Manpower Reviews in Milwaukee, WI | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Manpower CEO Jonas Prising
Jonas Prising

Pros
Cons
  • You get paid less than other full time employees and dont get pain holidays (in 30 reviews)

• Like other people's comments, the work life balance can at times be difficult (in 14 reviews)

1. "Pays the bills"

Former Contractor - Service Representative I in Franklin, WI
    Former Contractor - Service Representative I in Franklin, WI

I worked at Manpower as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

When hiring through an agency like Manpower, some employers' interview and screening processes aren't quite as rigorous as they would be when hiring direct. There's very little long-term risk involved for the employer, so they can afford to be laid back and have candidates jump through fewer hoops. It was also very nice to get paid every week via direct deposit. And, Manpower has some good, passionate people working in the Client Delivery area of HR, so it was usually easy to get help with any questions or concerns.

Cons

Contractors who are assigned work through Manpower (as opposed to corporate Manpower employees) have only very limited benefits. Any time off was unpaid unless you worked for Manpower more than a year. It was also very difficult to request time off from the client I was working with (a very large insurance company located in Milwaukee/Franklin, WI). My time-off requests for doctor's appointments, vacation, family emergencies, etc were always treated with the lowest priority (preference is always given to their own employees). Often, the request would be denied and they would tell me I had to wait until 1-2 days prior to the requested day off to find out if would be honored. I had to cancel multiple medical appointments because of their lack of cooperation. And planning travel was next to impossible. What made this even more frustrating was that they kept extending my contract for a few months at a time, but never told me when this was happening. I started on an 8-week assignment. I came to work one day thinking it was my second-to-last day there, only to learn by accident that my job had been extended three months. This happened three more times after that. While it sounds like it'd be great to have continuous employment, this exacerbated the challenges with getting time off for personal events. I lived in a constant state of uncertainty and was seldom allowed to plan my life beyond the next 2 or 3 days, but I was expected to be available to them indefinitely. If I wanted to stay with Manpower but get a new assignment, I would have to resign with two weeks notice, then re-apply. And if I wanted to try and get a permanent job with that client, I would have my pay docked for the time I spent in the interview, and I was usually competing with several hundred other applicants. Not all assignments will be like this, but this client in particular clearly uses contractors as a way to avoid paying for benefits for all of its workforce. Ultimately, this scheduling problem is what led to the end of my assignment. I needed time off for major life events and they couldn't cooperate.

Advice to Management

Although most Client Delivery reps were excellent, I worked with one whose interpersonal skills needed a lot of work. He was ineffectual, slow to respond to inquiries, and sometimes seemed to be annoyed when I asked for his help - as if I was keeping him from something else that was more important. He did not seem happy in his job and unfortunately, the associates who were his subordinates were the ones that suffered.

2. "Field technician"

Former Employee - Field Quality Technician in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Field Quality Technician in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Manpower (More than a year)

Pros

Responsable, accessible, Responsible, communicative, honest

Cons

No job security, low job offerings, low salary

3. "Temp"

Current Employee - Temp in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Temp in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Manpower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They can always find you a job.
    Income, possible health insurance.

Cons

At best they seem to pay 11.25 an hour.
    Most of their jobs are in the manufacturing and cleaning fields.

Advice to Management

You're not bad, maybe get office jobs too on a more frequent basis. You are not a bad company.

5. "Churn and burn"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Manpower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

looks good on resume, other than that forget it

Cons

very political - lots of sr management infighting

Advice to Management

grow up

6. "manpower associate care center is the worst."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

nice, friendly co-workers.
    manpower as a company is great.
    but this department is the worst

Cons

-As soon as manageemnt sees you frienfly with your co-workers/cube neighbors they move you promoting a hostile work environment.
    -Overworks and under pays their employees. I literally left with a migraine every single day. The micro managing is horrendous and the environment is draining.
    -Focus more on your employees mental well being than your metrics, clients, and management. You'll get better results that way. That place is like prison.
    -management are not trained professionals with poor leadership and people skills.
    -Favoritism is a HUGE factor in this department.
    -Narcissistic management has caused a high turnover in employees.
    -abuse of power is a factor.

Advice to Management

management needs a full make over

"Decent company, doesn't care much for their employees"

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Manpower full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They give you more of a cut than other staffing agencies

Cons

No communication between Manpower and temps

Advice to Management

Connect more with your recruitments and know who they are

8. "Machine operator"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Manpower (More than a year)

Pros

Tryst to help you find a job.

Cons

The pay for the jobs they have is really low.

9. "Staffing Specialist"

Current Employee - Staffing Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

benefits, recruiting experience, team environment, very few if any weekends required

Cons

out-dated technology both phone & computer systems which are the main tools of the trade

10. "Constant restructuring- Potential Employee's Beware!!!"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Manpower full-time

Pros

NONE. Used to be a great place to work. Great people, benefits, quality of life etc.

Cons

Company has been restructuring last 4 years with each year a change in direction and management. Manpower is aggressively downsizing through leadership's intense micromanagement and cut backs on field staff. It seem like each week we are notified of someone resigning. Company is unstable to say the least. I would advise anyone to think twice and do their homework being working for Manpower.

Advice to Management

Your losing good one's g along with the underperformers.

"Used to be good"

Current Employee - Staffing Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Manpower (More than 3 years)

Pros

When management is on then everything goes well. Benefits are ok as well.

Cons

Upper management has no care in your daily struggles. Company will not listen and does not take it's employees concerns seriously.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees and what they are telling you. They know the job market because they are staring it in the face everyday trying to recruit people.

Showing 90 of 1,585 reviews