MapR Data Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
MapR Data Technologies CEO John Schroeder
John Schroeder

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The product is really a game changer in Big Data spaces" (in 17 reviews)

• "Great and successful product while good work-life balance" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Company Culture lost in the management swap out" (in 5 reviews)

• "However, management is very open to flex hours which makes work/life balance possible" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hyderabad (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hyderabad (India)

I worked at MapR Data Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Great product
    2. Really nice and helpful people
    3. Good exposure across the company
    4. Very good culture
    5. Everyone gets a fair share of development, design problems and customer cases which gives wholistic understanding of the product

Cons

Need to grow the team to stay ahead.

2. "Great company, great technology, great people"

I have been working at MapR Data Technologies full-time

Pros

The culture and office environment make it very enjoyable to go to work everyday. Not to mention, the compensation is very good. Finally, the company has very innovative technology.

Cons

I will admit that with innovation brings challenge, the technology is hard to learn. Finally, similar to all small/start up type companies, there are a lot of changes.

3. "Great company"

I have been working at MapR Data Technologies full-time

Pros

Leading technology that is cutting edge.

Cons

Very technical and complex product which the business user has a hard time understanding.

4. "Bleeding edge technology, driven by customer focus! Great people to work with - very high density of talent!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at MapR Data Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Meal credit, Chair massages, fun events, happy hours etc
    2. Generous HSA contribution
    3. Some of the smartest engineers
    4. Massive market opportunity
    5. Unparalleled technology experience
    6. Executive team focused on the right objectives
    7. Refreshing companywide transparency

Cons

Engineering management has room to improve - understand the pulse of the employees, causing talent erosion. Enable them to do the best work of their lives without worrying about incentive.

Advice to Management

1. Stay laser-focused on the execution
    2. Retain your best engineers, stop with the needless pep-talk, give tangible incentives
    3. C-team, continue the excellent communication

5. "The hidden momentum"

Current Employee - Engineering in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at MapR Data Technologies full-time

Pros

- Great technology and challenging work.
    - Happy to read on internal forums how the product is differentiated and competition is still far behind
    - Increased transparency of late. Sharing the good and the bad makes me feel part of the story writing.
    - New logos continue to be big names within their industry.

Cons

Management downplaying importance of cash flow for employees. Local market is hot and opportunities abound with more immediate cash-gratification.

Advice to Management

You are asking employees to hunker down and do more. But need to compensate relative to market.

"The Gift Wrap Can Be Deceiving"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at MapR Data Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

The interview process was fantastic! The recruiting team orchestrated a seamless process and implemented extra touches to make the candidates feel welcome and appreciated. The time from first contact to offer letter was fast, and communication by the hiring manager was great until the first day.

Employees are given flexibility with their schedules. Many people drive in from the East Bay and North Bay and often work from home, so work life balance can be a real bonus for employees, depending on their position in the company.

Many employees have young children and often during holidays and school breaks you can find kids in the office. It's nice to have employers who welcome children during these times, as it makes employees feel appreciated for their efforts to not interrupt their production but at the same time take care of family.

Free lunch used to be provided in the break area when we were in San Jose. We now receive a lunch card that gives us funds to be used in the shared cafeteria in our building. Funds are added to our card twice per month, and any funds not used in that two week period are lost. This system is fair and works out well. In addition to lunch we are supplied with all of the drink varieties and snack options imaginable from yogurt, fresh fruit, cheese, carrots, and nuts to chips, health bars and beef jerky. The drawback to all of this is that many employees have claimed to gain weight from never taking time out of the office during the day.

Free massages are available to employees weekly. There are limited openings, so it's hard to get scheduled; however, HR has been rotating the openings to different groups each week to help solve that dilemma.

Other perks include: monthly birthday celebrations, good full health benefit packages, an EAP Care program, legal services, monthly gym and cell phone service reimbursement, 401K (although not matching,) reasonable salaries in the industry, an enormous amount of equity for some positions (although right now not likely to be worth anything since the company seems to no longer be heading toward going public,) and the option to work from home.

There are very smart employees here (many at the line level and some at the leadership level) who care about the company and want to see it succeed; however, they don't feel like leadership cares about or appreciates them.

Cons

Day 1 of employment and the onboarding experience were less than desirable. There wasn't anything special on the first day that made me feel like I was a part of the team. Since lunch is free to all employees and everyone races downstairs to get in line just shy of noon, I was left at my desk and no one bothered to invite me to a conversation. A lot of employees eat at their desk. This makes it very difficult to fit in here and get to know people, as I'm naturally shy in introducing myself to others.

Regarding bonuses and equity: Leadership is compensated well, especially those who seem to be longtime friends of the Founder, most of whom come from Oracle. All roles in the company are not viewed as important to the business yet they are all expected to "sell." As a result, not everyone is awarded with a fair bonus or equity increase. It seems the lower your salary the lower your bonus percentage. It does not make one want to work hard and remain loyal and dedicated. We all pay a high cost of living in Silicon Valley. Be fair when distributing bonuses. How would you feel if the shoes were on your feet?

When I first joined the company all of the executive leaders were based in other states in spite of headquarters being in Silicon Valley. Imagine the communication in that scenario - between executives and down the chain! When leaders were in town they hid in offices and only communicated with one another. It was very much like a club. The demographics of the company is very obvious to the eye and from department to department. At the leadership level, they are all men of a particular race and age with many of them having a long friendship and history together. It's the first company I've worked at where the age group is skewed to the older generation. There isn't a healthy balance across all age groups, genders and cultural backgrounds. Leadership lacks female representation, and ideas from women are often ignored. They are not proactively involved in meeting with the customer and leading key projects.

