Manhattan Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Manhattan Associates President & CEO Eddie Capel
Eddie Capel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • When it comes to work-life balance, I feel I've gotten the better side of this than some in other divisions (in 34 reviews)

• Good place to learn Supply Chain functionality (in 83 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance is not that good (in 122 reviews)

• No work life balance - lenghty working hours (in 43 reviews)

"Meh..."

Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Manhattan Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Manhattan hires some of the smartest and hardest working college graduates (those with <5 years tenure at MA); I was on some tough projects and all the recent college hires on the team pulled together to focus on the client.
    - I loved the diversity here; so many different cultures combine to provide a lot of varying viewpoints and back grounds.
    - I worked on the Warehouse Management product and was constantly amazed by how intuitive and robust the software is (I was a technical analyst); you truly get to see how much the software helps clients in minimizing the cost of the items spent in the warehouses.
    - You get to work with many Fortune 500 companies which was really fun.
    - The benefits package, for a young person at least, was great. 401k with matching, multiple health insurance plans to choose from, flexible spending, short and long term disability, etc. I was thoroughly impressed when they recently announced greatly improved maternity and paternity leave benefits.
    - They had great events throughout the year; they had diversity, networking, and volunteering events, the employee appreciation party is always a blast, and town hall was fun.

Cons

- Fortunately I was long gone by the time this company decided to lay off 100+ employees. While I completely understand the company has a financial duty to its stockholders, they hired LIKE CRAZY for years prior. As we see now, that was a horrible decision and I'm sure it has negatively impacted their reputation from here on out. Along the same lines, the onboarding training is crap and there were not nearly enough resources to adequately train each individual. But Manhattan's M.O. seems to be hire a ton of college grads, not train them thoroughly (mainly because they know most people leave in a year), and work them into the ground.
    - Going along with work-life balance....what work-life balance? Expect to work long days and weekends with no reward/overtime/bonus, even when it's not busy season. And when you do get PTO, you could be emailed/called on that day. Shoot, you could be on your honeymoon (PTO btw) in an international location and still be expected to work (true story).
    - The lack of maturity and integrity of upper management is astounding - and this is coming from a millennial. Constant internal blame-game instead of focusing on the client, unnecessary drama, over-promising to clients just to name a few. I was in a situation once where the PM of a project screwed up causing the client to be extremely pissed because the wrong code was sent over and instead of him taking responsibility, he proceeded to tell the other manager "to put them on blast" (referring to us lower-on-the-totum-pole employees). Oddly enough, it was then and there that I decided I wanted to leave this company.
    - There is some deep racism in this company...and not the typical form you think of in America. As sad as it is, I can understand why. When Manhattan sponsors the American work visas for international employees, they own them and they know it. Literally as modern-day slavery as you can get. Worked like crazy (70+ hour work weeks, next to no sleep, forced to do company "voluntary" activities that the rest of us do not have to do) for much less pay. And in turn those of us who are citizens here face a great deal of hatred.
    - Probably the #2 complaint here is no work-from-home policy (except emergencies/doctor's appointments/apartment or house getting worked on). For years people have complained that most software companies get to work at least one day remote but Manhattan adamantly refuses. Their response to working on employees' work-life balance? Offering a Cigna course on how to maintain work-life balance. Uh ok.
    - Probably not nearly as significant but should have been the first sign - when I interviewed here I was close to graduation (as most new hires are). Extremely young 20-year-old and I was asked if I was going to get pregnant anytime soon (yes I am a female). I was stunned. Not married. Never had given the impression that I wanted children. Perhaps if I weren't so naive, that would have been a warning sign :/

Advice to Management

Read my review :)

"Good Company..Expect to be laid off anytime"

I have been working at Manhattan Associates full-time

Pros

Good Company to learn about products. But beware of layoffs.

Cons

Good Company..Expect to be laid off anytime.

