MapMyFitness Reviews | Glassdoor

MapMyFitness Reviews

Updated May 1, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "One of the coolest little companies on the planet"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Great team where everyone seems to be down for the mission
    + Company makes a product that actually makes the world a better place
    + If you are a runner or cyclist, you will not find a better fit... I promise.
    + Python!
    + Casual work environment
    + Weekly office runs and rides
    + On-site showers
    + $500 fitness credit each year
    + 100% company-paid insurance
    + Free parking downtown (killer office location at 6th and Rio Grande)
    + Free beer
    + Free snacks (including fresh fruit)
    + Insane amount of candy
    + Spontaneous ping pong tourneys

Cons

- Hours can sometimes be long around releases
    - Still a little start-up crazy... everyone wears multiple hats
    - You will go into culture shock for sure if you are coming from a large company

Advice to Management

- Need to hire more people!

2. "Fascinating Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Top 10 Health Apps in iTunes & Android
    - Big Data (4 workouts / seconds and 15M Users)
    - Fun (Tues Team Rides, Wed Runs, Arrested Development Fridays, Open space / indoor basketball court, xbox connect competitions, ping pong tables)
    - Neat Perks ($$ for Fitness Gear, Great Health & Dental, Flex Time, etc.)
    - Great team of people that love what they do because of their passions

Cons

Some people have a hard time adjusting when their passions don't align with health & fitness (running, cycling, etc.), helping others become happy and active, or solving great engineering and technical challenges (You don't have to love fitness -- you just have to really love your job and want to thrive). We're a 'Can-Do' work place and the people who end up leaving generally are those that can't don't fall in love with our environment.

Advice to Management

Bring back Demo Fridays where the entire company kicked back and watched new product presentations over beer

3. "A real, actual high growth startup with great energy and great people."

Current Employee - Various in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Various in Denver, CO

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A startup that is growing faster than 99.9% of consumer internet/mobile startups
    A top 100 app among millions
    Positively impact the lives of tens of millions of users by helping them get fit
    An extremely cool team to work with

Cons

The fast pace may not be a good environment for people who desire a high amount of structure.

4. "Cool App. Unsecured Company. (Layoffs)"

Former Employee - - in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - - in Denver, CO

I worked at MapMyFitness full-time

Pros

Cool Mobile App. Use to love to Ride

Cons

in the last 4 months, MapMyFitness has had some layoffs. Not a very secured company to work for.

Advice to Management

CEO is very disrespectful.

"Cool Product. But not the best company to work for. I've worked at better start ups."

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Denver, CO

I worked at MapMyFitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Mobile and Web platform. Product is going in a good direction. Decent compensation.

Cons

Culture wasn't the greatest for a designer. Development driven company. Designers and UX Designers had a difficult time trying to communicate to the dev, product teams and stakeholders. So basically, no creative or collaboration with the designers.

When I first started, the biggest turn over were the developers. Up until Mid 2012, the biggest turn over have been the designers.

As a designer, there is no room for growth. I would suggest if you are a JR Designer, you have the opportunity to grow. Senior Level Designers, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

The company did require 110% everyday (which is fine), but work/life balance was an issue at first when I started. That all changed when a new CEO was brought on board the summer of 2011. As of Sept 2012, that CEO has moved on.

Overall, difficult place to work if you are a designer.

Advice to Management

Over all, there are some decent senior managers and VPs. I would recommend chilling on the egos, way to much of that. Overall a bunch of good people. The Board should look into the overall Senior Management team and VPs. Some members of that team were really disrespectful to other employees. Starting from the top.

6. "Good Company/Good People"

Pros

MMF was a great place to work. I was out of a different location so I didn't get to experience the office environment, but from what I experienced, the people were great-comprised mostly of young people that work hard/play hard.

Cons

Growing pains: Company went through a few restructurings while I was there...typical start-up environment-hire too fast, too many layers of management, etc. I'm sure it's evened out now.

7. "Great smart people, lack of management objectives."

I worked at MapMyFitness full-time

Pros

An office full of really smart engineers and an understanding for moving tech stacks with the industry.

Cons

Lack of vision or clearly defined obtainable roadmap. Upper management issues.

"Great Mission, Amazing Potential but Unprofessional, Muddled & Weak Management"

I worked at MapMyFitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

UACF/MapMyFitness will continue to evolve from a powerhouse to a behemoth in the wearables and health and fitness data space. I am confident they will globally dominate with the latest acquisitions and the release of UA Record. The mission and vision is clear and innovative-Make the everyday athlete a better version of themselves and UACF is well on their way!

Cons

Management is very top heavy and very isolated from one another. Too many cooks in the kitchen that have been cobbled together from different acquisitions. They have their owns camps they want to protect their own key players, not always the house.

Management style, for a certain faction, is rooted in unrealistic expectations, lingering threats, management inexperience, unprofessional discriminatory speech/behavior, and false sincerity for one’s professional success. Management finds this type of behavior acceptable as it's "Hardcore" "Intense" "Winning" and "Competitive" as one would be on a professional sports team.

Team members' hard work, efforts, relationships and traction were not valued but were given to other “protected” and tenured underperformers as others were bullied out of the company.

"Good, not great"

I have been working at MapMyFitness full-time

Pros

Good job, stable outlook with perhaps room to grow within UA.

Cons

Management is weak and hasn't been replaced by UA yet. Integration with other teams is painful

Advice to Management

My only advice is to senior management at UA who should be reviewing the dead weight management they inherited here.

"great potential but..."

I worked at MapMyFitness (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and a company that encouraged people to use and be champions of their products. My personal work/life balance was outstanding and fitness was encouraged. Lots of smart, good people with great Denver and Austin office environments. Purchased by Under Armour which provided great discounts on products.

Cons

From my experience it was a very much "ME" environment with very little collaboration. There was very little "team" effort and where there was, it felt forced. Management was VERY hands off, which can be both good and bad- in this case it's bad. They didn't provide much help but were very quick to point fingers and place blame if things went sideways. Not much room for meaningful growth within the company and I saw cases of resentment when some tried to move around. Like another reviewer, I also did not receive an exit interview and fully agree with the comments about it being a "boy's club". Several of the Senior Managers and C-Level leaders I met were exceptionally arrogant- not confident, arrogant. I would not recommend a friend to work in the division I did, but can't say what the experience would be like elsewhere in the company.

Advice to Management

You're the 800lb Gorilla in the Connected Health space but that doesn't afford the company (any company, for that matter) to operate with the air of superiority that it has (had?). Be humble. The product is great and speaks for itself. Management needs (needed?) to do a much better job of recognizing talent and helping it grow.