In December just before the holidays, we had a Town Hall meeting and were told that morning that everyone (close to 200 people locally) had two days to pack all of their items in the office to move to a new location that would be disclosed that afternoon. There was no forewarning for employees to internalize their new commute and how it might potentially impact their family life. Those who were traveling or on vacation at the time of the notice had to have their possessions packed by a coworker. This was the most disorganized and costly move I've ever experienced, and it's clear the executive in charge of this had other priorities. This should never have been managed by someone working in another state.

On Day 1 in the new building, employees were scrambling to figure out where their desk was set up and how to connect everything all while trying to notify external guests of an address change for meetings that week, host visitors, scrambling to reserve a conference room (which was not yet set up in Outlook because we didn't have names for them and didn't know what furniture or audio/visual equipment was in them nor did we know how many people the rooms could accommodate.

In January, the board made drastic changes to the leadership team, letting the CEO go along with his strategy partner. The founder returned as CEO, and everyone was excited at first. Many employees shared how great the company was when he was at the helm, and since the previous leadership model clearly wasn't working this seemed like the right change for the company. Just before our sales kickoff they let more executive go and had a small RIF.

The communication surrounding their actions wasn't frequent enough or consistent with leadership's behavior, and this is what makes it difficult for employees to believe what is said. Morale is terrible, and leadership isn't actively walking the halls to engage with and motivate employees. There are sections of the building that are completely empty of people and visible to customers and partners visiting the office. There are departments who work from home often, and always on Fridays. It's very difficult to feel motivated to come into the office with this type of environment.

Advice to Management

Start taking some action to solicit employees' opinions and ideas on how to improve morale. Recruit more HR employees to demonstrate how important people are to your company. Involve them in soliciting ideas from employees on building a team spirit and being active in our community.
    Be humble and open to criticism and accept your part (bad and good) in the culture of the company. Spend time getting to know your employees on a personal level. Hold your meetings in conference rooms that require you to walk past and engage with employees you don't normally interact with. Involve employees, who wouldn't ordinarily engage with a customer, in those meetings so they can gain empathy for the customer and understand how they contribute to MapR's vision.

7. "Lots to learn, lots to do!"

I have been working at MapR Data Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots to learn about a field that will be relevant for a long time to come
    Remote work available for some positions
    Good benefits (great for local people)
    Global, diverse environment
    Fast-paced environment
    Good communication from executive level, after CEO change in 2018

Cons

Fast-paced environment (good, and bad!)
    Priorities can change quickly
    401(k) available, but no match

"Stalled. Now 2 RIFs this year."

I have been working at MapR Data Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

It is a good technology in the big data space trying its best to be something special. Strong learning opportunities.

Cons

Depend heavily on existing customers. Struggling to find an angle to move forward. Messaging often does not resonate with new prospects.

9. "May 2018"

Current Employee - Build and Release Engineer
    Current Employee - Build and Release Engineer

I have been working at MapR Data Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You may have a chance to touch all sorts of hot new technologies. This company has an above-average chance of giving you some much needed keywords on your resume. You will get opportunities to see multiple variants of full Big Data software stacks, and compare their strengths and weaknesses.

Both the CEO and the customers are technical people who dislike excessive marketing BS. The product is used by the Devs and IT groups of other companies, so customer bug reports are much easier to read. The customers make buy-or-reject decisions according to highly-technical standards.

Cons

OPEN OFFICE ENVIRONMENT with no environmental noise cancellation. This will drive a lot of people insane, and may even cause physical harm due to stress from the environment.

Nearly all process is improvised, everyone is in "immediate" mode where things are done on a basis of who can grab who at any moment. This is despite the fact that it is an enterprise software company that is supposed to produce reliable and stable software.

If word gets around that you are competent, then everyone will immediately try to pull you into everything. The top talent seems to inevitably leave, sooner or later. It's one of those kinds of environments.

Advice to Management

Understand how counterproductive the open office environment is for 60% of workers. This has been demonstrated by multiple scientific studies.

Get a better idea of HOW everything is done - besides just the lists of who was involved in various efforts. Get a better idea of the maintenance costs of various efforts after they are "done".

"Cautiously Optimistic, but concerned we'll blow a big market opportunity because of lack of crisp execution."

I have been working at MapR Data Technologies full-time

Pros

-Technology is unquestionably enterprise-grade and has proven to deliver real value to our customers
    -Flexible and low-key work environment
    -The people are genuinely nice people; no A-holes here
    -Change in CEO was abrupt and for all the right reasons; former CEO Matt Mills and his trusted team stalled out momentum and led us down the wrong path

Cons

-for a start-up, we move far too slowly and don't take enough risks. Not bold enough.
    -still trying to determine career path and development, if any
    -Compensation package is really starting to slip behind the market. Losing good talent that’s preventable.

Advice to Management

-Sorry to be blunt, but my perspective is the executive team (rolling up to CEO) are past their respective primes. For their extensive aggregate experience, and it’s impressive, they have become far too cautious in their ideas, creativity, and most importantly risk-taking. What worked in the 90’s and early 2000’s isn’t working today, and their strategies are dated.
    -If data is the new "oil", then we need to refine that for MapR's competitive advantage. Practice what we preach and make data our religion, starting from the top down. (sorry to mix metaphors).
    -Celebrate customers and their business successes more. Too much focus on the technology and the bits &bytes. Our customers are key assets to the health of our business and should be front &center.