Manchester City Council Reviews | Glassdoor

Manchester City Council Lord Mayor Paul Murphy
Paul Murphy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Council life"

I have been working at Manchester City Council full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Easy, not much real work as the council no longer delivers services. Generous leave and pensions.

Cons

Not much real work as the council no longe delivers services. Progression not based on ability. Red tape. Slow systems. Aging workforce.

2. "Good only if your face fits"

Pros

Flexible working, good holidays, helping members of the public, dont have any good words to say really.

Cons

Slightly racist, rubbish pay if your not senior management. Low paid salary..to many bad things to say can not fit them in

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equally to get the best out of them.

3. "MCC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Manchester City Council full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Manchester City Council is a good employer to work for in my opinion. They have a number of benefits such as flexible working and a decent pension scheme.

Cons

To name the main con of working for Manchester City Council would probably include the bureaucracy and red tape that can come with working for a large public sector organisation.

Advice to Management

Advice to the management of Manchester City Council would be to try and reduce a reliance or tendency to rely on policies and procedures.

4. "Should do better but don't want to."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Manchester City Council (More than 10 years)

Pros

its Secure,with flexible hours, I work in a very supportive and good team, public transport is convenient.

Cons

I feel Undervalued for the level of skills and experience that I have, the loss of experienced people means that I feel overworked, unappreciated, and ignored by senior managers.

Advice to Management

The majority of people who work here do it because they want to make a difference and serve the community that they live in. We work long hours for pay that is less than we could get in the private sector for the skills that we have. We would like some recognition for those skills, not just being taken for granted. It is galling when the Senior Management Team get payrises, but the rest of the workforce don't. Come and work with the teams and do their jobs for a month, and get a grip of what we are actually dealing with on a day to day basis.

5. "Working in the Council"

Pros

Great flexibility. Depending on your manager good progression.

Cons

Every department is different. It does depend on who the manager is.

6. "Fairer Implementation of Pay Policy"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

In my 5 years working at St John's Primary School in Longsight, Manchester, it was a very pleasurable and wonderful experience. The supportive team was the best I have worked with, and the care between the members of that team were what made everything exceptionally worthwhile. With the fact that this was a highly multicultural context I would commend those team members to be of the highest standards in their abilities to fulfill their duties and roles and their intelligence about what values should be prioritised in a highly successful work environment.

Cons

Due to their high levels of committment, more consideration for exceeding their expected duties in relation to salary would have been an improvement all round, either in clarifying the efficiency of their performance regarding knowledge of who was responsible for any extra duties kindly taken up by staff members OR in implementation of the fair pay policies directing the senior management.

Advice to Management

See 'Cons'.

7. "catering assistant"

I worked at Manchester City Council part-time

Pros

Fits in with the school holidays

Cons

Some kitchens can be busy and under staffed

8. "good and bad"

Former Employee - Trainer in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Trainer in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

Good Salery , protected better than the private sector generally (not so much thedse days)

Cons

Managment, my line manager was amazizing but the rest, the middle and senior managment were an utter joke, simply out to to make a name for them, forgetting they are a public service

Advice to Management

root and brand review of middle to upper managment and see who actally cares

9. "IT Service Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

Excellent location, and facilities
    Friendly staff

Cons

lack of development and training, outdated processes, although 'changes and implementation of best practice' was classed as part of the strategy there was little support from Management. It felt i was more about 'quick wins' than processes to last.

Advice to Management

Define the IT Strategy and support it, knowing many improvements cannot happen overnight and do require 'foundations'

10. "Unfair employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Manchester City Council full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I really don't think there are any cons for working for MCC. In fact I am actually ashamed to work for them and try and keep it quiet where possible.

Cons

Well what can I say just look at the homeless situation at the moment. They have cut services to the bone and this is what you get.
    On a personal note they are supposed to be a equal opportunity employer and thee not its all jobs for the boys.I personally know of two managers that steal time and nothing is done about it. One of these managers actually steals food of the homeless also.

Advice to Management

There are too many managers try cutting back on them.