Marathon Oil Reviews | Glassdoor

Marathon Oil Reviews

Updated May 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • The new management does not value works done by geo-scientists (in 7 reviews)

• Middle management is poor, very much yes-men (in 5 reviews)

1. "Jenis review of marathon oil"

Former Employee - Cashier in Fennville, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Fennville, MI

I worked at Marathon Oil (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to have flexible hours and my employer was very easy to work for. Enjoyed working with and meeting all types of people.

Cons

Had to work late sometimes but it added money to the paycheck. Also had to count cans and I didn't really enjoy that.

Advice to Management

Hire personable people.

"Good E&P"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great shale assets in US

Cons

Company needs offshore exploration success

"Once A Great Company - Now Major Identity Crisis"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

9-80 Flex Schedule (2 days/month off) on top of vacation days
    Compensation is good compared to other industries
    Mostly flexible with leaving early or coming in late (but have been called out for taking days off I had scheduled months in advance)
    Smart coworkers

Cons

Top Talent is leaving by the day, only a few superb upper manager left
    Executives are pompous, overly compensated and average intelligence at best - the problem is our CEO didn't pick the CFO so the CFO thinks he reports to Board and not the CEO
    Management say we want to save costs, yet build a $1.5MM meeting/hangout floor that is a google wanna be. Recently found out they upgraded an existing floor to "make it look like another floor" employees where coming from
    Unwilling to be flexible when it comes to operations, not risk taking and will not adopt most optimal well completion designs
    Middle management is poor, very much yes-men
    I can never seem to use all the time off given, work load is getting more and more and work-life balance is getting worse
    Very rigid policies and personnel make it impossible to be nimble
    Pay for E&P is average at best, low salary, average bonus and stock options
    Benefits (medical) is getting absurdly expensive, last year it increased over 40%!
    Had roughly 35% laid off in last 18 months and not sure if there are more to come or not
    Development and training is non existent

Advice to Management

Why provide advice - they won't listen...But if you really want advice, need to stop thinking MRO is the best place to work and wake up, people are miserable - and if don't think 60% of the company will leave when oil hits $70 you are in for a surprise.

You need to truly step into someone else's shoes and understand their concern - have a suggestion box and actually address all of the concerns

Stop wasting money on stupid a&$ stuff like floor 29....I haven't heard one person say "wow - cool" every single person has said "this is nice but why did we spend $1.5MM on this when we just laid off so many good people"

"Ghost of a good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Marathon Oil (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits & compensation, flexible 9/80 schedule for Houston. High focus on employee and contractor safety. Good people (well, formerly - most are gone now). This company used to have a great family atmosphere and happy employees - not so much anymore.

Cons

Marathon had been known for being a company with a family-feel to it. It used to be obvious that the employees were its greatest asset. However, with management changes, the entire feel and culture of the company has changed, and employees no longer feel valued. Many of the people who made this company what it is were let go or pushed into retirement. I understand the economic woes of the industry right now, but things were changing even before the downturn. Also, far too many times I have seen qualified employees passed over for positions and "favorites" moving up the ranks.

Advice to Management

Don't forget your employees! Happy employees are productive employees. No one thrives in an atmosphere of secrecy and mistrust. Be upfront with employees. Remember what made this company great to work for.

"Geoscientist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Good pay and benefits package. 9/80 Flex schedule is nice. Most recent manager was outstanding and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

High stress environment, constantly having to jump through hoops to prove value/worth to the company. Currently no growth opportunities for geosciences. Strong disconnect between culture experienced as intern and culture experienced as full-time employee.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people/company culture. Company seems to be on life support and searching for an identity. While times are tough, can't hurt to try and boost company morale. Let people know their work amounts to much more than just a job - or job security in these uncertain times.

7. "Account Payable"

Former Employee - Name of Supervisor Amanda Connors in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Name of Supervisor Amanda Connors in Houston, TX

I worked at Marathon Oil (Less than a year)

Pros

My best reasons to work with Marathon was they were using GAAP roles and using SAP software beside that they had a friendly environment

Cons

one of the downsides working with Marathon was most of the time I was working over time staying in the office tell 7:00 pm

8. "Good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Good benefits. Flex hours, high pay. Manage your own time.

Cons

Less room for growth, bad time in industry.

Advice to Management

none

9. "Decent company"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work and life balance.
    Fair compensation.
    Fairly small - easy to know everyone.

Cons

Lack of interesting projects to work on.

"A mixed bag"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, flex hours, great employees

Cons

Lack of strategic vision and understanding how to position MRO for future... HR is pretty terrible....Too much trying to please the Wall Street (their wish list changes all the time), this results in a short-term plan and all these knee-jerk reactions... CFO has too much influence on our strategy, does he understand how value is created in this industry? Very doubtful judging by some of the late decisions.

The exploration department god gutted, how are we supposed to find and put new projects in the pipeline?

Advice to Management

Understand what MRO is good at and how to create LONG-TERM VALUE in this business. Shale is important but is expensive to produce and uncertain -- it will not be your competitive advantage!

11. "Lead Operator"

Current Employee - Lead Operator in Sweeny, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Operator in Sweeny, TX

Pros

The company pays very well.

Cons

WORK IS LOCATED IN south Texas.