Manhattan Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Manhattan Associates President & CEO Eddie Capel
Eddie Capel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • When it comes to work-life balance, I feel I've gotten the better side of this than some in other divisions (in 41 reviews)

• Good learning experience of supply chain managemnt (in 92 reviews)

"No more life"

Former Employee - Software Analyst in North Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Analyst in North Atlanta, GA

I worked at Manhattan Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- People at the company are sometimes cool
    - Lots of exposure to the business and different companies

Cons

- You may start slow,but you are guaranteed to work 70+ hour weeks minimum once you reach a certain level of seniority. I have worked these hours for over a year now with no end in sight. Management flatly denies the existence of a work-life balance problem despite it being the main and persistent complaint at the company for nearly a decade. A lot of employees here have their job tied to their work visa so they are "trapped" to work here. That drives the mentality that exists there that work == life and there is never any compromise.
    - Travel will exceed amount in your job description and you will get very little notice, sometimes a few hours notice that you will be on a plane
    - The company works very inefficiently. For Analysts, there is no onboarding, training, nor product documentation. It is every man for himself.It is very hard to get better at your job because the only way to get any information is from more experienced peers - if they are busy, that's all there is.
    - Project Managers just say "yes" always and have no concern for making a reasonable timeline or "protecting their guys". Culture of Project Management is atrocious and insulting. All PMs/Directors leave the building by ~3 PM each day whereas lower positions work all day, work all night, every night, every weekend because of PM inability to control the project.
    - Most people are lied to about what their job will be. Consultants? No - software tester. Software Analyst? No - software tester/log-reader/triage to development team (usually offshore). You will not develop strong skills that can translate to other jobs and as an Analyst you WILL NOT write hardly any code at all. That makes it very hard to leave after you have multiple years of not being a developer, yet you hold a computer science degree. It is better to just not join than get trapped.

Advice to Management

Can't say much - this is how MANH runs. At the absolute expense of the well-being of every non-senior-management employee. New hires are deceived on what their job will be, then entrapped as their transferrable skills decay. There is absolutely no reason to stay unless you are soon eyeing senior management (perhaps as an experienced hire - as management you can do a lot less). At an entry-level position it is both personal and career suicide to join the company.

2. "Bad company...slavery in modern times"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Only slaves and sales can survive

Cons

80 hrs work and calls...week day and weekend support.
    Low pay..bad treatment from bosses.
    We are humanstill not machine

Advice to Management

You need to change.

"Do not accept position if accepting position in ETS"

Former Employee - ETS Technician in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - ETS Technician in Smyrna, GA

Pros

If you can manage to learn all of their policies extremely quickly, provides a place for growth (maybe?)

Cons

Contradicting information, double standard for help desk (ETS) vs everybody else (for example, all users are granted local admin rights to install whatever software they want, but if anyone in ETS does it, someone will remote into computer, delete the program files folder, and reprimand you), spoiled rotten customers (ETS is forced to use the oldest models that are still in stock, but everybody else gets the newest of the new laptops, which they get to exchange for brand new ones every 3 years), love to lead you around by the nose (try to automate and optimize an overly complicated process for them, a process that I was the only one who had to perform and involved a 4 page checklist that I had to go over and ensure the deployment did what it was supposed to, and they will seem interested, but will put it off so that there can be a meeting about implementing it, which will never occur), straight up lied during the interview process (was told they used the latest and greatest technologies and they liked to stay current, but realize when I got there they use, get this: Windows 7 x64 for clients, Server 2008 functioning on a server 2003 level, System center configuration manager 2007. Does that sound current to you? Sounds barely within microsoft's range of support to me), ridiculous reliance on self admitted broken procedures and systems, unrealistic expectations that required me to work overtime hours that I wasn't even able to document and therefore, receive pay, offer absolutely no opportunity to find your own solution to a problem (which I would think is the whole point of hiring someone with IT support experience) but instead want you to ask someone else to get solution for every little detail (which is annoying to both of us), horribly restrictive security software and policy (simply by having a file on your pc, cylance will, with its "sophisticated AI", quarantine it if it uses a similar method/technique/behavior implemented by other known malware (Among list of erroneously quarantined files: any AutoIT script that I ever wrote (could have been as simple as a script which moves and renames files from one directory to another), windows All in one repair, and even some of the companies very own files stored on file shares!!!) which is probably one of the most ridiculous anti-malware techniques witnessed to-date; quarantines more legitimate software than not; and still doesn't help with malware infections (still had plenty of pcs brought in with malware on them), etc. Quite frankly, my list of grievances could fill volumes, and, as someone who loves IT, this company produced probably the most unsatisfactory work environment I have ever worked in (ironic that they should be voted one of the top places to work in 2016 by the Wall street journal, a piece of information they love to dangle in front of you like a carrot on a string, but ets certainly wasn't a part of the process in determining that, I can tell you that now). My suggestion, accept if taking any position other than ets, because ets will spoil you rotten. Otherwise, back out immediately, unless you are truly desperate. And if you do accept, make sure all your software is portable and only store it on file shares, as cylance won't look there considering their own files are flagged as malware by cylance.

