Manatt Phelps & Phillips Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
WILLIAM T. QUICKSILVER

Pros
Cons
  • Support staff are routinely treated like an after thought (in 4 reviews)

• Attorneys have assistants do personal tasks such as setting up doctor (in 15 reviews)

1. "Good work/life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great co-workers, especially at the associate level.
    - Good hours.
    - Interesting work, but very dependent on the client.

Cons

- Average salaries.
    - Below average benefits. Lacks a clear identity and roadmap for the firm's desire to merge industry consulting with law.

"Alternative Facts Abound"

Former Employee - Administrative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative in New York, NY

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Are you looking for a place where you work hard and play harder? A place where you will learn and grow, where work is appreciated and you are able to take pride in your work.....well DO NOT come to Manatt...within weeks you are stripped of your professional self confidence. Once you learn the personalities and politics you understand you have entered a world where "alternative facts" reign supreme.

If you are considering an administrative position at Manatt specifically in the health care department please read and proceed with caution.

Pros
    7 hour work day; OT @ 36th hour, Convenient location
    Great brewed coffee & free sodas; Casual Fridays
    90% of administrative staff cooperative & supportive.
    Training for overall firm systems

Cons

It's nearly impossible to do your job in 7 hours and taking your 60 min lunch is difficult because of your work load.

92% of the job is scheduling.

Turnover is exponentially high especially with specific professionals. ex. a senior partner goes through assistants like tissue. One former assistant even had a nervous breakdown.

The health care department is jam packed with demanding unrealistic women who want you to move heaven & earth but are unable to communicate and/or handle conflict or perceived conflict like adults.

Lots of smiling in your face while stabbing you in the back.

CYA (cover your "rear-end") is the only way to cover yourself whether you are support staff or a new professional at the firm. You will spend more time drafting emails detailing who, what, why and how because you will be thrown under the bus by your boss or one of their underlings.

There is no learning curve...on day two a file is created with the silliest complaints. Oftentimes the only time you have verbal interaction is when something negative is going down.

Manatt will NOT boost your professional esteem.

Professionals are nice when outside the office and inhibreated. Common courtesy is only used in email but not in common areas. There are very few exceptions to the above rule.

Support staff are routinely treated like an after thought.

Support staff are not entitled to paid maternity leave; however "professionals" receive 3 or 4 months.

Technology/software is lacking - you will spend 45% of your time trying to get your computer up and running.

There is no room for advancement.

You will do the same things over and over. There is one, possibly two professionals that take the time to clue you in so that you are able to see the big picture and how your role benefits a project.

Generosity is NOT the rule.

Backbitting is common place.
    Discord is sown by an assistant that comes off sweet like splenda but she works to pawn work off on others and unfortunately she has the ear of the movers and shakers. Narratives are spun that do not have an ounce of truth. Be careful if you encounter this person. She will not hesitate to set you up for failure. So, clearly management's discernment is lacking.

Calendering will be your primary task and in a traditional admin setting you control your boss' calendar. These professionals say yes to every meeting and oftentimes you are kept out of the loop thus creating CHAOS and CONFUSION daily.

You will spend a lot of time playing the role of a forensic detective ...God forbid you are given the proper information to complete a task. Strange things will happen like appointments falling off the calendar and if something out of the ordinary happens it's AUTOMACTICALLY your fault.

Memories are LONG when mistakes are made. Make a mistake and OFF with your head. This is the rough and tumble world of insecure people who do not have a kind bone in their bodies. You cannot anticipate the needs of your professional because what's good on Monday is never good for Tuesday or even the following Monday. There is never any rhyme or reason, many don't know their heads from their tales but unequivocally deem you inadequate.

Did I mention turnover is HIGH. ..of course I did. You may have been hired to support a particular group of people but that will change constantly.
    You will continually be placed between a rock and a hard place because jr professionals are fearful of Sr professionals and will blame things on you, very few own their mistakes.

You are NOT special! I repeat you are NOT special and you will NOT make a difference. If you decide to take a position at Manatt do NOT stand up for yourself being a doormat is preferred. The only way to stand up for yourself is finding another position in another firm.

Manatt specializes in hiring social inept professionals who major in microagression.
    Integrity and self-awareness are frowned upon.

