

My experience at MEI was frankly downright frustrating. I’ve never worked for a company that is so unethical and profit-driven instead of trying to provide great service to the customer. When a customer decides to purchase a software solution from MEI, they can expect to be quoted a made-up number (there is no actual pricing on the website) based on how much MEI thinks they can successfully nickel-and-dime their prospect. If they’re purchasing 3rd party software like K4 or Twixl, things will likely go well, as MEI just provides the support and training (and they have people there who are very good at providing those services). However, if they buy software that MEI actually developed (like TruEdit or Portico) they’ll find out quickly they’ve just purchased software that is bloated with needless features and doesn’t particularly work well. MEI has no problem telling the customer that their software will immediately meet their needs and then inform them later that the features they specifically need are actually still in development and won't be ready for months.

Bad software aside, the work culture at MEI is atrocious. I would describe the MEI atmosphere as paranoid, delusional, petty, and arrogant. Employees can expect to be greeted by a security camera facing the front door that watches them come and go. Anybody who works at MEI will never receive a review, because they don’t want to give out annual raises. I know there are people at MEI who work very hard and have been making the same salary for many years, so the typical MEI employee can enjoy sitting at their cubicle and watching higher management give themselves raises and title changes. MEI also has no problem dumping loyal people to the curb – I was treated very poorly before I left to relocate and move on to a new position.

Work is typically put under a microscope and analyzed to death. Expect upper management to function as a bottleneck instead of being your ally. Even as the company continues to fail, nobody at top takes any responsibility for their shortcomings. The fact ownership reached out and begged several friends to write positive Glassdoor reviews after an ex-employee wrote a review with the title of “TOXIC!” is indicative of how MEI management doesn’t actually address legitimate company issues, because they think YOU'RE the problem, not them.

Look, I could write another 10 pages about the problems at MEI, but I’ll get to the point - MEI is going in the wrong direction and I would recommend you look elsewhere, as they’re downsizing and struggling to make sales. Perhaps MEI was once a good place to work when people were making loads of money off of K4 and their own layout software, but those days are dead and buried. MEI will only give you a base salary, occasional free lunches, and a lifetime of headaches.

Advice to Management

Take a look around the office and be grateful that, somehow, you still have hardworking employees who are talented at their jobs. Start doing annual reviews and give them a raise. Sit down and come to terms that the in-house software isn't working out at all. Use your software engineers to create a unique product that people actually want, and make sure the product actually works instead of having two hour meetings agonizing over the UI. Invest more in creative services and training/support, you're actually good at that.

If the company does die or you're forced to sell, make sure to buy a mirror and take a long look in it.

"It was ok for a little while"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Managing Editor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free bagels weekly, interesting technologies

Cons

Management lacked vision; little room for growth; several people in important positions were not making significant positive contributions, often inhibiting productivity, growth, quality

Advice to Management

Hire new management

"Really? Five 4-star reviews in 2 days?"

I worked at Managing Editor full-time

Pros

Many people are quite nice. There are good lunch options near the office.

Cons

No coherent strategy. More infighting for a small company than most large ones. They keep the wrong managers and get rid of the good ones. Micromanagement (you have no idea). Anyone is expendable. Employees on front lines are put in a very difficult position.

Advice to Management

Respect the intelligence of Glassdoor readers. Nothing but negative reviews until 12 days after one titled "TOXIC" and then all of a sudden there are five 4-star reviews in two days? Most of which use the phrase "small company" numerous times?

11. "A place where you can make a difference"

I have been working at Managing Editor full-time

Pros

A small company that doesn't get burdened with layers of management like you find in big companies. This makes it easier for things to get done, and also provides a great environment for those who take action and engage with management instead of sitting by the sidelines. Small companies like this one reward take-charge kind of people.

Cons

Not the right place for those who feel they are victims or who complain about issues rather than actively engaging with others.