MapMyFitness Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 1, 2017

Found 28 reviews

3.4
Robin Thurston
  1. "If you're awesome, it's awesome"

Current Employee - Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- mission driven company with a focus on improving human health through connected fitness - CEO and management team with incredible passion and vision for global digital/mobile leadership - incredible growth on every front, revenue, talent, brand profile, athletes, teams and assets - world class proven digital leadership and talent via acquisition of 3 of the top health/fitness category app leaders

Cons

- with rapid growth comes change, uncertainty, and a need to be able to "go with the flow" at times - working here will likely force you to grow your career, and growing generally happens outside our comfort zones: you will be uncomfortable at times. Just like fitness. Your teammates will pick you up.

Advice to Management

Identify the people who have the passion to fulfill on this mission and make sure they can advance quickly to rise to their potential.

MapMyFitness2015-09-16
    • "Amazing Workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at MapMyFitness

Pros

Cutting edge technology merging sport & fitness with passion for technology and the bleeding edge tech of technology.

Cons

Project teams can be split across the main development centers in Austin, TX and Denver, CO however great culture of remote collaboration so this is minimized.

MapMyFitness2015-03-01
    • "There is no better place on the planet to work if you want to help people around the world achieve their fitness goals"

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time

Pros

Best team of people I've ever worked with on the most amazing product I've ever built. The list of benefits are too long to list them all but there are some good ones including $500 fitness reimbursement for anything fitness related per year.

Cons

Sometimes things are moving so fast that some details get missed but that is the tricky part about working for startups.

Advice to Management

Over communicate the good stuff!

MapMyFitness2013-05-13
    • "One of the coolest little companies on the planet"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ Great team where everyone seems to be down for the mission + Company makes a product that actually makes the world a better place + If you are a runner or cyclist, you will not find a better fit... I promise. + Python! + Casual work environment + Weekly office runs and rides + On-site showers + $500 fitness credit each year + 100% company-paid insurance + Free parking downtown (killer office location at 6th...

Cons

- Hours can sometimes be long around releases - Still a little start-up crazy... everyone wears multiple hats - You will go into culture shock for sure if you are coming from a large company

Advice to Management

- Need to hire more people!

MapMyFitness2013-05-07
    • "A real, actual high growth startup with great energy and great people."

Current Employee - Various in Denver, CO

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A startup that is growing faster than 99.9% of consumer internet/mobile startups A top 100 app among millions Positively impact the lives of tens of millions of users by helping them get fit An extremely cool team to work with

Cons

The fast pace may not be a good environment for people who desire a high amount of structure.

MapMyFitness2013-05-06
    • "Fun coworkers, interesting technical challenges, growing usage and revenue"

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

MapMyFitness is the best group of coworkers I've worked with in my career. We're building products for a market that's white hot. Real usage is growing, presenting interesting technical challenges, and growing revenue.

Cons

I really have nothing critical to say about the company. It's a fantastic place to work as a software developer.

Advice to Management

Keep crushing it.

• "Fascinating Company"

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Top 10 Health Apps in iTunes & Android - Big Data (4 workouts / seconds and 15M Users) - Fun (Tues Team Rides, Wed Runs, Arrested Development Fridays, Open space / indoor basketball court, xbox connect competitions, ping pong tables) - Neat Perks ($$ for Fitness Gear, Great Health & Dental, Flex Time, etc.) - Great team of people that love what they do because of their passions

Cons

Some people have a hard time adjusting when their passions don't align with health & fitness (running, cycling, etc.), helping others become happy and active, or solving great engineering and technical challenges (You don't have to love fitness -- you just have to really love your job and want to thrive). We're a 'Can-Do' work place and the people who end up leaving generally are those that can't don't fall in love...

Advice to Management

Bring back Demo Fridays where the entire company kicked back and watched new product presentations over beer

MapMyFitness2013-05-06
    • "An amazing company built by amazing people!"

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time

Pros

$500 for fitness apparel/gym membership/ski pass/you pick. CEO is a true visionary and an amazing person - he really cares about his employees and I consider myself lucky to work alongside him. MapMyFitness (as a brand) is something that I personally believe in, and I'm grateful that I'm to work for a company where I can seamlessly marry my skill set and my passion for being active.

Cons

Still in a bit of a startup mode, everyone tends to wear a lot of hats. If you're someone who likes to take the ball and run with it, you'll do really well here! If you simply want to punch the clock, it's might not be the best fit.

MapMyFitness2013-04-06
    • "Fun, creative and collaborative company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in

I worked at MapMyFitness full-time for more than a year

Pros

MapMyFitness has a great web and mobile platform. The company has a fun energetic vibe from the top management down. I loved the creativity and openness of management to new ideas. One of favorite jobs in my career so far!

Cons

You are expected to put 110% into every day on the job! Sometimes that can filter over into working late or working on projects over the weekend, but they really strive to respect your work life/balance.

MapMyFitness2012-12-04
    • "Overall good"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at MapMyFitness full-time

Pros

They have a very laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Still going through growing pains

Advice to Management

Think before doing

MapMyFitness2016-06-15