Fear reigns supreme... your first 6 months you learn quickly that any decision made without explicit direction and triple checking could lead to a complaint email to the office manager instead of dialog between you and the person you are working with. Expect lots of mediation...it's remarkable these professionals are experts in their field but lack the integrity or moral fortitude to converse with the assistant that works diligently to make the day run smoothly. You can be a completely capable person and 5 mins at manatt you question your ability to breathe on your own.

Do I regret coming to Manatt? No after this experience I am better equipped to pick up on red flags and I have learned to effectively CYA. In this world there are people that are miserable and enjoy making your life miserable.

You can't say you haven't been warned.

"Discrimination and Layoffs"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None None

Cons

People of color who have left the firm verify the lack of opportunity especially for those who are not Asian, Latino, or female. The firm continues to downsize with layoffs the last six months. The firm will continue to downsize due to its inability to meet its own diversity goals and a quickly shrinking economy for lawyers and the paper jungle. Training is non-existent. Institutionalized discrimination.

Advice to Management

Replace all managers and all Human Resource personnel immediately.

"No vision, no talent, no profits"

Former Employee - Partner in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Partner in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are a handful of superstar lawyers. But senior management does not recognize or appreciate talent. Best talent has left the firm and the remaining senior partners are exclusively focused on glide path to retirement and not transitioning to new generation.

Cons

Extremely poor management, particularly in litigation. There is zero vision and no regard for establishing competent leadership. Client service suffers. Morale is horrible. Profits have plummeted. Get off the Titantic

Advice to Management

Rethink priorities. Rethink growth strategy. Transition to new leadership with community profile.

6. "Legal Secretary"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time

Pros

Great Firm overall to work for. Steady, fair and challenging.

Cons

Benefits are very average, and annual salary increases are very minimal.

Advice to Management

Staff are important contributors to the success of any professional work environment.

"Worst Management in the Biz"

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I truly don't have any. Everyone is miserable and has absolutely nothing positive to say about management.

Cons

The list is endless. I doubt this review will be posted as I have tried twice and it never made it. I saw an email quite by mistake on how they could get this site to take down all the negative reviews. Rather than look at themselves they have decided to use bully tactics to get Glassdoor to take down the reviews that condemn the firm. Ya, it's everyone elses fault. The place needs an overhaul from the top right on down.

Advice to Management

We just went through moving our office. It was a disaster. We all had to scramble to get containers, then quickly unload them, after moving them ourselves, so others could use them. I guess it saved some money, which makes management look good, but everyone is PO'd. It was ridiculous. Makes managers appear to not care about employees, which they so clearly do not. Not earning yourselves any respect, Boss.

New management has an Us v. Them mentality. Rather than understanding their job is to support and help us do our jobs, they need to demonstrate that they are "The Boss" and rule with policy and procedure. Also ridiculous. Rather than learn from previous managers that had absolutely no employee turnover, they've decided it would be better to crack the whip. Again, making people hate coming to work is not a good equation for success, yours or the company.

Inefficiency is the norm, not the exception. I have seen colleagues over bill clients by thousands, for a variety of reasons. No one seems to concerned about it.

The past 4 years has brought a mass exodus of attorneys, for a variety of reasons as well. The firm has shrunk considerably, and has not been able to regain its footing. Obstinate managers and greedy equity partners keep it in stagnant mode.

My advice to managemen? Quit and choose a line of work where you don't have to interact with people, since you clearly don't like them.

8. "Great internship experience"

Former Employee - Summer Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips (Less than a year)

Pros

- Huge array of projects and clients. You learn a ton in a short period of time and are given a fair amount of responsibility
    - SF office people were friendly, helpful, welcoming, and good coworkers
    - People constantly checked in on me and supported me throughout the internship
    - They are implementing new recruitment, interview, and summer analyst processes
    - They are aware of areas they need to improve and are taking steps to do so

Cons

- Interview process was unclear, took way too long, and some of the people who interviewed me were purposefully mean. I had to fly twice on my own dime to interview in both the NY and SF offices. However, the SF office employees were way nicer and when I actually started working there I had a great experience. The interview process just needs to improve and they are aware of this (I gave extensive feedback on this) and they are taking steps to address it

Advice to Management

See above re interview processes.

"Horrible and Disgusting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange, CA

I have been working at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location and casual dress. Some attorneys are great while others are snobs. Management have absolutely no clue. Dinsosaur technology.

