Manulife Reviews in Canada | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Manulife President and CEO Donald Guloien
Donald Guloien

Pros
Cons
  • Crazy hours no work life balance at all (in 17 reviews)

• senior management not very transparent, never really get the full message (in 23 reviews)

1. "Market leader with many cultures"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on where you are can be excellent or time to move on
    Professional and loyal workforce that work hard when given the chance
    Powerful position in market and can turn things around quick with this team if management makes some good decisions
    Great international. Opportunities
    Can move jobs internal every year
    Good pension

Cons

No clear sharing of top 5 projects for each area so staff rarely know what is fighting for resources
    Low interest rates used as ongoing reason to keep costs down but employees have been hearing this for 8 years and it is wearing thin
    Project management needs to take courses and practice real pm work using agile teams. Year long waterfall is a joke and waste of money. Don't even use work breakdowns
    Need real training on process management using Sipoc and raci basics

Advice to Management

Little things make a big difference, invest in small morale boosters, including Staff associations
    Reward and don't only recognize loyalty beyond putting names on a slide, clapping at a meeting and a rare gift card

Jun 22, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your positive feedback and for offering suggestions for areas of improvement. We value the opinion of our employees and this information will help us deliver on our goals. If you wish ... More

2. "Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company with a great culture and friendly and professional employees.

Cons

Work life balance isn't the best.

Jun 19, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We are excited to hear that you had a great experience with us! Employee experience is important to us, so thank you for this valuable feedback.

3. "Project Coordinator"

Former Intern - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Intern - Project Coordinator in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Manulife as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Working environment! Very friendly co-workers, in my role they were very friendly and helpful, and always there to ask questions.

Cons

None really. They were excellent, lots of amenities on campus, always available for feedback when required. Very good communication between offices.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! I had an excellent time working for Manulife Financial and I would strongly recommend them to anyone considering applying to Manulife.

4. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Coordinator in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Coordinator in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Manulife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home is pretty cool

Cons

Limited access to other departements

Advice to Management

Don't squeeze out too much from your employees

Jun 7, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you sharing your feedback! We recognize that our organization is comprised of talented individuals and are happy to hear that you value your experience with us.

5. "Subculture is a double-edge sword"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In a good subculture led by great leaders (middle management), it's easy to find yourself enjoying the daily work. Great benefits. Good work-life balance.

Cons

The subculture is very susceptible to middle management changes and the environment/subculture you love can easily be disrupted as a result. That'd turn a dream job to hell rather quickly. All the common big-corp culture/management issues are present. Lack of a top-down visionary attitude towards technology and design.

Advice to Management

Pay extra attention to the middle management crisis. Continue the push for a design-affording culture.

Jun 7, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share this review! We appreciate this type of feedback from our employees.

6. "Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice People
    Good Salary
    International Company : opportunity to work in all continents.
    Good job 9 to 5, ability to work from home.

Cons

The company has a complicated structure. It is hard to understand the role of all every body in the org chart.

Advice to Management

Clean up the company structures. Clean up useless products and focus on new/existing products that will make the company successful.

Jun 7, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing this review. We constantly strive for the best employee experience, and we are happy to hear that’s what you are receiving.

7. "Project Manager Intern"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Manulife (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly and encouraging work culture, provides opportunities for individual growth, recognizes employee performance, and gives back to the community.

Cons

Technology can be improved and work may not be too exciting (dependent on team).

May 15, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

8. "Business system analyst"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Positive and friendly working environment

Cons

Old technology and methodology

May 15, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing a review. We certainly take pride in what we do and are happy to hear that you are having a great experience with us!

9. "financial planner"

Current Employee - Financial Planner in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Planner in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

pretty good work life balance

Cons

long hours some days comission based

May 22, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you sharing your positive feedback with us, as well as suggestions for areas of improvement. We are committed to top employee experience and this information will help us honor that ... More

"Great place! BUT promote solely on paper and not character."

Former Employee - Group Benefits Customer Service Representative in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I worked at Manulife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits with the chance to select what's best for you, pride in company, etc.

Despite the cons I loved the company, but not cheating on you stats won't get you very far.

Cons

Worked at the Group Benefits sector. Like any other big company decisions for promotions or special assignments are made by people who have never met you, so they end up hiring people who are putting up numbers, but not really looking into how they got there.

For example: They have promoted people to Plan Administrator positions who show very fast Average Call Handling but don't bother to see why, lot of the current staff in that position obtained those numbers by rushing callers or transferring to another department where it wasn't needed.

A Plan Administrator was recently promoted to that position in the last few months in the Kitchener office and no one could believe it, since she is always angry and upset and actually relays that to the members. Now everyone there thinks the company doesn't actually bother listening to calls or actually wonder if their attitude is a right fit, all they care about is who can show results on paper and stats.

Because of the high volumes they expect out of people, the workload tends to be so high you need to work overtime constantly to keep up.

Advice to Management

I loved this company despite the fact all these, because the truth is, everything else the company thrived in.

As far as your customer care roles PLEASE stop firing and letting go of amazing agents with great attitudes simply because they're late a few times, or because they aren't meeting Average Handle Times by 30 seconds, THOSE are the agents actually providing the top notch customer service.

Your current practices tell people that you care more about being fast than being effective. 320 seconds is disgustingly low. Start showing you care about resolving problems, not volumes.

May 1, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you sharing your feedback and are happy to hear that you value your experience with us. Thank you for also sharing suggestions for improvement. We welcome the opportunity to learn more ... More