Manulife Reviews | Glassdoor

Manulife Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • They don't try to work with the employees to assist with their work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Manual processes in silos; certain senior management members are aggressive and confrontational to lower ranking staffs (in 19 reviews)

"A horrific company to work for!!!!"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There were no pros! Forced overtime was common. Poor pay was part of the environment. Management gets moved around so frequently that they do not have time to learn the business area that they are managing. Do not expect a reward for being loyal to the company!

Cons

The company was on the verge of economic collapse in the 2008 crisis and I do not believe that they have cleaned house and restructured to the point where they can withstand the next economic shock.

Advice to Management

Replacing Don Guloien would be the best first step in getting talented management. Do you really think that he should be running such a company only having a high school diploma? Come on!

Manulife Response

Dec 5, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Marketing Analyst

This statement includes a factual inaccuracy. Donald Guloien earned a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Toronto.

2. "LTD Case Manager"

Former Employee - LTD Case Manager in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - LTD Case Manager in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I worked at Manulife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My colleagues and team were wonderful.

Cons

This place is an absolute joke. While you're in training supervisors and management are your best friends and everyone is cheering you on. Then (if you manage to stick out the 8 week training program, which some don't) you're brought up to the floor and put through your paces. One day you're doing an amazing job, the next you're completely incompetent. Literally this place has less than a 50% employee retention for their Case Managers. They (management) keeps telling people its because of the nature of the job - no, its because you treat your staff like they are totally disposable. People around me indicated that things would "get better with time" or noted that their job reduced them to tears more days than not for the first 6 months of their employment. There is something inherently wrong with this, and absolutely zero accountability. Don't bother with HR because they will side with management as well. A complete and utter waste of time.

Advice to Management

Every employee (not just your favourites) are people too. They should be treated with dignity and respect. Upper management needs to hold middle management accountable. Instead of shrugging it off as a tough job you may want to step back and re evaluate why intelligent, articulate people are fleeing this job like the building is on fire.

"software engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Manulife full-time

Pros

Work from home benefits and 29 days annual leave.

Cons

1. HR a bit disorganised. First day of work, there was no PC allocated to me because they forgot I am coming in. (How awesome).
    2. No allowance whatsover. Just basic salary alone.
    3. Mid shift from 1pm to 10 pm. Expect to extend work till 12 am and no overtime payment.
    4. Very quite environment.

Advice to Management

Spend more on HR activities. Perhaps a welcoming breakfast for new hires with managers from all dept.

5. "Worst experience ever ..I was a Manager Kitchener in Pensions Area"

Pros

A lot of employees had worked all their life for Manulife. Many lifers. But only if you fit in with the high level of politics.

Cons

Vice President and Directors were allowed to break code of conduct and company rules ...if it suited them. Head of pensions did not submit OSFI documents because he wanted to sneak off to his cottage Friday at noon. No accountability for those in power. They then blame underlings for issues they cause.

Management were not objective in evaluating staff performance. Some racist leaders. They downgraded excellent employees and elevated wasters. I was a Manager trying to bring fresh independent evaluations to the group. Senior management took exception to my independent opinion if my best employees.

The entire pensions group was corrupt right from the top dog back then.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone from manager and above and replace them with ethical individuals that don't play political games.

"Lousy Products"

Former Employee - Financial Planner in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Financial Planner in Singapore (Singapore)

Pros

Work-life balance (for sure since you are ultimately self-employed)

Cons

Manulife Singapore was only active starting around 2010 or so. By the time I left in 2013, their products were still rubbish compared to the competition, and I think the company knows it. But it barely does anything to resolve that. Products don't seem good even till today, although there is a little bit of improvement here and there.

Advice to Management

Win the competition; or exit the market.

7. "Arrogant hr team, I hate their system"

Pros

I dont like anything they suck big time

Cons

They suck big time. They should close down

Advice to Management

I have no advice cause they suck

8. "Shady place of employment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I worked at Manulife (Less than a year)

Pros

some good people there if it wasn't out weighed by those who are there that like to set up people up for failure.

Cons

The don't want subject matter experts and they certainly don't want you if you don't have an university degree regardless of your work experience. If you find a role you like they will try to get you to change that role after 2 years.

Advice to Management

none as I will never work there again.

9. "Manulife WAS the best company to work for....."

Current Employee - Sales in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great co-workers, and Pension/Benefits great.

Cons

Last year they announced structure changes- (common for large companies)
    They rolled out a new sales platform (which is actually a great platform) however for such a large company they don't have any of it ready....except the compensation model
    We are targeted on meeting unreasonable goals the month its rolled out even though some are impossible due to head office not having the tools in place to meet those goals. In some cases some of these tools are not even approved. We are told to meet these targets regardless... How can a company roll out a platform and hold employees to meet targets when the tools to do it are missing. Of course they did not adjust our income to reflect its impossible to meet targets in that environment so we are set up for failure. We were asked to pick a position in the "new environment" without consideration to compensation.....i wonder if the recent leader chose his job under the same duress. I highly doubt he would have taken a job with Manulife based on the unknown on how to support his family.
    For many of us, our financial obligations (such as mortgages/LOC with Manulife) we qualified on based on the income we had. Manulife would be the first to hold us accountable to keep those payments up even though through no fault of our own we are being set up for failure.
    Leadership promised us transparency and to trust them A commitment was made that no one would loose there job over the restructure, which has already proven false. A commitment was made for transparency, however this is yet to be seen.
    Management is telling everyone-dont like it leave- moral is at an all time low. We are stepping out of the gate knowing the goals are unachievable, and with the knowledge that Leadership has no value on employees at all. Ultimately, at least this first year it will be few if any that are financially not affected. If the bank were caring about the sales force it would have given us a ramp up of at least 3 months to build on this new structure. With the lack of tools that are in place and the simple fact that the roll out was not ready , it is unanimously felt the bank should have cared for the staff instead of expecting robots to nod. They have told the retail lending specialist that they should be able to do there work from home, and taken away compensation accordingly- although they are not set up for us to do this, meaning we have no choice but at our own cost to run around meeting clients with no thought to how we can even afford gas to do this on the new structure (all we are saying is if you take away pay for meeting clients, have the TOOLS ready to do so)

Advice to Management

We are people that love what we do and many of us were here to build the bank to where it is today, as all employees we need to feel valued- which at this time Leadership you have failed at. When you roll out a new structure- Roll it out when its ready. Do not lie- when you say there will be no one loosing a job over the structure - hold to that. And last- provide provisions for the launch of a new program to ensure your staff are in a position to succeed on every level - TOOLS need to be available to meet targets.

10. "CSR"

I worked at Manulife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training was thorough and tests were given on the material learned almost daily. Training lasted nearly six weeks.

Cons

Nothing can prepare you for the actual job. It is all based on speed and accuracy. Forget customer satisfaction and spending time with distraught people just wanting answers why claims are denied. Forget empathy. Follow one rule. Less than 2 minutes or pack your bags your out the door. Not worth your time and effort. Manulife is a company that uses temp agencies so they can let you go in an instant. Don't bother applying.

Advice to Management

The software provide is unstable and outdated. If you know how to work on a Commodore 64 you will be fine. Otherwise everything crashes on a regular basis. The senior staff tell you they are there for you and smile at you. Not true. If you ask too many questions pack up and go home.

"Customer service professional"

I worked at Manulife full-time

Pros

Good benefits and pension

Cons

Very negative atmosphere, they constantly hire and fire agents . Management picks favourites. Way too many problems coming from the employees in the Phillipines!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the offices in Manilla !