Cons

Management discriminate and they pride themselves on diversity but don't believe it for a minute. There are certain attorneys that think they are above the law and if they screw up, you will be the target. HR is not there to support staff; they only care about their reputation. If you file a grievance with HR, they will find a way to have you fired. Pay is low and benefits are not that great. You will be worked into the ground and no one cares. Morale is very low and most staff have a chip on their shoulder. I would not recommend anyone work here. Disastrous and destructive atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Staff should take a stand and petition to have ALL management fired!!!!

"Do not recommend"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A job if this is the best you can do.

Cons

I see nothing has changed in the NY office even after the terrible experience of many under the former long term management. One would have thought they would try to make positive changes in the next management staff hired.

It seems it is the same or worse. It really was quite the experience with the former management. Too many situations to describe. To give an idea: management sits at table with secretary staff and brings up topic of being asked to reduce staff. This was at a Christmas lunch. Secretaries kept poker faces. I was dumbfounded.

One cold day in the middle of winter a huge window was removed on the 22 floor to do work. No warning. Suddenly we were freezing and had to get on everything we could not to freeze. No apology, no explanation, no checking to see if we were okay. Only a partner yelling got them to put the window back. I assume they realized they shouldn't do that while people were trying to work.

I was at my desk a little past my shift finishing something. Management said I could not ever be at my desk outside my designated work hours and if I didn't have work to do I could not be at my desk. I should go to the break room and read a book. ???? Apparently management didn't realize we answer phones. We never know when we will be asked to do something. We get work emails, calls, mail, etc. How would I know if I had work if I'm in a break room? I was dumbfounded a manager would say something like that. It was disturbing.

Other departments would regularly try to sneak huge projects on to secretaries who were already overwhelmed with work. Management would not back you up.

Some staff are protected, some are targets. Bullying is ignored and tolerated.

Sad to see they are continuing with the same type of harsh management.

Advice to Management

Dress it up all you want on your website, these reviews tell what it's really like.

"Run dont walk away from this firm"

Current Employee - Administrative Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Staff in New York, NY

I have been working at Manatt Phelps & Phillips full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close to major public transportation

Cons

CONS:

The following are facts about the New York firm. I wish I knew this before accepting the position here. Glassdoor does not allow mention of titles, association or names, so I'm forced to use the word management when referring to an individual.

