Manchester Airports Group Security Officer Reviews | Glassdoor

Manchester Airports Group Security Officer Reviews

Updated Oct 16, 2019

2.8
Manchester Airports Group Chief Executive Charlie Cornish (no image)
Charlie Cornish
  1. "Friendly, nice place to work"

Current Employee - Terminal Security Officer in Stansted, England

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff and managers are friendly Plenty of tea breaks Everyday is different Free airport parking

Cons

Awful working hours, 2am starts etc. Very difficult to get onto a full time contract. Over staffed and they're unable to offer the hours most people want.

Manchester Airports Group2019-10-16
  2. "Not for everyone"

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very secure and stable. Staff wellfare is top notch. Good rate of pay and plenty of progression options

Cons

Job is soul-destroying as there's no variety and you're dealing with moody passengers all day and the annualised contract ruins your schedule

Manchester Airports Group2019-09-18
  3. "Brilliant Employer"

Current Employee - Aviation Security Officer

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A lot of career opportunities

Cons

Long distance to travel for me but it's worth it, some days.

Manchester Airports Group2019-07-12
  4. "Good job if you can accept early starts"

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good paid breaks, good management they understand how difficult the job can be and always support you if needed, however they hate lazy workers and will give them a hard time so be warned. always busy especially in the summer, means shifts go quick, friendly staff who always have a laugh, free coffee.

Cons

Constant shift changes, can be stood for long periods, abusive passengers. Please be aware there are regular 3am starts and 12 hour shifts it's hard work so dont apply if this is a issue.

Manchester Airports Group2019-06-01
  5. "Poor working environment, no support from management"

Current Employee - Aviation Security Officer

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some flexibility in holiday hours. Paid breaks.

Cons

Poor working condition overall, in terms of facilities and equipment. Very little support from management when dealing with abusive passengers or airline crews.

Manchester Airports Group2019-07-02

"Just dont do it for your own sanity"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

None at all I can think of

Cons

Poor shifts, Shift changes constantly, Manager who are just bully's and rude, Fellow staff trying to intimidate new staff, Poor training, The shifts wreck your home life and sleep pattern because they are always changing at 72 hours notice

Manchester Airports Group2019-05-26

"Terminal Security Officer- Stansted Airport"

Current Employee - Terminal Security Officer in Stansted, England

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I could not in good conscience recommend this company to anyone

Cons

Poor management Deadly verbal abuse from passengers Unfair shift patterns that exploit staff (4 hour shifts) Failure to comply with health and Safety legislation Company culture is to exploit, Everything for maximum profit with little investment in infrastructure or staff training. To always buy the cheapest, Nastiest equipment possible and then wonder why it doesn’t work properly Incompetent managers

Manchester Airports Group2018-12-02

"Security"

Current Employee - Aviation Security Officer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great colleague team spirit helps you through the days mundane work tasks.

Cons

Antiquated lower management. Very poorly maintained build environment and extremely poor ergonomic design and layout of the site.

Manchester Airports Group2018-07-24

"I, myself and all of my colleagues would not recommend MAG. ASO Review"

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Paid breaks, good pension, and not much more.

Cons

Overworked, under appreciated. Annualised hours is completely appalling. Applied for 20 hours a week and I’m currently working a 50 hour week with no signs of this stopping anytime soon. Expect to be working from midnight, from 3am and expect to be working out up to 10pm/midnight often. Typical shifts 4 x early (3am start) and 4 x late. I haven’t had more than two days off since I started. (This is for a 20 hour job - supposedly. Absolutely no way of getting any kind of sleeping pattern. Two days off always turns into one and a half when you’re in bed for 6pm trying to sleep for the 3am start the next day. Annualised hours frequently changed meaning you can not plan anything for your life. You have to have 3 days notice for the shift changes but this is not enough. Work areas are dim, dirty and noisy. Unfriendly place to work and then organisation leads to passengers being constantly upset and taking it out on staff who can do nothing to fix these problems. If you drive you’ll have to park on the staff car park and this means arriving for your shift at least 30 minutes early, and don’t expect to be to your car until half past the hour that you finish. You are not paid for this time but it adds a lot on to your shift. I’m 10 miles away and I am leaving an hour and a quarter before my shift starts - for a 20 minute drive. This is a killer when starting at 3 am. Resources staff completely careless. Emails of concerns or complaints are shown absolutely no sympathy - coming from people working 9-5 week days - they have absolutely no idea what it means cluelessly change your work schedule, and what it does to your life. This is not just from one person but my whole training group who would say exactly the same thing. This is a wide opinion. Will not be my current employer for long. Staff retention is terrible. Most trainees soon leave after finishing training. Hundreds of ASO staff left last year alone - including lots that have been here for over 10 years’.

Manchester Airports Group2018-05-30
  10. "Great future vision but could care better for its base staff"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Manchester Airports Group part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Environment is great, it’s fun to work with security staff. Pay was good althought it’s levelling with other non-qualified roles. Fast paced and interesting. Constantly recruiting (perhaps due to huge turnaround o staff leaving)

Cons

Annualised contracts leave no room for balancing life-work relationship. Management won’t give legal benefits without a little fight

Manchester Airports Group2018-02-21