Manara Academy Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michelle Alkhatib

1. "Teacher-Jobs"

I have been working at Manara Academy full-time

Pros

This is a family like atmosphere with fantastic students and a staff that likes one another! I am an experienced teacher and other districts are not like this is that regard. Very positive. Strong instructional leader at my school. I dont understand some previous comments about low pay and no benefits, as this is high pay with a bonus for a charter and we have full benefits through BCBS

Cons

Growing pains that hurts resources some....once those settle resources will be plentiful.

Advice to Management

Wants to give us everything we need,,,,be realistic about what we have and keep working to get us what is needed.

2. "Manara Academy Charter School"

I have been working at Manara Academy full-time

Pros

Great students and families on all campuses

Cons

Very high employee turnover rate
    Lack of opportunities to grow professionally
    Low pay with extremely high demands on time

Advice to Management

Increase pay at campus levels and staff schools appropriately to meet student needs

3. "jump ship"

Current Employee - Teacher in Irving, TX

Pros

Other teaching staff is wonderful! We all lean on each other for support and help when and where needed.

Cons

About the only support we get is from each other. Our classrooms don't even have enough chairs for all of the students. Constantly told that supplies/resources are coming, but they never seem to arrive.

Advice to Management

If you're going to tell us we'll have certain resources by a certain time, be aware that we plan on those items actually being available. If we shouldn't count on it to be there, just tell us that and we will plan accordingly.

5. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Whitehall, PA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Whitehall, PA

Pros

Much learned about other cultures and my abilities as a person to take charge of a project.

Cons

Low pay
    NO benefits at all
    No support from administration regarding supply needs or teacher additional training
    Administration lacks experience to run the school
    Did not respect other cultures other then their own

Advice to Management

Get better management in there that has significant classroom AND administration experience in there for the teachers and the students alike.

6. "Workplace that gives you a family feeling."

Current Employee - Teacher in Irving, TX

I have been working at Manara Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff and school leaders

Cons

New school
    Few resources
    But still a wonderful place to work at

7. ""JOB""

Current Employee - PEIMS Coordinator in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - PEIMS Coordinator in Irving, TX

I have been working at Manara Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady job, off weekends, 8-4

Cons

Work some holidays, hard work

"So Much Potential But Students and Staff Suffer due to Poor Leadership/Administration"

I have been working at Manara Academy full-time

Pros

The freedom to build our own curriculum to teach in a way that is relevant to the children vs. just teaching from a forced curriculum without the ability to adjust to our classroom's needs.
    The intent of good team practices and team building is present (just not delivered upon.)

Cons

The school is run by a 'board' that is out of touch
    Teachers are literally afraid of the school leadership (sometimes job loss is implied as a way to get consensus)
    Teachers are now being 'forced' to visit students homes
    There is no real discipline for unruly children (hitting, vandalism) for fear of losing funding if a child is suspended/expelled.
    80 hour work weeks are expected

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your staff and show mutual respect for their feelings and concerns. Support them in how the children should be disciplined and in providing what they need to be successful. There are teachers in our hallways that have purchased 100% of their classroom supplies out of their own pocket, are working +80 hours a week, encountering personal and health challenges because of the strain and feel bullied by you to do even more with even less.
    Forcing us to visit parents homes is not only absurd, it is unrealistic regardless of how you present it. Some teachers are FEARFUL of vising these homes and these concerns fall on deaf ears and because of recent comments by our principal now feel that their job is on the line if they voice an opinion contrary to this edict.

We have some amazing teachers and support people on our staff. Manara could be so much more if the leadership would learn to lead with "carrots" vs. "sticks." Support your teaching and administrative staff to be successful in what will ultimately make the long-term difference (preparing our children to be successful in life) instead of pushing the staff towards whatever half-baked band-aid solution you think will bring in more profit.