Manchester College Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Student Worker"

Current Employee - Marketing Web Assistant in North Manchester, IN
    Current Employee - Marketing Web Assistant in North Manchester, IN

Pros

Flexible hours, accommodating to school activities, taught me an entirely new skill on the job

Cons

Minimum wage pay for all jobs for students, regardless of difficulty, experience, or skill

2. "Job Review"

Former Employee - Many Different Jobs Worked in North Manchester, IN
    Former Employee - Many Different Jobs Worked in North Manchester, IN

Pros

works around class schedule and is good pay for a student. I was surprised at how many options there were for work study

Cons

while working for phonathon hours weren't very accommodating and they ran in to some of my major studying times and trying to communicate efficiently with alumni was difficult at times

Advice to Management

offer more tutoring options in the sciences

3. ""University" is quite a stretch. Overall a bad experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Manchester, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Manchester, IN

I worked at Manchester College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some friendly people in a few departments. A few catered meals/receptions each year are a nice touch.

Cons

Far too many tasks listed in the job description to be able to complete everything required and was told repeatedly they would not hire any help, yet everything should be accomplished, anyway, which led to NO work/life balance, many overtime hours with no overtime pay. Higher ups do not listen to reason and were uncaring. No communication between departments. It's very difficult to get anything accomplished when you need information from another department. VP's seem to compete with one another and have trust issues with each other, which may be why departments do not work well together. Snobbery is a definite culture problem there and is referred to as "silos".

Advice to Management

Start listening to employees instead of what VP's say about their employees' satisfaction. The president needs to get a clue and stop spending money on his house (university perk) and start paying his employees better. The entire place needs an "we're on the same team" attitude rather than the petty backstabbing that goes on. Stop promoting the favorites to lead departments when they have little experience/expertise in the field. Also, there's a reason some departments can't hang on to employees, yet they keep the same management in place or even promote them and ignore the problem.

4. "Great Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in North Manchester, IN
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in North Manchester, IN

Pros

Lots of room to develop, easy to seek guidance, and an overall great work experience

Cons

More opportunity to develop administratively, for furthering in the same field of employment after graduation.

5. "Great place to be!"

Current Employee - Director in North Manchester, IN
    Current Employee - Director in North Manchester, IN

I have been working at Manchester College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Supportive supervisor who is motivating and appreciates the work of our team. Professional and respectful atmosphere. Supervisors appreciate and recognize employees who go above and beyond. Most everyone lives the mission statement of the University. Supportive of family time and flexible when family obligations arise. My direct supervisor cares to know and understand who I am and what matters to me. Professional development opportunities are made possible and attendance is encouraged. Most everyone truly seems happy to be at work!

Cons

Pay. Unrealistic expectations for the amount of work that can be accomplished in the hours given to complete it is frustrating. Snobbery at times such as when one needs information from another department and the person requesting the information is circumspect for asking. This makes me feel like I am unimportant and it stops progress on projects I am working on until the person deems me worthy of his or her knowledge.

Advice to Management

Treat part-time employees with the same importance as full-time even though we don't qualify for the same compensation package as full-time employees. We still matter and so does our work.

6. "Great people, great mission, great university"

Current Employee - Manchester University Staff Member in North Manchester, IN
    Current Employee - Manchester University Staff Member in North Manchester, IN

I have been working at Manchester College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great mission, and a great university to work for. Manchester is always advancing, and the staff, faculty, and students are eager to be part of the advancing.

Cons

Some politics within the university can get irritating, but for the most part it is tolerable. The upper management can resist change in certain areas, but for the most part they are open to change.

Advice to Management

Things aren't what they used to be; embrace the change.

7. "Manchester College, North Manchester, IN"

Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in North Manchester, IN
    Former Employee - Public Relations Intern in North Manchester, IN

Pros

You don't feel like just a number. People genuinely care about you at MC.

Cons

It's not a very good way to diversify yourself, in small town Indiana.

Advice to Management

Repeal the dry campus moniker, and MC could really boom

8. "Intern"

Pros

Everyone is extremely friendly. Its a true midwest town in that way. Your input matters, even if you don't hold a high position. All the staff is approachable and willing to help, if they're not too busy.

Cons

Any and all interns only get paid minimum wage, no exceptions. There is a lack of diversity in the staff, not enough non-white staff members.

Advice to Management

Give students that prove themselves an opportunity for raises, even if its just to eight dollars per hour. Also, hire more multicultural staff.

9. "Intern"

I have been working at Manchester College part-time

Pros

As a student intern, you can earn a lot of hands on experience, and everyone is willing to help you build exactly the kind of experience you want.

Cons

Pay is bad (IN minimum wage), and communication is terrible between departments and across campus, which is frustrating. There are several higher-up people who are unwilling to modernize, which sometimes makes putting new plans into action difficult.

10. "Great opportunity for students"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Manchester College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I graduated from Manchester College (now Manchester University) and was lucky enough to work for Manchester as a student. Many of the departments, including Public Relations, Technology, Library Studies, and Athletic Training, have internships that students can apply for. Each of these opens up every year, and they typically have 2 or 3 students work in each spot.

Cons

There are only a few spots avaliable, and typically go to the best, most outgoing students who are known around the school. If you have a shy, quick personality, and if you are not involved in various clubs on campus, you will not get the job. Furthermore, Manchester only pays their students minimum wage, and only lets them work 20 hours a week. Most positions only give you 10 hours a week. In reality, you cannot earn more than $1000 a semester from working.