Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group Group Chief Executive James Riley
James Riley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great company culture, benefits and work atmosphere" (in 14 reviews)

• "Well-established working environment, experienced managers" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-Life Balance, Less than competitive salaries for high end hotel" (in 16 reviews)

• "No work/life balance, backstabbing and favoritism" (in 8 reviews)

"Sales Coordinator"

I have been working at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group full-time

Pros

Formal training, small company, up to date systems, opportunity to be involved in processes

Cons

None, it is a great company

"The worst job and worst management I have ever been unfortunate enough to endure."

Former Employee - Cook in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Cook in Boston, MA

I worked at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely, positively, none. Maybe that working there helped me develop a sense of what to never accept at any future work place ever again?

Cons

Oh! Where do I begin? How about the management that has no idea how to manage? How about the fact that I was groped and touched and talked about inappropriately by male staff constantly, and had it blamed on my “tight pants”? How about the fact that my parents flew out for my college graduation, and the next day I had to be in at 6am??? I live across the country from my family and they couldn’t even give me a day to enjoy the new era of my life with them. I cried the entire drive to work, convincing myself that this is just adulthood and you have to put work before family sometimes. No! I found a new job, and I have unlimited paid time off & my bosses respect me and my personal life. It was all a lie! They paid “decent” money to get you to stay, but now that I’m free I’m so mad. They are a company full of compliant liars, cheats, backstabbers, and sheep. I worked 15-16 hour days driving an hour both ways to commute, often with out breaks during those shifts. Kitchen life does NOT have to be inhumane. If I could get other employees to speak up, I would try and do something. My mental health, my physical health, my family & social life, all damaged by this forsaken company! Do your self a favor and RUN AWAY, DO NOT APPLY!!! They will promise you everything you want to hear, make it seem like a privilege and honor to work there...nope. I walked out after almost a year of borderline abuse and I could never be happier. I found a job that pays more, gives me an hour break (paid!), my coworkers are lovely people who don’t constantly talk behind my back (which was ironic, given that I was one of the youngest people there yet it was the parents, the adults, who had the most to say when I or other people weren’t in the room.). There are three people who I will miss from that hotel, they were the three people that were good souls that happened to get stuck in a bad place. I wish them well. But everyone else....shame on you. For treating your staff like you do, for giving a measly couple cent bonus to everyone and acting like it was a huge deal, for acting like your this wonderful company that treats its workers as good as its clients. I have never been so disgusted, disappointed, disheartened by a company than by this one. All you cared about was getting more guest, more famous people, more events, to bring in money & commission. You did not give one inkling about the people who made it so that those people would come in the first place...us. The cooks, the housekeepers, dishwashers, janitors, etc. Truly, truly, truly, rotten to the core. Please, if you care about yourself, stay away. There are better jobs out there that will treat you right....this is not one of them. I had to learn the hard way, and luckily got out while I was still young & before I became conditioned ...dont be like me.

Advice to Management

You all know what you’re doing, and don’t care. You’ll continue to hire young, or foreign, or naive people who do your dirty work while you take 5-6 lunch breaks a day because you literally don’t do any work but make all the big bucks. You are a shame to any real managers out there. I am continuously in shock at my new job with how well I am treated, when really its the norm, ya’ll are the outliers. I hope one day your broken empire falls and good people come & rebuild...there is no fixing that place as it currently is. Good luck, and good riddance. I might be young, but I’m not dumb, I knew something was wrong and I can’t believe I trusted any of you to help guide me in the right direction. Shame, shame, shame.

