Manulife Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance isn't the best (in 21 reviews)

• Manual processes in silos; certain senior management members are aggressive and confrontational to lower ranking staffs (in 24 reviews)

"Totally disorganized, unplanned with a terrible culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Manulife full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Share purchase plan is decent.

Cons

Terrible culture. Individualistic versus team work. Hierarchical. Alpha personalities. People seem to be miserable working there. Especially out of Montreal and Toronto.

Advice to Management

Find a culture that helps people work together. Your employees are not happy and are not having fun. You can be successful and enjoy working for a company. See Sun Life.

2. "Shady place of employment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I worked at Manulife (Less than a year)

Pros

some good people there if it wasn't out weighed by those who are there that like to set up people up for failure.

Cons

The don't want subject matter experts and they certainly don't want you if you don't have an university degree regardless of your work experience. If you find a role you like they will try to get you to change that role after 2 years.

Advice to Management

none as I will never work there again.

3. "Manulife WAS the best company to work for....."

Current Employee - Sales in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great co-workers, and Pension/Benefits great.

Cons

Last year they announced structure changes- (common for large companies)
    They rolled out a new sales platform (which is actually a great platform) however for such a large company they don't have any of it ready....except the compensation model
    We are targeted on meeting unreasonable goals the month its rolled out even though some are impossible due to head office not having the tools in place to meet those goals. In some cases some of these tools are not even approved. We are told to meet these targets regardless... How can a company roll out a platform and hold employees to meet targets when the tools to do it are missing. Of course they did not adjust our income to reflect its impossible to meet targets in that environment so we are set up for failure. We were asked to pick a position in the "new environment" without consideration to compensation.....i wonder if the recent leader chose his job under the same duress. I highly doubt he would have taken a job with Manulife based on the unknown on how to support his family.
    For many of us, our financial obligations (such as mortgages/LOC with Manulife) we qualified on based on the income we had. Manulife would be the first to hold us accountable to keep those payments up even though through no fault of our own we are being set up for failure.
    Leadership promised us transparency and to trust them A commitment was made that no one would loose there job over the restructure, which has already proven false. A commitment was made for transparency, however this is yet to be seen.
    Management is telling everyone-dont like it leave- moral is at an all time low. We are stepping out of the gate knowing the goals are unachievable, and with the knowledge that Leadership has no value on employees at all. Ultimately, at least this first year it will be few if any that are financially not affected. If the bank were caring about the sales force it would have given us a ramp up of at least 3 months to build on this new structure. With the lack of tools that are in place and the simple fact that the roll out was not ready , it is unanimously felt the bank should have cared for the staff instead of expecting robots to nod. They have told the retail lending specialist that they should be able to do there work from home, and taken away compensation accordingly- although they are not set up for us to do this, meaning we have no choice but at our own cost to run around meeting clients with no thought to how we can even afford gas to do this on the new structure (all we are saying is if you take away pay for meeting clients, have the TOOLS ready to do so)

Advice to Management

We are people that love what we do and many of us were here to build the bank to where it is today, as all employees we need to feel valued- which at this time Leadership you have failed at. When you roll out a new structure- Roll it out when its ready. Do not lie- when you say there will be no one loosing a job over the structure - hold to that. And last- provide provisions for the launch of a new program to ensure your staff are in a position to succeed on every level - TOOLS need to be available to meet targets.

4. "Poorly Managed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time

Pros

Flexible work from home
    Good location for commuting

Cons

Poor Management
    High Turnover for employees and consultants
    Managers are hiring managers (so much turnover that they are constantly hiring)
    No focus on employee growth and retention

Advice to Management

Clean house

5. "CSR"

I worked at Manulife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training was thorough and tests were given on the material learned almost daily. Training lasted nearly six weeks.

Cons

Nothing can prepare you for the actual job. It is all based on speed and accuracy. Forget customer satisfaction and spending time with distraught people just wanting answers why claims are denied. Forget empathy. Follow one rule. Less than 2 minutes or pack your bags your out the door. Not worth your time and effort. Manulife is a company that uses temp agencies so they can let you go in an instant. Don't bother applying.

Advice to Management

The software provide is unstable and outdated. If you know how to work on a Commodore 64 you will be fine. Otherwise everything crashes on a regular basis. The senior staff tell you they are there for you and smile at you. Not true. If you ask too many questions pack up and go home.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Ontario in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Ontario in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife full-time

Pros

Work from home, great people

Cons

Poor management, Too much restructuring

"Customer service professional"

I worked at Manulife full-time

Pros

Good benefits and pension

Cons

Very negative atmosphere, they constantly hire and fire agents . Management picks favourites. Way too many problems coming from the employees in the Phillipines!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the offices in Manilla !

"Don't trust them"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Pros

I have nothing good about this company

Cons

They will offer you good salary and then 2 weeks before you join the will withdraw your job offer saying project cancelled.

Since you have already resigned from your current organization, now you are jobless

This is Manulife

Advice to Management

Don't play with peoples career

Manulife Response

Jul 18, 2016 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Your feedback is important to us as we look to provide a positive candidate experience to all throughout the selection and hiring process. Please contact us at TalentAcquisition@manulife.com.

"Manulife salary"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Good work life balance with work at home

Cons

Exec level looks after themselves and treats staff like dirt. No accountability at management level.

Advice to Management

Retire and let someone with fresh minds and ideas run the place. Stop stabbing people in the back.

10. "Case Manager"

I worked at Manulife full-time

Pros

Large, stable company. Option of work from home. Decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Atrocious training. Condescending. Incompetent. Unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Invest in proper training