Manulife "senior management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Manulife Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated Nov 21, 2019

3.6
Manulife CEO Roy  Gori
Roy Gori
Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours sometimes and transactions must be completed within the day(in 43 reviews)

• "Senior management come off as very fabricated people(in 38 reviews)

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Great Place for Young Actuaries"

Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Manulife full-time for more than a year

Pros

Big organization with a lot of Actuarial roles. Very nice Senior Management in Actuarial teams that can teach you a lot Work is visible and promotions can be quick and is becoming more merit-based. Nnice study days for exams, good work-life balance, and ability to work remotely later. Great place to train and become an experienced actuary.

Cons

Recent CEO change has brought a lot of re-organization, so you need to be adaptive. However, the focus of new management is good.

Advice to Management

Need to invest more into advertisement and recruitment to attract young actuarial talents.

Manulife2019-02-24

"Contracted security for John Hancock Manulife asset management"

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Manulife full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Field of service manage and coordinate an entire building lobby entrance man at post directing and securing who belongs in the building threw badge access, making sure no incidents occur in the inner city of back bays rush. Work hours are flexible senior management are a help they are supportive and nice to keep the motivation going.

Cons

no heath benefits no 401k no counseling in case of an active shooter did come threw the entrance of my lobby. no training protocols if such an incident was to occur. no briefing or no guidelines on what procedures to take action. no paid time off no meetings get together to get everyone in the field acquainted with one another.

Advice to Management

more team briefings and involvement on what's going on daily work basis will have the shift all in a jump start pace in a more secure environment where everyone belongings to get the ball rolling .

Manulife2017-01-13

"Manager"

I worked at Manulife full-time

Pros

Good work life balance. I worked for eight years and I cannot think of many pros of working with manulife.

Cons

Cronyism. Politics. Incompetent senior management. Promotion based on you being part of the “club” or not.

Manulife2019-02-02

"Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Manulife full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generous bonuses, beautiful office space

Cons

Unclear direction from senior management.

Manulife2018-11-19

"Great career; company that walks the talk"

I have been working at Manulife

Pros

Senior management committed to evolving our company to compete in the digital age by becoming more customer-centric. Opportunities to gain strong experience, growth, and company mobility for those who can drive and implement change.

Cons

Resistance to change at the company, while shrinking, is real. Can be frustrating for those that are on board and slows down our progress.

Advice to Management

Stay the course - we are on the right path. Consider honing our priorities so that what we need to achieve is clear to all.

Manulife2016-09-29
  6. "Valuation Intern"

I worked at Manulife

Pros

Final project, learn a lot, work with Senior Management

Cons

Software was one of the problem I encountered. It took a while to produce some data and run numbers since the server was very full.

Manulife2016-05-31
  7. "Property Manager"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Manulife full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Local senior management very supportive

Cons

National Senior leadership, inconsistent with future development plans

Manulife2012-08-08
  8. "Decent place to work."

Assistant Vice President & Actuary in Boston, MA

I have been working at Manulife

Pros

Interesting work. Lots of opportunities to see different things.

Cons

Senior management in my Division Love "Yes men".

Advice to Management

I don't agree with the philosophy of giving people the work and then promoting them after a year. If you are willing to give someone the work and responsibility, then give them the promotion at the same time.

Manulife2010-11-27

"Stable but unexciting place to work for."

Software Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Manulife

Pros

Stable company -- seems to withstand bad economic times better than peers. The company's risk aversion makes it somewhat of an unexciting place to work for, but contributes to the sense of stability.

Cons

Typical downsides of working for a large corporation -- it often feels that your work doesn't make a difference. The corporate hierarchy is 8-10 levels deep, so a common worker feels very detached from senior management.

Advice to Management

I have every reason to believe that our senior management is highly capable,

Manulife2008-11-26
  10. "General review on IT in Manulife"

Former Employee - Associate Full Stack Developer in Waterloo, ON

I worked at Manulife full-time for less than a year

Pros

Faced paced approach to moving to new tech Senior management is surely talented

Cons

Office space is too less. Shared workplace culture. You sit wherever you find a place. Not a good cost cutting measure. Work life balance depends on project to project and the delivery date Design System is still updating which leads to deferred development Illogical cost cutting like shutting down the cloud env after work hours and on weekends. Promotions very hard to get on merit rather than years of exp.... Benefits are ok but very deceiving at times and are manipulative. Too much stress on core values. Agile is very new to them and the employees.

Advice to Management

Seats need to be assigned to people. So they know exactly where to go in the morning without the fear of not finding a seat and then improvising Too much stress on core values.

Manulife2019-11-21