"Full of Empty Promises"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many - free lunch (but many companies offer that now, and all hotels offer that), benefits kick in right away

Cons

Management is full of empty promises. Promises to do certain things, to take steps towards new structure, to work on your development, to offer you adequate work life balance, to give you clear definition of your role, to give you training for your role...all of these things seem like pretty basic, straight forward promises that any company would follow through on giving to their employees, right? Well, not Mandarin. They tell you what they want you to hear to get you in the door, they give you no training, they work you to the bone, and management gives no thanks and shows no appreciation for hard work. The only acknowledgement you'll receive here is for anything you've done wrong - but don't you dare mention that it's because you were never trained, that'll get you a hand slap and weeks more of evil treatment! This is a total dictatorship. It's really too bad, because the company's values sound great, and the story of their rich history is really intriguing and makes you want to be apart of their "growth" (I put that in quotes, because while they keep emphasizing their growth, the truth is that they've closed more US properties than they've opened in the past few years, with no sight of opening any more - so no growth in sight if you're in the US). It's all a lie, a good one at that, they got me! It's also too bad that when you complain about management, not much can be done because upper management reports to corporate in Hong Kong! They don't want to hear from or take anything seriously from anyone at the property level. The turnover here is insanely high too. No department is every fully staffed it seems. This probably also part of why your voice is hard to be heard, as soon as someone hears it, they're gone too. Don't work here if you want growth, respect, work-life balance, or mental sanity.

Advice to Management

It's hard to give any more than I've already given directly to them, I know they won't listen - but here it goes anyway: LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES. Instead of taking their complaints personally and firing back, try to understand where they're coming from and actually try to make an effort to make them happier and fix the fundamental issues at hand. TRY, that's all, and it's simple, just TRY. Stop focusing on making this #1 place on trip advisor, and focus on making this the #1 place to work - you'd be amazed at how the trip advisor ratings will improve with employee satisfaction. We are, after all, the reason guests return and leave satisfied.

4. "Good opportunities if you stick with it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Five star brand. Good place to learn. Decent opportunities. The hotel values its collegues. Very good benefits. Most colleagues are very good workers.

Cons

High stress and low pay but that's expected with hospitality business but then also, one expects better from the Mandarin. Some colleagues are getting away with doing just the bare minimum. Managers are leaving so its difficult to get any consistency.

Advice to Management

Increase pay. Encouragement and feedback for under performing colleagues.

5. "Fantastic place to work"

I have been working at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group full-time

Pros

Great training, fantastic opportunity to grow, wonderful colleagues

Cons

None that I can think of

"only if you are desperate."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group full-time

Pros

benefits, part of a 5 star group

Cons

has nothing to do with MO Hotel Group. You will be asked to do things outside of your job description, managers will ask you to ignore things for which in other hotel people get written up. the only hotel i ever saw where the person sewing clothes works in a spa, as a waitress, etc. they run you down like a slave. very Spanish, resentful towards other cultures whether you are a guest or a colleague. badly paid, unless you learn how to literally not spend a dollar from your check. i didn't get insurance, as i was "recommended" not to. corporate, meaning people who will leave a stained chair there for a long time, because it is not their job to ask for a new one.

Advice to Management

look at someone's results, don't run them down to the point of mental breakdown so they quit. you lost a few good people.

7. "Cafeteria Cook"

Current Employee - Cook in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Cook in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

great medical coverage, small working space and teams, friendly enviorment.

Cons

small hotel, small team, understaffed, no paid break

"MOBOS"

Former Employee - Banquet Chef in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Banquet Chef in Boston, MA

I worked at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

5 Star, Downtown, pressured environment

Cons

5 Star and in Boston

Advice to Management

Don't treat your staff that way. stop worrying about unionization and run your business

9. "Massage Therapist"

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very high volume spa, nice product lines. Free lunch or dinner every shift. Decent benefits package. Laundry service for uniforms. Pleasant knowledgeable colleagues.

Cons

Poorly managed hotel. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. High stress environment. You will be denied time off even if you have accrued it. The spa is open 365 days a year. You are expected to work Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. The hotel will do nothing special for you to acknowledge the holiday. You just work like you are hired to do and that's that.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of caring for your employees. Stop the shenanigans. Treat your colleagues like people and not work horses. And provide the tools and knowledge needed to do the job.

10. "Union environment sucks"

I have been working at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group full-time

Pros

The hourly pay is really great. Probably best in the city for a line position.

Cons

Employees with low seniority don't get OT. People also take the union rules too seriously and you actually hear "that not my job" way too often.