• Staff members, have zero employee perks. Unless you count free homemade ice coffee every first Wednesday of the month.
    • No Summer Friday’s
    • No early departure the Friday before a holiday. We use to able to leave on Friday’s at 3:00 p.m. before a major Monday holiday (e.g. Labor day). This perk was taken away from us.
    • Raises for secretaries/assistants are always between 1-3% whether you’ve been here for 1 year or 30 years. Reviews for raises and bonuses are given in February/March. You're reviewed from your start month through December (e.g. if you start in May, your review will be for 7 months May-December) and they will short change even more on that 1%-3% raise, by saying you haven’t worked a full year. Even if your professionals give you a glowing review with no negative feedback, the most you receive is 3% if you’re lucky. Management adds their individual review of you, even so they have no idea what you do on a given day and should not have a say.
    • Annual reviews are written by the professionals you support and are done so anonymously. Any "constructive" criticism, and there will be plenty of that even if it's just from the point of view of management will be done without you knowing who wrote it.
    • ZERO Christmas bonus. The tiny firm bonuses are given in February/March yearly and are typically no more than $2000 which is then taxed at 50%. I remember 3 years of being employed at Manatt my bonus was $1000 and my take home was just under $500. You will receive NOTHING in December in terms of a bonus so don’t expect any extra cash for holiday shopping.
    • Lawyers rarely give their secretaries holiday gifts and when they do it’s usually a $25 gift card, a plant or $100 total when you support 4-7 people.
    • 2 weeks of vacation is what you start with, unless you negotiate beforehand. Even so the majority of law firms will start you out at 3 weeks, so this is another negative about this firm. After 3 years of being employed a third week is tacked on. Vacation time is accrued; the 2 weeks are accrued at 5.84 hours per month. You don’t even accrue 1 day a month, it’s horrible. When you do take time that the firm gives you they complain you’re out of the office too much.
    • Sick is accrued based on hours worked, so for every 30 hours worked you accrue 1.5 hours of sick time. Accrual rates are horrible.
    • Medical - The perk they sold me on when I accepted the job was taken away in 2015, it was if you are single they paid 100% of your medical benefits. Unfortunately, as of 2015 this perk was taken away. So the 1%-3% raise is pretty much 0% when you take into account the cost of living in New York City and transportation which has gone up and will go up again in 2017 and having to pay into medical.
    • Attorneys have assistants do personal tasks such as setting up doctor’s appointments, watering plants, ordering and running out to get personal lunches, wives calling and having you send out holiday cards for friends and family. No one in management does a thing about this and assistants are told that’s the nature of being employed here.
    • Getting up from your desk to go to the restroom, for a cup of coffee or “spa” water is frowned upon. If you are standing at your co-workers desk asking how their weekend was, this will be brought up to management as everyone is watching you. Professionals will go to management instead of speaking with you directly if they have any issues. So you will be blindsided when you get called into the office.
    • The floors are so quiet you can hear a pin drop. Socializing between attorney’s and staff is nonexistent. You are just another number who sit at the desk. It's OK for all of the professions to have loud conversations with each other, but god forbid you should walk over and say hello to your co-worker, management will call you into their office and will say they "heard" you weren't at your desk.
    • Your daily time-sheet is kept in ADP. You manually punch in and out four times per day. If your shift is 9:30-5:30 which is the standard, and you come in at 9:22 and put that time into ADP, management will question why you’re doing 8 minutes of OT and who authorized it. OT is virtually non-existent, so if you’re hoping to earn a bit more at any given time by staying late or working through lunch, rarely does this happen. Management combs through your time sheets daily and wont hesitate to send you an email or call you asking why you have 8 minutes of OT (not kidding here).
    • Management is new to the firm, employed under a year. They micro manage every aspect of the administrative staff. It's not about whose the problem employee and whose great. Management will always have something to say about your performance. Never have I seen such a mass exit of secretaries in my time here, as has happened under the new management.
    • There is NO, I repeat NO maternity leave for administrative staff. If your pregnant or planning to have a child this is not the place to do so. Employees must use their own sick time and then apply for short term disability. STD pays out about 60% of your pay and they will still take out all medical, 401K, etc. from that paycheck, leaving you with virtually no take home pay. Female attorneys and professionals get 100% paid maternity leave and 4 months off. There are no wet rooms to pump if you need to. Doesn't sound pro-woman to me.
    • Desk support consists of 1 secretary having 4-7 people on her desk. Initially they will start you light, but after the honeymoon period ends they continually tack on more and more people. Its a musical chairs game.
    • Titles for admins range from Executive Assistant, Administrative Assistant and Legal Secretaries. Why? I’m not sure we all do the same thing more or less. Assistants support both legal and non-legal professionals.
    • Although you can see the Times Square ball from the conference room, the firm does not have any New Years Eve festivities here. What a shame because the ball is literally right across the window, and the closest most people will ever get.
    • If your attorney gives you permission to leave early for the day, you simply can't and will get into trouble.
    • Desk assignments are changed frequently so you'll find that you don't really get to know the people you support cause for no reason given, they can be moved to another assistant and it's simply called "moving things around".
    • Management take turns walking the floors, and speaking to each other about who was and was not at their desk. You could be in the restroom, or copying/scanning but they will assume you must not be working if your fingers are not tapping away at the keyboard and they didn't see you at your desk during their frequent walks past your desk. One instance management hid in a vacant office with the lights off hiding by the desk (I'm not kidding) waiting to see what time an assistant returned from lunch. The secretary who had run out to Duane Reade and right back after 2:00 p.m. was told lunch had to be taken between 12-2. Something that was not told to anyone ever employed here before the new management was put into place.

We all know that no job is perfect and there will always be quirks to every position, however, this firm has so many negatives, it was worth writing a detailed review so you’re informed before considering working here. Morale here has been at an all time low since management came onboard. Manatt sells the firm high, but once you’ve signed the offer letter you see the real dynamic here. When in doubt read all the other negative reviews here. I hope to be out of here ASAP and a lot of support staff are looking to leave.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have never accepted a position here. I would not recommend a job here to a family member or a friend. But I would recommend it to an enemy. Run don't walk to any other position other than this firm.

Advice to Management

Fire management and bring in new blood who actually is pro-staff and has compassion and who knows what we do. Not someone who walks around and then makes assumptions they don't see you must be fooling around. Not a management who comes from a military background as they made clear upon their initial introduction and wants to run the place like a boot camp. Look at the rate of resignations for assistants which should speak volumes. The high turn over rate in certain departments under management should be a crystal clear indication that something is horribly wrong. Exit interviews should serve a purpose. If enough former employee's have brought up issues with the new management, shouldn't that be a red flag?