Manulife Reviews | Glassdoor

Manulife Reviews

Updated April 28, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • They don't try to work with the employees to assist with their work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Manual processes in silos; certain senior management members are aggressive and confrontational to lower ranking staffs (in 20 reviews)

"IT area"

I have been working at Manulife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly great people to deal with, nice management, never micromanage, great work flexibility, a few exciting project, wonderful benefits, four weeks vacation to start. Paid training if you ask for it.

Cons

Published pay range is pathetic, base salary below market, ridiculous HR policy that either you get promoted or eventually dragged to mid of the range, an annual increase ~1% won't encourage your employee's moral. Watch out to not to trap into a failing project due to resource issue then got the blame for excuse to cut bonus. Need to remain high alert on what you say what you promise to safe guard yourself, extremely political when it comes to cross team initiatives. Make you think that it is better not to take a risky task for your own good.

Advice to Management

Pay your employee better, your CEO is among the top 10 paid executives among the whole country, employee need to live a life too! Or you will get what you are paying for they will drag their feet!!

Apr 7, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your positive feedback and for offering suggestions for areas of improvement. We value the opinion of our employees and this information will help us deliver on our goals. If you wish ... More

2. "Aaa"

I have been working at Manulife full-time

Pros

Good with actuarial exam support

Cons

poor management, minimal support from above

Apr 28, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We would welcome the opportunity to learn more about your experience. If you would like to discuss further, please contact us at TalentAcquisition@manulife.com

3. "SFA"

Former Employee - SFA
    Former Employee - SFA

Pros

good company,beautiful office, professional coworkers

Cons

Crazy hours no work life balance at all

Apr 28, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

5. "Company with great culture"

I have been working at Manulife full-time

Pros

Bosses are good. No annoying office politic.

Cons

Work is not very challenging

Advice to Management

Keep up the good culture

Apr 12, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you sharing your feedback! We recognize that our organization is comprised of talented individuals and are happy to hear that you value your experience with us.

6. "Employee"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Manulife (More than a year)

Pros

Good Company Good Benefits. Good work place flexibility and good work life balance. Worked for along time and love the company.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of.

Apr 12, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing a review. We certainly take pride in what we do and are happy to hear that you are having a great experience with us!

7. "Investment Operations"

Pros

Great company, good pay and benefits

Cons

work environment in department is a bit tense

Advice to Management

focus more on employee development

Apr 12, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you sharing your positive feedback with us, as well as suggestions for areas of improvement, thank you!

8. "Actuarial Associate"

Pros

Good actuarial development program
    Competitive salary

Cons

Limited roles, constant organizational changes

Apr 25, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your review. We are constantly striving to improve and optimize the experience employees have with us and this feedback can only help us deliver on this commitment.

"Potential as a good employer but on thin ice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Manulife full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of work to be done in this company so there should be many openings available shortly.

Cons

Upper management takes advantage of good employees and rewards lesser deserving ones. Regrettably You do see the same trend in a lot of
    Major corporations. If you are lucky you will end with one of the more professional managers. If not, you will work unpaid overtime, be subjected to psychological games and increased amounts of stress and a loss of importance or purpose can be felt.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees with more care. I will not name the department but I know the team has been and is still subjected to awful treatment resulting in many leaves of absence due to high stress and depression. As a corporation you may think your employees are just numbers and expendable but I have seen you lose some really good talent in the past six months alone which is unfortunate because I believe this could someday be a good company to form a career with.

Apr 19, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience with us and would welcome the opportunity to learn more about your experience so we can look into ... More

"AVP"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Manulife (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to global capabilities and opportunities. Diversity is valued. Canadian recognition in corporate environment

Cons

Silos dominate organization and culture. Work life balance is poor. Constant head count reduction has placed unrealistic responsibilities on staff.

Advice to Management

Focus on future sources if growth especially wealth management. Divest old segments to improve balance sheet. Improve worklife balance and compensation.

Apr 25, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing a review on your experience. As we constantly strive to improve and optimize the candidate experience, we would welcome the opportunity to learn more from you at ... More

11. "Training Specialist"

Pros

Progressive and allows for room for advancement

Cons

Business goals vs valuing people

Advice to Management

Focus on valuing people and they will work to support the business goals.

Apr 25, 2017 – Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing a review as well as areas of improvement. We certainly take pride in what we do and are happy to hear that you are having a great experience with us!