Advice to Management

Don't set high targets and layoff really working people

"Not as Great as Expected"

I worked at Manhattan Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-High profile clients
    -Extremely smart co-workers
    -Very diverse workforce

Cons

-Management carries their burn-out rate as a badge of honor. Often portray an image of "only the tough survive."
    -At the mercy of who your manager and clients are.
    -Often get stuck working weekends and long hours.
    -No clear 5 year plan.

Advice to Management

Recognize and be willing to accept the issues brought forward as opposed to creating a different reality.

"Review1"

Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Principal in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Manhattan Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

gets to deal with multiple clients, handle pressure situations, may learn OM/WM functional knowledge

Cons

Very poor work life balance, arrogant senior management, very less care for employees, junior employees are treated like trash.

you are just meant to tackle things

no new technical learning for PSO services ppl. you will loose out on technical skill set.

Advice to Management

start respecting employees. Its not only about bill ability bending your back for clients and filling time sheets

"Sweat Shop"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Will give experience, dealing with customers

Cons

No planned work, haphazard approach to clients, you will be over-worked

"Headless Chickens"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I worked at Manhattan Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chance to help clients with the custom warehouse management software

Cons

Buggy software coupled with focus on profitability and bonus guaranteed a pressure cooker working environment

Advice to Management

Pay developers a bonus even if the work is not chargeable to the client

"Good to get experience but not to make a career."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Manhattan Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. Manhattan Associates have high profile retail clients and its WMS software is the best out there.
    2. Is very likely you may find yourself in very difficult situations that will make get the best out of yourself
    3. They are always improving their software, so you will be working with the best functionalities in the market
    4. Manhattan tries to position themselves as a supply chain leader, and are developing other systems to follow that strategy, so you can have exposure to other systems not only WMS

Cons

1. Manhattan Associates does not have a long term career path, when you are working there is like being on a jungle, most of the time you are by yourself facing the client and supporting client critical operations 24/7, many employees that can not stand the pressure just end up leaving the company.
    2. Their software is in constant development to introduce bug fixes or new functionalities, however that means things breaking often, and if you break a live operation that means project teams find themselves fixing critical issues and working long hours frequently.
    3. They say they are global, however they are US centric, if you join them because you think you can travel abroad you may find that good resources stay in US, Manhattan relies on good consultants, so is not likely their managers let them go.
    4. Manhattan does not make a good job ensuring all their employees get a fair treatment, due that there is a lot of time on the road and you have 2 supervisors, one the project managers and the other your administrative manager and both are always overloaded, you may find in a situation you don´t have a mentor or someone that look out for you. If you have a bad manager, there are not good Human Resources procedures to avoid you are not treated fairly

Advice to Management

The company needs to create more leaders instead of just bosses. The type of systems implemented are very critical, you need to have more leaders to inspire and motivate your teams and have a company culture that looks out for the well being and work life balance of all employees not only to get the job done with the less resources.

8. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Manhattan Associates (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay and benefits
    Smart, friendly employees
    A very young and innovative company
    Located in sunny and warm Atlanta

Cons

Incredibly high burnout rate
    Out of touch management who rarely develop relationships with their employees
    Very limited options for advancement

Advice to Management

Open up opportunities for advancement more. It's the number one reason why many of my friends who've worked their have left.

"IT Infrastructure"

Former Employee - IT Infrastructure in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Infrastructure in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Manhattan Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong team dynamics. The people in the trenches care more than senior management. No advancement, HR department is lacked and not very helpful. You are a number there and nothing more. Overall employee concerns and suggestions are not acted on.

Cons

Lacks true direction from senior leadership. To many influences on what and how technology is brought in and used. Annual budget and purchasing decisions do not always match the immediate need(s) or risks.

Advice to Management

Hire more effective management. SOme have been there to long and have become complacent, cynical and part of the problem. Appreciate your staff what they bring to the table.

"MA financials will pull it through"

Pros

Some very good people on staff

Cons

Organizational malaise affects most departments, especially Marketing and ETS (IT). Overall, very frustrating.

Advice to Management

Replace marketing management. Global IT infrastructure is on the verge of collapse.