Manifest Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jason Benedict

Pros
  • Casual workplace and great people, generally (in 5 reviews)

• I met amazing people during my time there and still have lasting relationships with them (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is both devious and clueless (in 5 reviews)

• No one cares about how you feel (in 3 reviews)

"Once the dust settles - could be a good place to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Manifest Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Passionate, intelligent people who want results and get right to the point - this makes up the majority of the leadership that worked at Manifest when I was there.

A merger with another agency had introduced a good deal of opportunity into the mix for those who are willing to battle the chaos and ambiguity that come with any merger of this size.

Cons

1) The merger with another large agency (which itself was still just getting settled in after a previous merger), had introduced quite a bit of chaos into the day-to-day, at the time of my departure.

2) The agency world grows more competitive by the month. Clients continue to move work in-house. Agencies will need to continue to evolve to survive in the next decade, and Manifest is no exception.

Advice to Management

What is the agency focused on as revenue streams? What are its core competencies? Answers to these questions will pave the road ahead.

2. "Change is good."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Manifest Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is built on "do what you can to make it better" - you are always given the opportunity to work "beyond your title"

Cons

There is a lot of change. Always a lot of change. Is it good or bad? Only time will tell.

Advice to Management

Pick a path, and stick with it.

"Please avoid Manifest. It's a sinking ship."

Current Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time

Pros

I'm literally filling this comment box with place holder text because there are absolutely no pros what so ever. Oh there is indoor plumbing...

Cons

I have never had a job were I'm perpetually sick to my stomach the minute I walk into the door. On a daily basis, I expect to be mistreated and under appreciated by my supposed "boss" and coworkers; yet magically attribute greatness to mediocre-psychologically draining work. The staff is utterly negative, verbally ruthless and absolutely disrespectful to one another and clients'- this is the result of incompetent senior staff who nest their behinds in their seats and pushes the work load to mid-staff and contractors. The backbone of the copy relies of mid to lower tier staff, therefore if you fall in that category expect to overworked and receive no support.

In less than a month, Manifest has lost two major accounts, firing top tier talent left and the few hard-working, remanding staff have brewed into these festering, cut-throat robots, grasping straws to keep their jobs. Imagine how creative one can be at a brand content agency when everyone is so focus on meeting unrealistic deadlines and drowned in sheer unhappiness.

As Manifest ferociously plummets to into ground, Senior staff conduct their pointless jobs of nothingness by not implementing processes or corporate structure. Go figure, you would expect the suppose new CEO to get that already and actually do something to resolve the magnitude of issues.

The place is literally falling apart, I advise you not to apply, to job here. Walk away and look elsewhere, I can guarantee you that this company won't be around very long.

Advice to Management

Go away, revamp your company and change your name. Starting is over is the best solution be stuck. because no one will be familiar with terrible reputation and your unethical practices.

"Content"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with a team of young, hard-working, smart, enterprising people.

Cons

Management seems all over the place without a clear direction in where they want to take the company. As a result, there are a lot more smaller, randomly allocated accounts than large ones.

Advice to Management

Take the time to respect your team

5. "New company, new habits."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Manifest Digital (Less than a year)

Pros

> Trusting and open management (if you're competent and passionate)
    > Unafraid of change - new tools, new resources, new procedures
    > Quick to genuinely recognize hard work
    > Strong, friendly, energetic and supportive culture
    > Great office, perks and tone of work habits
    > Access to leadership (just try, the willingness is there)
    > Service-oriented IT and finance staff
    > Super talented younger staff, knowledgeable mid level staff
    > Fantastic benefits and salary philosophy
    > Ambitious and optimistic new leadership
    > Shrewd (if a bit cold) business moves
    > Strongest creative and strategy staff I've worked with
    > Travel is encouraged when it makes the work better
    > Very few 'dead weight' employees

Cons

> Disparate culture and identity between offices
    > The occasional elitist wonk prone to hyperbole
    > Still feeling out Operations/PM after merging dozens of work streams
    > Not good for people who require folksy coddling or the lazy
    > Tendency to be drawn to candidates with buzzword agencies on CV
    > Had to make some tough calls and cut bait, so some people are still mourning

Advice to Management

Among the fray, don't forget about the power of creative/brand work and the incredible privilege we have in selling smart people smart ideas.

6. "Cutting Edge Work"

Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Manifest Digital (More than a year)

Pros

Grade A clients, awesome works space location in downtown, dev leadership smart and great to work with.

Cons

On some of the projects, requirements changed and the dev team took the hit in meeting very aggressive deadlines. However they were very large scale projects, and that can tend to happen.

Advice to Management

Keep on providing a great culture / environment.

"Don't work here"

Former Employee - Associate Account Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Account Director in New York, NY

I worked at Manifest Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really nice people at what's left of the former McMURRY/TMG
    They tried really hard to make the culture good with happy hours and smoothie bars

Cons

Where do we even begin...
    Constant uncertainty about your job
    No direction from senior management
    No heart at all
    Pompous CEO

"No focus. Crummy CEO."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people have big hearts and want to do great work. The employee ambition is in place. There's opportunities for advancement but it's due to the high turnover.

Cons

The talent is OK. Small pockets of smart people carry the load. The CEO has a really large ego; he's absent. I don't know where we should focus. Do we do Digital, or Print, or Content, or Mobile, or Technology? We're too small to be competent across everything. The answer to my focus question is "This is a priority" without action or leads in place to define what this means. We're too small to be competent across everything, which makes my job painful. Acquisitions are a walking hangover because few people here know what to do after the deal is inked.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction, and deliver on it well. Don't let the CEO interact with employees.

"A Changing Agency"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Manifest Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I came into Manifest to manage a strategic project. A year ago, I would have never worked for this organization, but the leadership convinced me that they are interested in changing the work environment for the better. As I convert to a full-time role, that change will be one of my responsibilities. I have no doubts that this change is desired from the very top. I also have no doubts that it will happen. This change requires active participation.

Cons

There is a lot of uncertainty during change. Manifest is in an acquisition phase, and the design business is rapidly changing. As with many organizations, this can make people anxious. I tend to thrive when the possibilities broaden and responsibilities become less formal. Change brings opportunity.

Advice to Management

I see the negative reviews and feel some anxiousness. I would suggest communicating change from the bottom up. I would suggest letting people help create the environment that they desire. It would also be helpful to make the decisions necessary to promote these changes in a more timely manner. The first rule of change management is to communicate.

10. "Excited For What's To Come"

Current Employee - Missouri in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Missouri in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

> Talented group of individuals across all disciplines
    > Awesome perks and company culture
    > Pay and benefits are competitive
    > Flexible work schedule
    > Work/life balance encouraged
    > Challenging work

Cons

> Vast difference in culture and processes between offices
    > Client variety
    > No internship program for work that may be considered too junior for some

Advice to Management

Transparency with employees through major changes within the organization is a must!