Manulife Reviews in Canada | Glassdoor

Manulife CEO Roy Gori
Roy Gori

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Shifting employee culture"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Strategist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Strategist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent workplace flexibility. Very inclusive and diverse environment. Having a good manager makes all the difference. The new CEO is quite inspiring and and talks about balancing the needs of employees with shareholders and end customers. In the past, everything has been about shareholder value, so this shift to improving employee engagement is refreshing.

The culture changes from team to team, so if you have a good manager, it's a great place to work.

Cons

Pay is generally below scale. If you want a raise, you need to leave the company for a year and then come back, so it feels that loyalty is penalized.

There are some lazy and ineffective managers who seem overvalued at the expense of very talented, hard working individual contributors. My former manager lost 90% of his staff to competitors in less than 3 months because they couldn't stand his management style. It was shocking when he was promoted to director despite having extremely low employee satisfaction scores and high turnover.

Advice to Management

Stop protecting bad managers. Start doing exit interviews when people leave. The good managers are wonderful.

Jan 17, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate the time you took to write you review, and offer suggestions for improvement. We are happy to know that you are enjoying your experience with us!

"Human Resources"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Manulife full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I benefited from moving around during my tenure, effectively having 3 different roles during that time. I also had the opportunity to work on high profile initiatives and projects that were instrumental in my learning and development, and gave me great exposure.

I loved the global model - the opportunity to work and partner with employees all over the world was extremely interesting and rewarding.

I was surrounded by really sharp talent from whom I also learned a lot. For the most part I had some great leaders who were invested in me and were great sponsors.

Incredible workplace flexibility program. Well compensated for the role I did.

Cons

For all the opportunity the company presents, it does come at a cost - namely balance. It is an aggressive company culture. Over the time I worked there, I went from working a fairly manageable 40-45 hour workweek to when I left, easily working 60+ hour weeks regularly. It was not sustainable, even with the flexibility to work whenever from wherever. It became fairly discouraging when despite all that effort and all the hours worked, I was managing to just keep the lights on. This was one of the main reasons I left. And ultimately I felt that my efforts were not recognized from a performance perspective....that simply became the new normal or the new benchmark by which I was measured.

Significant change environment which I actually enjoyed, however at times it was too much. They needed to let people breath and actually get comfortable with their revised roles or new processes before changing again.

While being part of a global team was great, the early morning and late night conference calls became too frequent and a bit much.

Advice to Management

The change of CEOs was long overdue to here is hoping the new one can really change parts of the culture and drive the company forward in an innovative and engaging way.

Jan 12, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate the time you took to write your review and share your valuable feedback. We're happy to know that you enjoyed your experience with us!

"Best experience"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Development opportunities
    Team that has a family feel, who's incredibly passionate about their jobs and motivated to help their colleagues succeed by helping and sharing knowledge
    Flexibility in terms of tasks catered to interests and work location
    Recognition and rewards
    $10,000 coverage towards mental health and wellness per year
    Parking
    Desire/ability to adapt and stay relevant

Cons

Cafeteria - prices (regularly pay upward of $15-$20 for a salad), lines that can take around 20 mins to get through at peak time but I've also waiting around 10 mins multiple times to pay when no one is there because only the person officially on cash can cash me out (cross train?), non-dairy options are non existent since I bought the last expired soy milk a few months ago - I wish I liked black coffee, soups are salty and made with tap water (chlorinated hard water) or the tomato paste isn't diluted and you get a spoonful, Charge extra for the veggie options (stirfry or wraps) - Next time I will get the chicken wrap but ask them to hold the chicken aha Does not seem to align with our partnership with Participaction or with Vitality.

Advice to Management

Continue "starting with why" when cascading information
    Find a new vendor for the cafeteria.

Jan 4, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for writing a review and offering suggestions for improvement. We are happy to know that you are enjoying your experience with us!

"Manulife"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay, good work life balance

Cons

terrible mid-level management doesn't know what they are doing

Jan 19, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your review. We are sorry to hear you are not having a great experience with us. If you would like to discuss further, please contact us at TalentAcquisition@manulife.com.

5. "old ideas, red tape, and inertia"

Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Manulife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- 15 vacation days of right off the bat

Cons

- very, very stingy with benefits and other perks
    - lots of red tape
    - very behind technologically
    - management is slow and drives a lot of decisions based on ego

Advice to Management

Get rid of the old blood!

Jan 17, 2018 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're sorry to hear you did not have a great experience with us. If you would like to discuss further, please contact us at TalentAcquisition@manulife.com.

6. "One of the best"

Current Employee - Junior Underwriter in Quebec, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Junior Underwriter in Quebec, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits: Work from home full-time, pension employer contribution, good health benefits, discounts for life insurance and Manulife Bank services, solid training, great co-workers and managers, good/fair salaries.

Also, plenty of opportunities to grow inside the company. I started at the bottom in customer service just to get inside and after a few months I was already in a much better position.

Overall great work life balance, supportive managers/colleagues, positive environment and working from home is the best thing.

Cons

Health insurance benefits could be better considering it’s an insurance company.
    Also if you start as a contract employee, you don’t have any benefits until you become permanent.

Dec 18, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback. We are happy to know that you are enjoying your experience with us!

7. "Open arms for students/new grads in Technology division"

Former Intern - Technology Summer Student in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Intern - Technology Summer Student in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Manulife as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

- Great management
    - Inclusive culture
    - Great pay for students

Cons

- Bureaucratic and slow moving
    - Generally sleepy culture

"Consumer Markets is a growing department..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership from the top down and employee engagement has grown over the past few years. As well, there is great upside with career development. There are plenty of job opportunities within the department and individuals are rewarded for going above and beyond. The focus is customer obsessed and this attitude resonates with all team members. With the removal of negative personalities who lack integrity the current workforce is performing at a high level. When you have personnel, who are professional and passionate about the business it only adds to the positive culture already established in Consumer Markets. The vision is clear and promising.

Cons

Technology and software issues are a constant battle. Recently, huge strides have been made on this topic.

Dec 1, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We are happy to hear about your positive experience with us! Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

"A job at Manulife is a crapshoot... Not all divisions/teams created equally"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Manulife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some teams fully embody the collaborative and supportive culture - I have had the pleasure to work collaboratively with some great people at Manulife.
    Work/Life balance through flexibility & mobility - they understand you can be highly productive and still work from home.

Cons

This statement is not true for all teams: "... Collaborating with great colleagues in an inclusive and supportive environment". Some have been promoted to people leader positions that don't have the proper skills - having great project management skills don't automatically make good people leaders.

HR services not truly supportive of ALL employees - they blindly support all managers, even the ones that aren't doing a good job.

Senior management totally lacks transparency.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to what employees are saying about their managers.

Dec 18, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. If you would like to discuss with us further about your experience, please contact us at TalentAcquisition@manulife.com.

10. "Group Benefits"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I worked at Manulife as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

not a good place to work

Cons

feels like you're in high school

Advice to Management

get new management