Advice to Management

don't be so restrictive in the tools and methods used to get things done, which defeats the whole purpose of hiring someone with IT support background in the first place (if all you need is for someone to ask questions on how to handle every issue that pops up, without using any of the knowledge gained from their past experience, hire a high school drop out instead, because that kind of environment tends to frustrate IT professionals), highly recommend you change security software as it quarantines more legitimate products than harmful (simply quarantines them because it uses a similar method/technique/behavior implemented by other known malware, without at all testing it (running it in a sandbox before execution is a completely valid option too. Avast endpoint security would be a better option). Not to mention that cylance views files stored within your own fileshares as malware (you just prevent it from looking there, as the second it is transferred to local drive, quarantined). How can you profess to maintaining a secure environment with that software when it flags your own shares, then go around punishing those whose legitimate software is gobbled up by it? I would have to then recommend that any and all software be of a portable nature and stored and executed from a file share to which one had write permissions, considering cylance won't search there (since you have software which is classified as malware stored there and my only regret is not doing this). You are hypocrites, liars, and slave drivers; and I can only hope that you will eventually fall into the grave you have dug yourself.

"sr. Consultant"

I worked at Manhattan Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I could list pay as a pro but you spend so much time in the office , that if you take the salary and divide by hours spent in Manhattan office, it's like minium wage .

Cons

Manhattan went down after new CEO took over in 2011 or 2012 . Long hours was the norm . if you are H1 B visa, you had to stay longer .... middle managers were terrible , specially in CSO organization. But that's reflection of new CEO and I assume nothing has changed. my entire team is no longer working there. moved on to greener pastures . Recommend for new college graduate . If you are experienced , keep looking. Not a very friendly place to work

"Good for new grads but not for experienced"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Manhattan Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health insurance. Don't see many pros after being a senior. Good place for new grads.

Cons

1. If you want to talk to India at 11 pm - 1 am every night in the evening, come to get a job

2. No career advancement. Managers don't care about your future, all they care is issues!!! They cancel your training, your vacation because they have concerns. Even everything is finished on time and you are not busy the moment. Btw you are probably lucky if you get a training once a year.

3. I've seen a lot of people left. In the past year, half of my team have changed. They try to keep seniors but only freshes come. Most of the people who stay long are for green card from certain country.

4. Compensation is average or lower.

Advice to Management

Hire some real people who has strong management background. Not everyone can be managers.

"Buyer Beware: Global Technology Services"

Pros

Manhattan has been voted a top company for which to work. While employed I did see some pockets of talent and competence. It seems the PSO (Professional Services Organization) must run a tight ship because it produces well-selling products. I worked in Global Technology Services, the internal organization supporting analytics and financials among other things.

Cons

The department in which I worked had no Release Management, no Configuration Management and no cohesive strategy for delivery. Recent organizational changes have FTEs (full-time employees) reporting to a contractor who is a friend of the Senior Director for GTS. This created a combative and extremely unhealthy working environment. Clear directives were either non-existent or contradictory. It seems to me that the contractor mentioned above has an agenda that may be in conflict with the betterment of the organization.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Remove the perception of the "good-old boy" network. There are too many valuable resources that are getting caught up in political in-fighting.

"DO NOT WORK FOR MANHATTAN. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM EITHER."

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Manhattan Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a somewhat decent salary and benefit. But that's about it.

Cons

This company is a complete and total lie. They treat their employees like crap. Politics is the name of the game around here and everything is a stick-measuring contest. Team members will not hesitate to throw each other under the bus for career opportunities. They claim to care about their customers, but they have an entire department dedicated to handling software defects (CSO) because they know their product isn't a quality one from a software perspective. Ideas suggested to help the company are immediately shot down. Oh, and did I mention that they take your soul? You will have maybe 7 hrs/day to yourself on a good day. Kiss whatever personal life that you have goodbye.

Advice to Management

STOP SHOOTING IDEAS DOWN BECAUSE OF COMPANY POLITICS. And, to Mr. Eddie Capel, current CEO, I hope that you read this, listen to the newer employees because they have ideas that will make Manhattan better, but their superiors shoot them down. Truly listen to them because your competitors are catching up and fast.

"No care about Employee satisfaction"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Manhattan Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supply chain domain, lot of good things to learn

Cons

work-life balance is horrible. Long weekdays accompanied by weekend work. employees are made to work on Thanksgiving holidays, christmas holidays

Advice to Management

Invest a little more on employees, pay better salaries

"Don't believe the reviews that were obviously planted by an insecure management team"

I have been working at Manhattan Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We were a strong company. We were growing-innovative-productive-and were providing a valuable product/service to our clients. The operative word here is “were.”

Cons

Low salaries. Poor delivery. Intense politics. Unprofessional and abusive middle and upper management. People aren't empowered, and they certainly aren't encouraged to do the right thing. How can they be when they don't have comp plans and role descriptions associated with their actual jobs, not to mention being allowed to do what is in the best interests of customers.

Advice to Management

Stop putting your own false posts on this site. We've heard your pleas in town hall meetings to put good things out here, but you can't ask people to lie. Make it better, and people will recognize the efforts without manipulation.

"If you are out of college, it's a good deal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Manhattan Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few company events (lunches, ice cream socials) are scheduled throughout the year to keep people motivated.

Cons

From a CSO perspective (Customer Service)
    * Burnout easily - Long hours, weekends sometimes, holidays
    * Lots of office politics
    * With the new CEO, pressure increased for longer hours
    * If you have to leave earlier for personal reason, you are frown upon
    * Nature of the job is boring .... moving shipment from a place to another. Burnout quickly in this environment .
    * Shareholders, CEO and upper management certainly profit from extensive amount of hours that technical people (PSO and CSO ) puts on . But employees are the ones getting the short end of stick .

* If you don't have WMOS experience , don't go to CSO. Head to PSO to gain experience. There's no training in CSO .
    * If you are out of college, go to PSO, or another company .
    * Golden handcuffes to some employees for the long hours. But if you divide the money $$ by the hours worked and stress and weight gained ... is it worth ?
    * Sweatshop mentality

Good business outlook if you are a shareholder , or investor in this company. Not an employee.