Marcel Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcel Digital as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Marcel Digital was my first real experience in the marketing industry. I walked out of this internship having learned much more than I ever anticipated. I got to experience all different parts of the company and saw marketing from so many different angles. All the employees are great and truly cared that I was getting what I wanted out of the internship. The environment is very fun and the CEO and all employees are very nice, personable and passionate about what they do. I cannot say many bad things about my experience at Marcel Digital, I really enjoyed being apart of this team.

Cons

There were a few times where I was left with not much to do because it is not your typical internship program, but I honestly would not change anything about it.

2. "Boutique Agency Life"

Former Employee - Digital Strategist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Digital Strategist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcel Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative team environment and solid open door policy
    Good company wide knowledge sharing including industry updates, tool certification, and company updates and wins.
    Good opportunity to develop and put into action new ideas and methodologies
    Goals and expectations managed through weekly progress checks and month, quarterly, year goals so everyone is on the same page
    Friday Beer o'clock ping bong and bags tournaments were a great way to release the stress of the week
    Location is in the city near public transit and after-work meet up spots

Cons

A little loud at times, but that's agency life
    Small opportunity for upward movement on the ladder

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate the value of solid basics before coming up with the shiny new thing.
    Increase base line level training in various tools to shorten learning curve
    Try for more structure and collaboration between manager and employee to determine long and short term goals

3. "Great place to start out!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcel Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great people, close knit, smart
    -Learn all aspects of Digital Marketing
    -Fun environment
    -Interesting mix of clients and projects
    -Great place to start out in digital marketing/agency life
    -The president Ben is a wonderful leader who cares about his employees.

Cons

-Very talented group of people, could be a much larger agency than where it is at.

Advice to Management

People will stick around if they think they can grow with the company in the long run. Need a sales team. It's the only way you'll grow.

4. "Account Director"

Former Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcel Digital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn digital marketing and client service skills. Ben the owner is very reasonable and helpful - great guy.

Cons

The team is very young.

Advice to Management

Hire more mid to senior level people to provide opportunities for career & personal development.

5. "Great company with a closeknit team"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcel Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for professional growth. If you're interested in an area of online marketing or analytics, chances are you'd be able to take on some of that work and learn while doing so.

Big emphasis on the team itself. The CEO made a big effort to make sure we grew close not only professionally but personally as well. Happy hours and company-sponsored get-togethers were a regular thing, as well as a casual (but very productive) work environment. We all knew everyone working there, and some of us would hang out regularly outside of work as well.

It's a dynamic agency and definitely not a corporate one. For me this was a huge pro since at the time I wasn't too sure what area of marketing I was most interested in and wanted to focus one. If you are the type that prefers to do the same set of tasks day-in and day-out, this may not be the best fit. If you like a constantly changing environment though, few choices are better.

Cons

When I was there, they were pretty strict on no working from home but I've heard this has since changed. Other than that, there weren't many. The CEO always had an open door and encouraged employees to reach out if they had any questions or concerns.

Advice to Management

Not much. I tremendously enjoyed my time there and the team they had built.

6. "Great company, talented employees"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marcel Digital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Owner is extremely involved in the business and his employees. He has created a very tight environment.

Managers are highly experienced in Digital Marketing. The ELT is thoughtful in both the growth of the business and the wellness of their teams.

You get lots of experience in different parts of digital marketing due to small nature of group.

Great work life balance. As long as you get your work done, and are a team player the company is very good about helping your needs.

Extremely nice health benefits considering the size of the company. They spend a lot of time fighting for their employees to get the best they can.

True team environment. You can talk to anyone at anytime about anything. They create a strong environment of trust.

Cons

Onboarding new employees can be difficult. There's a lot to learn in a short period.

Advice to Management

I really had a great experience there because of management. Continue to support your staff. Continue being transparency, I have brought that with me and it has brought immense value.

It is easy to lose people who develop a more specialized focus.

Most of all, keep raising the bar. You have some of the most talented folks I've gotten to work with.

7. "Interactive Agency leading the online advertising growth."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

This is a rapidly growing Interactive Agency that allows its employees to grow through hands on learning, training and testing. We have the opportunity to work with many facets of this industry while managing high level relationships.

Cons

Again, this is a small company. Many people may find the break from traditional corporate environments tough to adapt to. There is also a great deal of person accountability.

Advice to Management

None - we continue to grow well as a company.

8. "Great Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Marcel Digital as an intern

Pros

As my frist internship I gained a lot of valuable experience at Marcel. I was able to learn not just about SEO but how a professional office operates.
    Welcoming team.

Cons

Internship program wasn't clearly defined and sometimes I was left with no tasks to do.

9. "Good place to develop your digital marketing skills"

I worked at Marcel Digital full-time

Pros

Small digital marketing shop, smart people, interesting mix of clients & projects, fun culture.

Cons

Bit of a boys club, hard to advance, not full service so you'll miss working in some growing areas (like media buying, content management, mobile advertising etc) , too small to provide much in the way of external training opportunities or access to conferences.

Advice to Management

Build career paths for your employees. Help the junior employees grow through access to conferences and external training opportunities. Invest in digital tools to make each role more efficient.

"Good company that continues to work its way up"

I worked at Marcel Digital full-time

Pros

-It's a very dynamic environment right off the bat. By the time I left, I was exposed to so many areas I had only limited experience in before. For people that are interesting in learning more about the industry from different angles like me, this was probably the biggest pro of the place. If you were spending some time during the day learning about something new and were caught up on work already, mgmt was alright with that as long as the knowledge was applicable to the job or to digital marketing in general.

-The culture is usually pretty good and the owner makes it a priority to increase co-worker bonding and all that. Having beers at 4pm on Friday together was a common occurrence as well as the occasional catered lunch or breakfast. Holiday parties are a blast as well.

-Diverse client list goes along with the whole dynamic nature of most agencies. The types of industries and businesses the company works with are from all over the board.

-Pay is decent but not great. Same goes with bonuses and raises.

Cons

-The dynamic aspect, while it's a plus for me, could be a con for others. If you're interested in only doing keyword optimization for a few PPC accounts or just doing on-site audits on the SEO team, you won't like this place. You WILL be working in new areas given today's overlap with online marketing mediums.

-Even though the company has been around for over 10 years, recent structure changes in mgmt has prompted some overall shifts in strategy and where the business should be heading, and how to go there. Because of that, some parts of the business might be in a flux a bit more than they were a year or two ago just because they're creating new formal processes for the areas that need them, and digging deeper into new revenue streams.

-It's getting better, but in the past new clients were brought on board with what turned out to only be a partial understanding of what they were getting and what they had to do to help their campaigns succeed. This is more of an account manager and salesperson task though and relaying the necessary information at initial meetings.

Advice to Management

Allow remote work occasionally and ease up on the no working from home policy as long as the employee proves they're responsible. Work out processes for the areas or tasks that make sense for them, but understand the dynamic nature of online marketing and don't try to force processes to work for tasks and strategies that are fluid and constantly changing given the client and their goals. Note to readers that Kelly is no longer the CEO. Her partner, Ben Swartz, is now CEO/owner of the company after her resignation.