Maplin Electronics Reviews in London, UK | Glassdoor

London, UK Area (UK)

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Johnathan Cleland

Pros
  • Descent pay descent job descent banter it was alright I guess and the staff discount is good on some things (in 18 reviews)

• The discount is good and thats it (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Paid minimum wage or pennies over (in 29 reviews)

• Head office would rather get store staff to do the marketing departments job with no extra pay than use the people they are paying g to do it (in 9 reviews)

1. "Good, but further organisation needed."

Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good working relationships with other Managers.
    Decent staff discount, especially on sale items.
    Some long standing employees who know the business inside out.

Cons

Poor work / life balance.
    Too many tasks to be completed daily.
    Constant WhatsApp messages from Senior Management.
    Weekly conference calls telling you how bad you're all doing.
    No security in stores - you have to double up as a security guard.
    Poor pay. Especially for normal sales advisors. Some realise this, and just don't care.
    Systems are completely out of date. Poor quality CCTV in store, which they refuse to replace.

Advice to Management

Look after your managers more. Make sure they have proper training, and not a simple printout which other managers use as a ticking exercise. Pay the staff better wages, or you'll get people who just don't care about the company. Shouldering everything on yourself because of these issues just increases stress for Store Managers. Update your systems. They're so out of date, it's a joke within the company. Work / life balance is extremely poor. Constantly working from home with no access to the systems at work because you have no time to do so during the day.

2. "Ok"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team members, usually always something to do.

Cons

Unfortunately as it is retail, -low pay.

3. "Friendly team, approachable management, overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- A lively and challenging, yet rewarding, environment
    - 25% staff discount
    - Schemes to allow you to train to increase your level with the company

Cons

Rota tends to change a lot. Difficult to get all hours to match your needs. However, easily resolved with a chat with your store manager.

5. "Sales Team Leader"

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in London, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I went in for this job because I really like their product range and my main goal was to get to know more about their extended range, and also to be in a leadership role for the first time in my career. What I really liked that Maplin pride themselves to be very customer focused, target driven and presentation was always very clean, and it was very rewarding when the hard work is pulled off well.

Cons

However, in my experience, I was always felt that I wasn't welcomed by the team, and never accepted me as a leader in training. I got to work in 2 stores in London,the first store didn't have the time to train me so they move me to a quieter store. And in both stores I wasn't respected by the teams and they never cared to support me in my training, although I did try to persevere with a positive attitude to get along with everyone.
    Their training was very brief, which lead to falling behind and making mistakes, and like I mentioned, the teams never really cared, even when i was asking many questions.
    The final con for me was even before starting the job, I was promised in writing a good wage of £9.40ph, but was I was given was £8.10ph. I did mention this to a store manager, and got no comment. Also wrote to the regional manager via email and got no reply.

Advice to Management

I really struggled in my time with Maplin, and it would have been nice to have a manager who was willing to listen to my concerns. I did feel I wasn't welcomed by the team, and the store manager should have spotted that and should have put things right with me and the team so we could work together and move forward.

6. "You will get paid more working at McDonalds if you're a student"

Former Contractor - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- The managers at the store were very friendly. A lot of the colleagues were friendly too but a few seemed quite... hostile?

- Banter with colleagues was lit

- You're able to learn a bit about technology

- Some friendly customers

- A nice feeling when you help out a customer?

- Staff genuinely want to help customers and engage with them constantly.

Cons

- There's no actual proper training which seems to be a widespread thing across stores. I was given a booklet on health and safety and was told to read through it although in the paper it said that the manager was supposed to go through it with me. She never did.

- It was advertised as a permanent position but after telling me I was successful, the manager then said that it is a temporary position instead.

- On the application form, they asked what salary you'd require. However, the stores don't actually consider it at all and the pay actually goes along the lines of this for Outer London at least.
    16-17: £4.20/hr
    18-20: £5.10/hr

After this there's a big jump to around £7/hr+ but I can't remember the specific wages that well.

- They also paid me these Outer London wages even though the store was located in Camden (Inner London). Not sure if the manager did this on purpose to save money or she genuinely thought that Camden was outer London. Inner London wages were generally 30p more than Outer London.

- For an electronics retailer you'd expect their system to be modern but it's extremely outdated. As someone who has worked at Currys in the past, it felt quite regressive for me to use their EPOS system. It feels like the whole company needs a good upgrade.

I wouldn't recommend this job to students whatsoever. You'll genuinely be paid more working at McDonalds and probably be doing more than walking around an empty store repeatedly for 8 hours.

Advice to Management

You need to do better in terms of training and wages.

"Boring work long shift"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Streatham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Streatham, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics (Less than a year)

Pros

The team are quite welcoming and kind. The managers are not bad.

Cons

Long shifts with minimal breaks just stand around for the whole day with nothing to do barely any customers to attend to quite displeaserable

Advice to Management

Try and give the team to be more enthusiastic and motivated

8. "Unwelcome, unwanted, unappreciated"

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Orpington, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Orpington, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always nice customers, higher management always visiting store and talking to employees like real people.

Cons

Salary on all levels. No sense of team, felt Unwelcome from day 1. Outdated epos system, disorganised store management. No allowance for holiday, unrealistic targets, store management don't care about their staff. No training, no bonus unless you are store manager. Don't care about customers needs just upsell to the most expensive item; need CCTV? don't buy the perfectly good AHD kit for £199.99 buy the digital 1080p one instead for £599.99! It does exactly the same job, its just £400 more expensive, that doesn't include install!

Advice to Management

Take some interest in your staff, update your till systems and sort out store organisation.

"not great"

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Camden Town, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Camden Town, England (UK)

I worked at Maplin Electronics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

not much , i guess pay was good , location and i liked electronics so relatable to me at least.

Cons

bad managment , not allowed to even go for toilets , pushing customers to make sales encouraged leading to bad service

Advice to Management

less pressure on sales and more emphasis on staff satisfaction. allow for more staff as 2 members for busy periods isnt enough

"Over management and outside hires"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pays money and gives sales experience.

Cons

Constantly micro-managed by the Store Manager, Assistant Manager and Sales Team Leader. Yes I get it, I still need to finish the warehouse, you can all top telling me that while I serve customers.

Told to handle yourself in a certain way at all times, there is no "man, "dude" or "mate". Only Sir and ma'am. Its annoying.

The way everything is set up is very confusing and lacks basic organisation as it was all set up very haphazardly and makes learning the ropes difficult.

My Assistant manager knows less about the business than me due to being an outside hire despite the fact that we have plenty of people who could be feasibly promoted.

Advice to Management

Stop outside hiring for management positions. Give people some freedom.

11. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Maplin Electronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly team to work
    Gain good experience in retail

Cons

Not organised company
    No training ( no standardised and organised training)