Marathon Oil Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Middle management is poor, very much yes-men (in 5 reviews)

• We are still in the process of evolving to how an Independent E&P should look and act (in 4 reviews)

"Management burning bridges"

Current Employee - Accounting Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance, fairly low stress environment, great benefits, competitive pay

Cons

C-suite management is killing this company. I get that the oil price environment is harsh right now and they are trying to best position the company to survive this downturn, but they are going about it in a way that is completely opaque and morale destroying. Employees are like zombies walking the halls these days just waiting for the axe to drop on the next round of layoffs. No attempt is made to promote any kind of company culture, and backstabbing in the name of rankings is unofficially encouraged.

"Computer Geoscientist"

Former Employee - - Computer Geoscientist in Jersey Village, Harris, TX
    Former Employee - - Computer Geoscientist in Jersey Village, Harris, TX

I worked at Marathon Oil (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ample time off, friendly employees. Many of the workers have extensive knowledge which they gladly share. It's more about your fellow workers, than the job .

Cons

They've slashed training and currently have a less than pleasant work environment. It use to be one of the best places to work, but no longer.

Advice to Management

Communicate honestly and openly. Stop telling the employees on thing and a few weeks doing just the opposite. Learn to be a leader and stop managing .

"Stock - Performance Incentive"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Competitive pay; front line managers understand operations

Cons

Stock performance seems to be driven down any time C level management attends conference/investor call.

"SCADA Technician"

Former Employee - SCADA Technician in Cody, WY
    Former Employee - SCADA Technician in Cody, WY

I worked at Marathon Oil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, job training, compensation, retirement.

Cons

Work load, change, management, make you feel small.

"We have been told the direction, now make a choice so the rest of us can get back to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As an employee I hear about the negative posts on Glassdoor. And I get it. The industry is in a downturn, we have had workforce reductions (which in a culture that has never dealt with poor performers isn't easy), and we are trying to form relationships and trust with new executives. All that said, yeah things are challenging. But the recent posts about not knowing the company direction is absolute nonsense.

Cons

We are still in the process of evolving to how an Independent E&P should look and act. That takes a review of everything we do, sometimes long hours, and learning to do more with less. Yet with all that said, most of us don't miss too many flex days.

Advice to Management

My advice to colleagues:
    If you aren't happy and don't believe in the direction, leave.
    If you are nervous about the future and still don't understand the company direction, do your part and find the information you are searching. The truth is out there (cue The Ex Files music).

"Its not what it once was"

Former Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX

I worked at Marathon Oil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company had at one time a lot of good people, but sadly most have been laid off, forced retired, or resigned even in this bad market. Many were laid off only because their skills were mismanaged and they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. The day they laid me off management sent around an email saying that they had just extended offers to a couple of recent interns? I found this to be extremely insensitive and tacky. Sad thing is they hired geology interns to start as geo-technicians. I honestly don't have any other good things to say about it other than it is centrally located in the Galleria. There would need to be a serious turn around in management for me to ever consider going back.

Cons

Even in these volatile times, management is spending money in very odd ways. For instance, Laying off over half of there geo staff and cutting spending in exploration but continuing to pay for the exuberent Friday night fireworks show at the Astros games, or a brand new internal webpage, or Impact 20/20. This last thing was a meeting that took place over a weekend for supervisors and other employees that have been held on a pedestal. All invited were made to stay at a hotel downtown, even if they lived nearby.

"Accountant - Company in transition"

Current Employee - Advanced Accounting Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Advanced Accounting Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance, and constant accounting projects changing your daily routines. Accounting lost about 25% of the workforce in the recent layoffs (Feb 2015).

Cons

Very limited international opportunity, executive management doesnt seem to have a plan for the future to counteract the low oil prices. Lots of buzz words used, but have no real meaning to anything.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to the analyst and only doing things to boost your pay.

"On edge"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I initially hired on less than 10 years ago and liked the culture. The benefits were better than they were at my previous job

Cons

Waiting for the the axe to fall again is beginning to take its toll on the workforce. Rumors are the only information being communicated.

Advice to Management

Reverse course

"Hard Times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marathon Oil full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly work environment, great co-workers, great benefits

Cons

Lack of vision for where the company is going, feels like a mini Exxon

Advice to Management

Be more transparent on your vision for where you want this company to go. Make sure your employees know what it means to reach that goal.

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Marathon Oil full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance, Quality/Knowledge of G&G staff, Most of remaining people are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Favorites are still evident.. we know who you are..

New HR has basically alienated the worker bees from management. Just look at how many MOC people are now on Linkedin.

- Forced Ranking system (ok... new management calls it relative ranking)

Advice to Management

Lets face it. Cazalot left a mess by making a poor decision to split the company. After that several exploration VP's have failed in their jobs to build a global exploration portfolio. A couple of good domestic assets remaining. But the anchor around their neck is going to be decommissioning the UK fields.. I suggest u look for another company to buy you out...